mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - MikeyBan

I've a mazda 6 2010 without an engine too. I had the car 7 weeks when The oil light flickered on and off and after 3 miles I pulled over to dip the car for oil. It was full so I rang my mechanic who collected the car. He rang me an hour later to tell me there was serious engine damage. He dropped the sump to find the oil strainer blocked with carbon sludge and steel filings. The filings are from some major bearings somewhere in the engine. So what's the cause and who's fault is it? Either the injectors are leaking fuel into the engine, which in turn is mixing with the oil and changing the properties of the oil, it normally acts as a lubricant but also cools the engine. Now here is where I post an opinion of a former mazda technician who worked on many mazdas with this blocked sump strainer problem. Apparently when you get your car serviced with mazda they are told drop the sump and check the strainer as part of the service, this alone tells me that mazda know that there is a problem with there diesels. Every time the DPF filter regenerates it releases some diesel into the engine which again changes the oil and affects its properties, which means it can't keep the metal parts of the engine cool enough, so what happens with the heat and the friction is that the softest part of the engine gives way. This is usually the crank bearings, which is the metal filings that mix with the oil and finish up in the sump oil strainer. This in turn prevents the oil pump from picking up any oil which is a double whammy for the lubrication of the engine. This can cause failure of the engine and sometimes the turbo can also be seriously damaged. I hope someone out there will take mazda to court over this as for me I don't have the cash to risk on a big court case. Apparently this is not just a maxes problem plenty of Audi and Toyota landcrusers out there with similar problems too. I hope this helps explain the problem a bit more.

i have rang mazda and they don't want to know about it, and the dealer ( not a mazda dealer) refuses to repair or refund me so if i go the legal route, i cant afford to lose. any advice.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - tony g
Hi.
You need to pursue a claim against the dealer who sold you the car in the small claims court.

Pay for an expert opinion on what caused the problem and use that to support your claim .

The court costs to you are in the region of £300 ,if you lose your not liable for the other sides costs .

You can download the SCC forms online .
mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - focussed

Sound advice from tonyg as usual - just one small point about your remark about taking Mazda to court, -you can't because Mazda are not the vendor of the vehicle,even if you had bought it from a Mazda dealer and that's why all manufacturers sell through dealers. Not just cars, just about everything you can think of is sold through a dealer or a retailer. Even if it's advertised as a manufacturer selling direct, it'll be a separate company.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Graham567

If the court find in your favour and they still don't pay up then take it to the high court and get a high court order to pay and send in the sheriffs.(Been watching the program on the BBC!)

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Collos25

And if its a LTD company you will more than likely get nothing for all your trouble -also on the BBC radio 4.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - tony g
We all look forward to a positive or meaningful comment from collos !

Isn't the point of this forum to try and help people who take the trouble to ask for advice !
mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - Avant

It is indeed Tony: sometimes the advice has to be blunt and not what the questioner wants to hear - but as you show by your own posts, it can always be polite and as constructive as possible (Collos, please note). It's particularly useful to have your input from a dealer's perspective.

It's disappointing that this newer diesel Mazda is having engine problems (I'd thought it was older models than this), but as said above the claim has to be against the dealer with whom the buyer has had a contract, not Mazda even if they are to blame.

The advice surely has to be - don't buy a diesel Mazda. Indeed the longer I moderate this forum the more I think that people need to think very hard before they buy any used high-mileage diesel. Tony - is that too extreme a view?

Edited by Avant on 26/01/2014 at 00:08

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - Brit_in_Germany

If the car is still under the manufacturer's warranty, I would have thought that there would be a claim against them for failure to meet contractual obligations.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - Armitage Shanks {p}

No, it isn't. The manufacturer may chip in with a contribution to rectification, up to 100% but the claim is against the supplier. If you you bought a kettle from Currys, made KettleKing plc, and it went wrong, where would you start your complaint? Currys!

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - bazza

As T says, the claim is against the dealer seeing as you've only had it 7 weeks. Is the dealer a main dealer? Not that it matters as you are covered by the SOG act. But I would also phone Mazda Customer Services to establish exactly why they "don't want to know". Is the car still under warranty and does it have a FSH? Get all the facts together and be polite with them, keeping only to the facts.

