Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - Miller2

Hello. Now my Renault Twingo (which has been a totally joyless car to own) is approaching its third birthday I'm looking to chop it in for something new. As I only do 5-6000 miles a year on mainly urban roads with only myself in the car 90% of the time I was looking for something of a similar size but with a bit of a higher spec.

As Skoda seems to have a decent reputation nowadays I was looking at what they had to offer on their website and I originally had my heart set on a Citigo. £8880 for the 1.0SE, for which you get the basics plus aircon. Then I saw they are doing the Fabia 1.2SE for £8995. Now I realise its a run out model as the new Fabia will be arriving later this year, but even so the spec is much higher than the Citigo for near enough the same money.

Performance wise they are pretty much identical, although the Citigo offers 10+ MPG more, but with my low mileage that isn't really much of an issue. On the other hand the Fabia has a higher spec (metallic paint, alloys, electric mirrors, trip computer) and is basically a current VW Polo with a Skoda badge. The equivalent Polo in the same spec would be at least £13000. Obviously the resale value won't be great with a new model due out soon.

I'm going to look at both tomorrow, however I would appreicate any opinions from owners of both these cars. And please, no one reply with "neither" lol. I did look at the soon to be run out Corsa but could only get a poverty spec 1.0 for the same money.

Edited by Miller2 on 25/01/2014 at 20:52

Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - Collos25

If you think a Twingo is joyless then drive a Citigo a Twingo is the height of exitement in comparison it is also better built.The Fabia is shortly to replaced so a good discount should be available on existing models.

Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - KB.

I just had a look at the broker4cars website and saw the cheapest 1.2 12valve Fabia costs £7646

NEW SKODA FABIA HATCHBACK SPECIAL EDITIONS 1.2 12V 69 Limited Edition 5dr

If you do go for it check out getting the extended warranty at the time you buy it....ditto the servicing plan.

LIST 8995 Discount 1349 Price 7646

Edited by KB. on 25/01/2014 at 23:11

Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - Avant

I agree with KB - look at the brokers, but ber in mind that they don't all offer PX if that's what you're looking for.

Between Citigo and Fabia - I'd say it's horses for courses. The basic 59 bhp Citigo isn't very lively, but may be enough. The higher-powered (74 bhp) version is more nippy but list price is over £10,000 (although less from a broker perhaps).

The Fabia is quite a lot bigger, so again the 60 bhp model isn't going to be a ball of fire. But it'll be a good workhorse.

I think it may depend on what your definition of 'joyless' is - outright acceleration; handling; comfort; equipment? Get a good long test drive in each of them and see what you think. In general I think you'll find the Citigo more nippy, the Fabia more substantial.

Hi KB. £7646? Doubt I could get the Fabia for that price unless it was a year old demonstrater.

Hi Avant. The Fabia in question has the 70 bhp engine, but even so the performance figures are not very good but that is probably my last consideration when buying. Build quality and spec are more important. "Joyless" with regards to my Twingo is more to do with its poverty spec, performance wise its better than the Fabia. I think when we hit 40 the priorities change a bit :-)

Edited by Miller2 on 26/01/2014 at 01:08

Why are you doubtful, Miller2?? It's on their website....you must have had a look yourself, surely? I'm not in the habit of quoting black and white quotes unless I've seen them for myself.

My view is the Fabia has to be worth a look at that price (even if it mean't taking that price to a handful of dealers to see if they might match it. When I looked at the Citigo....followed straight away by the Fabia....I felt the Fabia to "feel" more substantaial with it's conventional interior (with no bare paint on the doors) and easier to get in and out of (there seems to be a very wide sill on the Citigo to step across which isn't evident on the Fabia.

If PX is a problem then there's nothing more to add except to suggest WBAC and hope that you get a fair price.

Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - Collos25

Even plastic wheel liners are an extra on the citigo/up/mii and the three cylinder engine iis runs anything but smooth.The Fabia is a much better allround vehicle more room and feels much nicer to drive.

Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - johncyprus
I can recommend the Skoda Fabia; we hired one in Spain last year and I assumed I wa a 1.4 litre and was surprised to see it was a 1.2 when I saw the paperwork. A great all rounder, good build quality.
Skoda - Skoda Citigo 1.0SE or Fabia 1.2SE - industryman

Miller2, for information - the current Skoda Fabia is based on the previous Polo chassis. The latest VAG super-mini chassis was introduced for the SEAT Ibiza (2008 on), then the current Polo (2009 on), followed by the Audi A1, and presumably will be under the new Fabia due shortly.

Well I went to look at one yesterday and have to say I was impressed. Ok it was no ball of fire to drive but it looks and feels solid and I liked the interior and instrumentation, the young generation would consdier it dull but everything is in the right place with no silly creases or sharp edges.

I wasn't as happy with the salesman. Offered pretty much what I expected for my part ex but no discount at all off the list, not even a tank of petrol. I think I will pay a visit to the next nearest dealer sometime this week and see if they can do any better.

I did give the broker4cars website a ring but they have not go back to me yet. £7646 seems very optimistc I must say, even when you consider its a run out model.

Well I went to look at one yesterday and have to say I was impressed. Ok it was no ball of fire to drive but it looks and feels solid and I liked the interior and instrumentation, the young generation would consdier it dull but everything is in the right place with no silly creases or sharp edges.

I wasn't as happy with the salesman. Offered pretty much what I expected for my part ex but no discount at all off the list, not even a tank of petrol. I think I will pay a visit to the next nearest dealer sometime this week and see if they can do any better.

I did give the broker4cars website a ring but they have not go back to me yet. £7646 seems very optimistc I must say, even when you consider its a run out model.

Well you can't do any more than that then. It sttil shows on the website at that price and, to be honest, having looked at the spec it seems the bargain of a lifetime...air-con, C/locking, metallic, alloys....etc. Be pleased to know the outcome. Bear in mind that the new Fabia isn't due to show at the Paris Motor Show till something like November and with the new one not due till 2015.

And yet again a poster asks questions, gets prompt and well intentioned answers......

.....and that's it! No further input from the OP - even if only to say they're still looking or changed their mind or whatever.