VW Golf Mk4 PD (130) Diesel Manual - Service/Oil Light - KenC

Good Afternoon, due to illness I have not used my VW much during the last year.

Up until now I have always had the oil/filter changed one month before the MOT date, the annual mileage has always been 4 to 5 thousand.

I noticed a few weeks ago the SERVICE/OIL warning flashed to alert me when there was 2000 miles to go until service.After further use the warning changed to 1900 to go.

I parked the car and did not use it for 2 weeks, today I used the car and the SERVICE/OIL warning has leapt past the remaining 1900 miles and "tells me" to SERVICE NOW

I have checked my service diary and realised that since the last OIl/Filter was replaced in February 2013 I have travelled only 1600 miles.(TOTAL)

I am thinking about ignoring the message until the summer comes and more miles have passed.

Does anyone have any thoughts or theories about this ? thank you

VW Golf Mk4 PD (130) Diesel Manual - Service/Oil Light - thunderbird

You should be fine but considering how cheap 5 litres of oil and a filter are its daft not to adhere to the manufacturers schedule.

VW Golf Mk4 PD (130) Diesel Manual - Service/Oil Light - elekie&a/c doctor

The service light indicator is calculated on mileage and time,so it is likely to be the latter that has flagged the service now.I would re-set it yourself and do an oil and filter service next year.hth

VW Golf Mk4 PD (130) Diesel Manual - Service/Oil Light - craig-pd130

As said above, the service indicator uses time and mileage to signal when a service is due. As long as the car gets thoroughly warmed up when you drive it (i.e. you drive at least 10 - 15 miles before stopping) and you're using VW505.01 / PD spec oil you should be fine waiting a few months until the summer.