An independant engineers report will be enormously useful if you need to go through Small Claims Court.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - rinty

I am going through very similar issues with my mazda 2010 CX7.

same issue - metal fileings. Whole story is on Caravantalk forum in the Towcar section under the 'Oh dear' thread.

One point alreday mentioned - small claims court is only up to £3000 which wont get a new engine for your Mazda 6 - next step is county court.

I'm in a qunadry as despite my solicitor telling me that I have a VERY good case there is 'always' a chance that you could loose.

I was on BBC yesterday talking about it. If you google BBC On Your Belhalf youll get it

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - tony g
(One point alreday mentioned - small claims court is only up to £3000 which wont get a new engine for your Mazda 6 - next step is county court.)

In England and Wales the small claims court maximum claim limit was raised to £10'000 from April 2013 .in Scotland and N Ireland the limit is £3000 .
mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - Galaxy

You beat me to it!

www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/law_e/law_legal_sys...m

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - rinty

Sorry - didnt realise that the small claims limit was different 'on the maonland' - just another example of us trailing behind over here.

MikeyBan - your description of the breakdown is almost identical to mine.

Edited by rinty on 26/01/2014 at 14:05

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - tricky

Hi. My CX7 Dec2009 diesel 59540 miles, full Mazda serv history has just done the same on 14 feb on my way into work....oil light suddenly comes on.....and stays on. It has been recovered to Mazda dealers and is due to have sump removed on Monday or Tuesday for inspection.Oil level was correct. Mechanic who checke checked dipstick with me on forecourt tapped the engine cover badge and said there have been issues with this engine with the oil pickup strainer clogging up.

I would be interested to hear what Mazda's reaction was to your cx7 problem as they appeared to know the fault before the sump is removed and seem to imply some cleaning up is needed once pickup is removed. My impression is that my engine is already wrecked and despite 4 years of servicing by Mazda solely the car was never recalled whether in or out of warranty despite the manufacturer and dealer being aware.

Please do respond as I am deeply disappointed as I love my cx and had planned to keep it several more years. I am prepared to support current protestations etc and I will endeavour to get up to speed over the next few days with the links to bbc etc as provided here.

If there's a battle to be fought then you have just found another ally!

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - xtrailman

Check out the caravantalk towcar forum under the odear thread.

Rinty has been offered help from mazda, but still has to find around £2000.

Problem is the injector seals leaking, causing slug blocking the pickup strainer, and starving the engine of oil.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - gordonbennet
Problem is the injector seals leaking, causing slug blocking the pickup strainer, and starving the engine of oil.

Presumably the present disasters are the result of progress and how the injectors are fitted, lots of different makes suffering the same fate, blow by carbonising the oil and, aided and abetted by starship mileage oil change intervals (there's a backwards step) we end up with these problems.

Why are injectors fitted like this now, it can't just be to make direct injection easier, this was never a problem with iDi engines.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - NARU

As I've just posted there ...

This is the same as the issue which has been affecting Toyota's diesel engine. The injectors are in the oil in the head, so any seal leakage puts exhaust gases into the oil, which gradually sludges up - blocking the oil strainer.

I know it's no comfort, but Toyota have done a recall to replace the injector seals, and any cars showing signs of sludge get a new engine. I think up to 7 years/100,000 miles.

It did take a lot of campaigning from people who had an engine failure. In the early days they were facing much the same battles as you poor folks. I hope you get a sensible resolution with the dealer and Mazda.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - KevinS

I too own a CX7 10 plate, 45k miles with FSH at M dealers, exact same issue. now cosidering going legal as offer from Mazda insulting, they clearly have their heads in the sand.

This problem (and me) wont go away.

Have you had a resolution?

KS

Hi

I have the exact same problem, no resolution yet and a CX7 with an empy engine space and a dealer insisting I cover £960 of their costs to remove the engine from my CX7 so Mazda UK to be "sure" the failure is terminal. Of course it is.....and Mazda know this the simple evidence provided; clogged filter, carbonised injector, even the dealer new the score, they had another engine on the floor with the exact same problem. This together with all the threads on the symptoms of failure are well documented now

I see this as another discraceful stance to expolte their csutomers in time of extreme distress

Mazda UK have their heads in the sand and either they hope the issue will go away (as most of the cars failing are out (or just out) the Warranty and therby negating any responsibility on there part. or offering deals at 40/60% leaving customers paying out £2K-£4K. for the misfortune of buying one of the so called "Bullet Proof Reputation".

Well not any more

Why oh why dont hey include a simple check (even if it costs a little time and money) at service intervals ?. It took my technician 15minutes to remove the top cover and remove injectors and 15 minuts to uncover the sump.

No1 Injector covered in Carbon and the oil strainer more clogged than my Nans tea strainer.

Even an apprentice mechanic could have done this.

Can any successful owners of failed Mazda 2.2 Diesals that got a satiactory resolution please add to the tread.

A piece of advise to any Mazda 2.2 Diesal engined owners... GET YOUR ENGINE CHECKED NOW AS I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE IS NO WARNING OF THE IMPENDING DOOME !!. It occures on low milers like mine and those done average distances.

KS

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - Cyd

Why oh why dont hey include a simple check (even if it costs a little time and money) at service intervals ?. It took my technician 15minutes to remove the top cover and remove injectors and 15 minuts to uncover the sump.

not necessary to remove the sump! When changing the oil and whilst the sump is empty, simply put an endoscope in through the plug hole to inspect the inside. Cheap endoscopes can be had off eBay for as little as £30 and most electrical wholsalers sell them aimed at electricians from about £100 upwards. No rocket science required!

Thanks, an obvious solution

Hi

I have the exact same problem, no resolution yet and a CX7 with an empy engine space and a dealer insisting I cover £960 of their costs to remove the engine from my CX7 so Mazda UK to be "sure" the failure is terminal. Of course it is.....and Mazda know this the simple evidence provided; clogged filter, carbonised injector, even the dealer new the score, they had another engine on the floor with the exact same problem. This together with all the threads on the symptoms of failure are well documented now

I see this as another discraceful stance to expolte their csutomers in time of extreme distress

Mazda UK have their heads in the sand and either they hope the issue will go away (as most of the cars failing are out (or just out) the Warranty and therby negating any responsibility on there part. or offering deals at 40/60% leaving customers paying out £2K-£4K. for the misfortune of buying one of the so called "Bullet Proof Reputation".

Well not any more

No1 Injector covered in Carbon and the oil strainer more clogged than my Nans tea strainer.

Even an apprentice mechanic could have done this.

Can any successful owners of failed Mazda 2.2 Diesals that got a satiactory resolution please add to the tread.

A piece of advise to any Mazda 2.2 Diesal engined owners... GET YOUR ENGINE CHECKED NOW AS I CAN ASSURE YOU THERE IS NO WARNING OF THE IMPENDING DOOME !!. It occures on low milers like mine and those done average distances.

KS

mazda 6 2.2 sport - mazda 6 engine failure under warranty - rossy71

Just wanted to balance some of the gloom on here and despair with Mazda with some praise for their customer service and unexpected successful resolution to what seemed to be a fatal engine failure.

My 2009 Mazda6 2.2 diesel had been running great until 5 weeks ago, when it suddenly wouldn't start and then sounded like a tractor. Cue breakdown and recovery to my usual garage, who diagnosed cam chain slippage, oil pump failure and knackered valves and injectors = new engine or scrap value.

The car has full service history, Mazda up til 50,000m, indie garages thereafter, and being out of warranty and not a main dealer purchase, I wasn't expecting too much when I phoned Mazda customer services to see if they could offer any help.

Surprisingly, they suggested getting it to the nearest Mazda dealer to inspect, which I did, and called me a day later to say that there had been a cam chain recall a couple of years ago and they'd see what they could do.

Again, I wasn't holding out much hope, but after four weeks, numerous calls and the Mazda dealer being pressed by the customer services team to dismantle the engine, inspect all the damaged parts and provide a full report, I've had confirmation today that Mazda will cover most of the cost of repair to rebuild the engine, which will come back with a two year warranty.

Had a case manager at Mazda called Zoe Doyle, who has been superb at pushing the dealership to provide reports and pursue the case, and overall it has been great customer service. Based on the reports here, I wasn't expecting too much, but Mazda has come through on this one to get me back on the road and prevent a very expensive write off

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Collos25

If you care to read my post I am repeating what was stated on radio 4 not my own thoughts .But then you put pen to paper before you really thing.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - alan1302

If you care to read my post I am repeating what was stated on radio 4 not my own thoughts .But then you put pen to paper before you really thing.

How would we know though? You put a point and then said also on Radio 4. So that could mean that was your point and view and it had also been mentioned on Radio 4.

Maybe try and be clearer in what you are saying? And think it through before putting 'pen to paper' :-)

Edited by alan1302 on 17/02/2014 at 11:44

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - focussed

If you have recieved a county court judgement in your favour against a limited company and they don't pay, as happened to me,you can apply for a compulsory winding-up order against the company to liquidate the company to get your money, if they've got any that is.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - csgmart

If you have recieved a county court judgement in your favour against a limited company and they don't pay, as happened to me,you can apply for a compulsory winding-up order against the company to liquidate the company to get your money, if they've got any that is.

I tbelieve there is a significant cost to getting a winding-up order (based on what our solicitor told us about a company that failed to pay us when we won a case against them).

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - mazda diesel pants
I had a lucky escape with my mazda 6 2.2 diesel 45000 miles full dealer service history . Oil light ,blocked strainer due to carbon build up from leaking injector seals . Got the seals done had oil pump dropped out and cleaned and got rid as quick as possible .
Phew !
mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - brum
I had a lucky escape with my mazda 6 2.2 diesel 45000 miles full dealer service history . Oil light ,blocked strainer due to carbon build up from leaking injector seals . Got the seals done had oil pump dropped out and cleaned and got rid as quick as possible . Phew !

Hopefully you told the purchaser what had been done and why.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Armitage Shanks {p}

Only answer questions asked by the buyer. With this engine's reputation he should have known that there are problems

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - mrwill

My Mazda 6 2.2 diesel is at the local Mazda dealer for after the oil light flickered on. '59 plate, 62,500 miles, FMSH. They tell me that the oil strainer is badly carbonised, but no signs of metal fragments, thank goodness. One of the fuel injector seals has failed, causing carbonisation.

The latest I have from them is that it in not going to be possible to clean the oil strainer, and it is not possible to replace it. They suggest the way forward is a replacement of the part of the engine which holds the filter. This is supposed to cost around £680, and will take six hours at £100 p/h. Plus the replacement of the injector, and some largely unnecessary diagnostic work they claim to have done.

I'm thinking that the strainer could be cleaned up if they could be bothered to do it, and that the repairs they suggest are going to be unnecessary.

Look forward to any comments. Many thanks.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - HandCart

Firstly, are we right to assume that your car is NOT still covered by a warranty?

I don't know the intricacies of your engine, but it sounds odd that it has a design where the oil strainer cannot be replaced, and cannot even be cleaned?!?

And "the part of the engine which holds the filter" costs £680 alone? What part is that?
When you say filter, do you mean the oil filter, or the strainer?

I'm also a little thrown by the term "carbonised". What, exactly, has blocked-up the strainer? Has excess diesel fuel reacted with the sump oil to form some sticky gunk?

To me, their message sounds peculiar. If there is any way to get a second opinion, I'd be trying to investigate that. If the strainer COULD be cleaned or cheaply replaced by some other garage, it might be worth paying to get the car towed to them.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - daveyK_UK

I agree with handcart.

Mazda have been proven to be clueless when it comes to the 2.2 diesel engine, and the dealers are just as bad.

Get it to an indi for a 2nd opinion, check the honest john good garage reccomendations section.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - abcds
Exact same has happened to me, 68000 miles, full Mazda service history. had the car for less than 3 months, before engine siezed. 6 months later, solicitors fees ever increasing and still no car. Through the small claims court anything less than £10000 you can not claim legal fees against the looser. No justice for the average person and the dealers know it. You have to weigh up the cost of it all and so far a £6000 car has cost me £10000! the real question is, once the oil system is contaminated with carbon, despite being flushed and the engine reconditioned, will the oil system be clear?
mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Ceedubdub

Im glad to have come across this post. Im in Australia with a 2009 Mazda 6 diesel with the same problem as everyone else on here. I haven't found much info on the issue here though. There's not too many Mazda 6 diesels getting around!

Mazda have quoted me AUD$22,000 to fix the problem! The cars only worth about $15,000 so im left to search for reconditioned engine/parts and so on.

Mazda can't seem to give me a service report or a straight answer as to why the oil pressure dropped suddenly. They did however provide a list of parts it needs to be fixed (all in $AUD).

1. Partial engine without injectors $10654.16
  2. Engine gasket set $592.22
  3. Turbo Charger $3374.62
  4. Holder Nozzle 4x $5273.31
  5. Washer Nozzle 4x $19.44
  6. Engine oil filter $20
  7. Engine oil $110.00
  8. Engine coolant $100.00

If and when my car has a new/recon engine, i will also say goodbye to the DPF and have it remapped/tuned for hopefully trouble free motoring!

A real shame they have this issue, such a great car otherwise.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - muzyk

Hi Guys, same happened to me twice! First few years ago on 2.0 diesel mazda 6 90k miles and now on CX7 2.2 78k miles. Of course mazda doest want to hear about problem. I hope there will be more people here and we can make group case against mazda! NEVER MAZDA AGAIN!!

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - RobJP

Let me get this right. You bought a Mazda. It suffered engine failure. Mazda didn't want to know, so ...

you went and bought ANOTHER Mazda.

Which has suffered engine failure. And Mazda don't want to know.

Of course, you're not providing ANY real details at all. How old the cars were, if they'd been bought from Mazda, if they'd been serviced properly, if they were under warranty, etc, etc.

I suspect there's a lot more than the minimal details you've provided.

If not, then you're really responsible for your own troubles. "Once bitten, twice shy", really should apply.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - muzyk

Here is brief story. Both cars were bought after warranty.

First Mazda 6, bought it from trade dealer with 68k miles on clock. The car was 3 years old. I didn't service at Mazda dealer but done service regularly and I always care and look after my cars.

At 90k during driving on motorway back home I started hearing knocking noise under bonnet. Pull over, been towed home. Next day I went to local mechanic they took oil cover off- lots of metal bits in oil, "smog" ( oil suction blocked) means common problem with those engine 2.0 diesel and sounded like rod bearing.I was hit with quote for new engine!!! 4-5k pounds

I was shocked!!!!!

Decided to part exchange with Toyota Celica as I needed reliable car quick. Toyota offered 1k pounds so I lost about 3 thousand pounds!

After few years with trouble free Celica I had to buy family car. I thought I will give a try with Mazda again so in october 2013 I bought Cx7 2.2 diesel 2010 with 55k on clock from trade dealer. This car has good service history although was serviced every year but sometimes past 12.5k service schedule. Had 3 services done before I bought it: 07/04/2011 -13k miles,02/04/2012-30k miles, 29/01/2013 -45k miles. Two of them with Mazda dealer.

After purchase I went to Mazda dealer in Tamworth for service and good check up. I asked them to check timing chain and they said its fine. I drove for Christmas to Poland and all was good but there was one think I wasn’t sure about… Mazda put castrol magnatec oil instead dexelia dpf. I already knew about customer problems with dpf engines. I rung Mazda garage in Poland and they advised me to come and change it. So I went and after 20 min I been told that timing chain needs to be change!! From driving 1200 miles??? I wrote letter to Mazda customer service in UK about problem I got as well as RECAL for those engines with same problems. Mazda refused to cover the cost of 700 pounds and reason for that is the services weren’t done on time! It shouldn’t matter as this is ENGINE FAULT and mazda should cover it! Decided to go ahead and After paying 700 pounds I went back to Mazda Tamworth and hit them with bill and complain that they didn’t check properly my car. Mazda gave me 120 pounds back!! Joke!!!

I continued servicing my car in Poland at local Mazda dealer. Everything was fine for 10k miles until few days ago.

I was driving back from work on motorway and started hearing noise in engine, Sounded the same like in my old Mazda 6. I couldn’t believe it! I went to Mazda Tamworth and been told that is rod bearing and needs half an engine replaced!!!!! Quote 4,5-5k pounds!!! I asked mazda manager to speak to Mazda customer service to cover it as Its engine fault and since I bout it Id did service at Mazda dealer. MAZDA refused!!! I couldn't believe!! Why I'm bothering to pay more for dealer service as I get nothing back!!!

I got some quote from independent garages in Poland to get engine rebuild (if its not damaged completely) and they said could cost up to 1,5k pounds if of course engine still could be repaired. I I decided to ship my car to Poland at cost of 350 pounds.

I understand that this thread is about cars under warranty but I think people should be aware about how bad those engines are!

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Avant

The thread has expanded over time to include cars which aren't under warranty. There is also plenty of evidence about problems about Mazda diesel engines in the car-by-car reviews section of this site (click on Mazda, then scroll down to the 2008-2012 Mazda 6).

The jury seems still to be out on whether the new (2013 - ) Mazda diesels are any better: on the other hand we get very few comments about problems with petrol-engined Mazdas.

Personally I still wouldn't buy a Mazda as the last one I looked at (the CX-3) doesn't offer a space-saver spare wheel or even anywhere to put one.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Engineer Andy

I couldn't believe Mazda have done that as well - that and the CX-3 being over-priced (in my view) will seriously turn-off customers, especially in the second-hand market where I think resale values will drop sharply once the word has gotten out about the 'bottle of goo only' policy. Its bad enough being asked to shell out for £400 for a space-saver on the 3 after already spending close to £20k for a car.

I'm keeping my 3 unless and until it gets expensive to keep on the road or Mazda and others change their policies on equipment & trim options and (less so) ensure their diesels are actually reliable. Too many compromises made for my liking at present. Glad I didn't go for the 1.6D version (I have a1.6 petrol version) when I had the choice back in 2006 (it was touch and go on the costs as I was doing about 15k miles at the time) and had to endure all the problems that followed with their diesel engines - more by luck than judgement/foresight.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - irokezzas

Hi everyone I have a 2011 mazda 6 2.2D and when I bought it from another person it already had timing chain replacement and dpf issues at 55k miles. I regret buying mazda now as Im afraid of the upcoming services costs if the engine fails. Im on 62k miles now out of warranty and as I noticed my oil quickly reached the "x" point on the oil dip stick after an oil change. As I understand the best way to protect the engine would be to remove dpf, remap, change O rings on the fuel injectors, clean/change the oil pump mesh(filter or whatever that is) and change the oil again? And then just replace the O rings every few thousand miles and you would be safe?

Are there any mechanics to confirm that as I love my mazda and dont want to sell it and put someone else in trouble? Also heard that low-ash oil would help that oil pump running.

Nobody posted here for more than 6 months. Any news from mazda?

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - galileo

Illegal to remove DPF, isn't it? Your proposed fixes may prevent problems, but do you feel lucky, given the known history of this Mazda diesel engine?

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - irokezzas

Obviously me and the rest of us here didnt check what problems this engine have before buying the car and its not our fault that Mazda failed. If there is a way to keep these engines running then why not?

The best advice we can give you is to flog it before you get expensive trouble.

If you like your Mazda 6 apart from the catastrophic diesel engine, try to part-exchange it for a petrol 6. These have an excellent reputation for reliability.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Engineer Andy

The best way to keep a turbo-diesel engine running reliably is to do a decent amount of miles p.a. and very few short trips - that's what they're primarly designed for (as well as load-handling), especially for larger cars that aren't specifically designed for load-carrying.

It staggers me to this day how many wallies still buy (higher-priced than petrols) diesel-engined cars when doing not just under 20,000 (25k+ really) miles p.a., but often well under 10k miles p.a. for just local driving/short journeys, 'just' because they believe its 'cheaper' to run because of the 'far higher' mpg.

Diesels take far longer than petrol-engined cars to get to their optimum running temperature, and thus don't achieve anywhere near the mpg quoted even for urban driving if all you do is pop down to the shops/take the kids to the local school every day. That and clogging up the engines which rapidly ruins them. Same goes for those idiots (I see them occasionally at my local Mazda dealership when I get my car serviced) who buy rotary-engined cars for the same usage pattern. Not so bad for older diesel engines without all the three-lettered acronymn components (or turbos).

The problem with buying a second-hand diesel is that, unless you can guarantee how the car was driven (type of trips - length/how often), which presumably means you need to known/trust the previous owner, you cannot tell whether it has been driven for lots of short journeys or not, and therefore it may be being off-loaded now because the previous owner now knows it'll soon go kaput in a big/expensive way within a relatively short space of time.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Geoff A S
Sorry for the delayed reply and it maybe out of time.

For this Mazda 6 2.2 D engineer there are three items you must do

1. Get the injector washers replaced regularly - on hindsight I would get it done regardless of miles if I purchased one
2. Get the sump cover dropped out and the oil mesh cleaned to avoid the blockage
3. You MUST not delay the oil change beyond 10,000 miles as the DPF regen process puts unburnt diesel into the sump so over time your oil level increases - there is a high oil level mark with an X
4. Use the recommended oil type.

From my own experience of the engine failure and research, the DPF is not the issue, it’s the injector - primarily cylinder no1 leaking and causing carbon deposits. The washers are a few pence obviously the Labour is not.
mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - badbusdriver
Sorry for the delayed reply and it maybe out of time. For this Mazda 6 2.2 D engineer there are three items you must do 1. Get the injector washers replaced regularly - on hindsight I would get it done regardless of miles if I purchased one 2. Get the sump cover dropped out and the oil mesh cleaned to avoid the blockage 3. You MUST not delay the oil change beyond 10,000 miles as the DPF regen process puts unburnt diesel into the sump so over time your oil level increases - there is a high oil level mark with an X 4. Use the recommended oil type. From my own experience of the engine failure and research, the DPF is not the issue, it’s the injector - primarily cylinder no1 leaking and causing carbon deposits. The washers are a few pence obviously the Labour is not.

That is OK if buying new and planning to keep the car for a while, but how would you determine if all those points (certainly 1 and 2) have been adhered to on a 2nd hand motor?.

Also, there have been numerous threads on the subject of this engine in the 6 or the CX5 (over the relatively short time i have been a forum member), so maybe a new thread entitled 'Mazda 2.2D' would be better than resurecting an old one?.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - The Chain

My recent terminal experience with a 2.2D Skyactiv 2016 Mazda 6 was that following 4 years of Mazda main dealer only servicing, they took the car in for a full inspection to resolve DSC SCBC malfunctions. After 2 new mass airflow meters, a carbon clean of the intake, and multiple inspections (over many trips) they finally fixed the malfunctions by re calibrating the ranges (had they simply forgotten to do this after the last safety software recall?). Importantly, the engine had been fully tested and inspected by Mazda at this point. It had it's 125k mile service (at 119k) and all seemed okay.

Until 125k miles when (you know the story by now) the oil pressure and engine management lights came on, the engine lost power and I rolled to a halt. It was collected by Mazda recovery and taken to the Mazda Garage.

The (6000 mile old) oil smelt and looked in poor condition, but was at the right level. I was charged hundreds of pounds for an inspection which concluded that the oil pump chain had snapped. The Mazda main dealer told me that the gauze in the oil pump inlet filter was clear and that there was no evidence of carbon.

The lack of oil (from the snapped pump chain) had caused terminal damage to the engine and the 4 year old car was scrap.

Personally, I struggle to understand how an oil pump chain could snap without something being very wrong. I had no warning lights until it was too late and as above, there was no carbon in the oil pump gauze according to the Mazda garage.

I drive almost entirely on motorways so despite the mileage, in engine hours this car is probably less than 15 weeks old. The car was 6 months outside (extended) warranty.

Mazda refused any kind of goodwill. Their customer support team told me that as the car had done more than 112k miles, this kind of failure should be expected. They told me to take up any complaints with the Mazda garage who serviced the car. The Mazda Garage told me this was a common issue with these engines, and that he (the Service Manager for a Mazda main dealer) would not buy a car with a 2.2D Skyactiv engine. The car was sold for scrap and I paid the inspection bill.

I looked into replacement/ reconditioned engines but found insurance can easily be invalidated. I also had other concerns about changing the engine so I decided to cut my losses. I got £1k for scrap. Car (SE-L Nav Tourer) was worth £6k the day before the chain snapped. If you have full main dealer service history, you are still on your own when you are out of warranty with a Mazda.

If you don't want this to happen to you, and in addition to other good advice, make sure the oil pump chain is replaced every 100k miles (don't expect a Mazda garage to test it during servicing). Better still buy a car with a different engine.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - skidpan

If you have full main dealer service history, you are still on your own when you are out of warranty with a Mazda.

That applies to all brands so I do not what you are moaning about. The car had done 125,000 miles, your warranty would have expired when the car had done 60,000 miles since the limit on a Mazda warranty is 3 years, 60,00 miles - whichever comes first. You may get some "goodwill" claims accepted, I have had a couple in the past but they were within a couple of months of the warranty expiring and in each case the car had done well under the mileage limit.

If you want a never ending warranty you need to buy a car such as a Hyundai which has 5 years unlimited miles and change it before that expires or possibly extend it if you can find an aftermarket warranty that is worth the paper it is written on.

If you have full main dealer service history, you are still on your own when you are out of warranty with a Mazda.

That applies to all brands so I do not what you are moaning about. The car had done 125,000 miles, your warranty would have expired when the car had done 60,000 miles since the limit on a Mazda warranty is 3 years, 60,00 miles - whichever comes first. You may get some "goodwill" claims accepted, I have had a couple in the past but they were within a couple of months of the warranty expiring and in each case the car had done well under the mileage limit.

Tyoical skidpad reply. Ignorant and unsympathetic. The OP had an extended warranty, and FDSH, warranty just 6 months out. Some goodwill should be forthcoming especially as testified by the dealer themselves these are known and common issues.

But then some on here change their cars for a new one every three years and would never fully understand what good customer service is.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - _

But then some on here change their cars for a new one every three years and would never fully understand what good customer service is.

I change my cars before the end of warranty, and I am with skidpan on this absolutely and totally!

AS I replied elsewhere a week or two ago.

How long do you want your bit of string.????

In the days when I was working for Rover/Jaguar/Landrover, IF we could do something we did, (as a dealer) sometimes taking a partial hit ourselves,

BUT it is a business, not a charity, so depending on the customer, IF it was serviced with US, IF we coulld see some future relationship (if not our customer), well work it all out for yourselves.....

An example I remember well. customer had car serviced elsewhere.

Customers car caught fire in engine bay. Car brought to us. Manufactuere refused to help as fire caused by leaking fuel filter with non original parts fitted.

My boss unwilling to repair foc.

And i didn't blame him!

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - alan1302

Tyoical skidpad reply. Ignorant and unsympathetic. The OP had an extended warranty, and FDSH, warranty just 6 months out. Some goodwill should be forthcoming especially as testified by the dealer themselves these are known and common issues.

The car had done 65,000 miles more than the standard warranty - why would you expect any good will from Mazda?

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - daveyjp

Interesting the oil pump gauze filter was mentioned with no prompting. I very much doubt after 125,000 miles it was clean. If its gauze it is designed to catch very fine particles, so it will become less efficient with age and manufacturers know this.

Ford ecoboost engines have these filters, they block, some Audis have them, they block.

Ford design them for 10 years/100,000 miles use with regular servicing. No doubt Audi do too.

The car had done 65,000 miles more than the standard warranty - why would you expect any good will from Mazda?

For the second time, the car had an EXTENDED warranty, not a standard warranty.

Personally I doubt the oil pump chain would snap without something seizing in the pump, highly unlikely. The chain is half submerged permanently in oil. These things normally last a lifetime, no manufacturer I know of has a requirement for oil pump chains to be checked or replaced at any time. Im inclined to think the dealer is fibbing because he knows Mazda will not offer any financial support. Goodwill is usually financially split between dealers and manufacturers. And that arrangement depends on how the dealer has performed warranty repairs in the past. The fact the oil smelt bad suggests the car was driven in an oil starved state for a considerable length of time, leading to eventually death of the engine. The oil pressure being just enough to stop a warning light coming on.

No doubt, the evidence was not made available for the customer or an independent assesor to inspect.. We will never know the true story.

The customer will no doubt never buy another Mazda or use that dealer again. And its yet another story that would put many casual readers off buying any Mazda.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Steveieb

Hard to believe Mazda could get it so wrong.

But knowing the Japanese are a nation to put their hands up if they make a mistake , many examples from Honda and Toyota. I wonder if this is the importers who are sticking to their guns on warranty claims and whether a letter to Mazda Japan may explain things ?

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - Steveieb

I know of a case where a UK buyer of a German brand drove all the way to the head office in Germany to complain about a noise on his car at 147 mph knowing it couldn’t be verified officially here !

Missed the bit about the extended warranty but having checked on the Mazda site about their extended warranties they state that the car must have done less than 100,000 miles for an extended warranty to be bought. When the OP's extended warranty ran out (shortly before the failure) the car would have been well over 100,000 miles thus no further extension would be possible. Just accept there is a limit that manufacturers will continue to cover cars and that this car is over that mileage, more than double the standard warranty.

If you are referring to me (I suspect you are) you need to do a bit of maths regarding my last 3 cars. BMW kept for 64 months, Seat kept for 45 months and Skoda kept for 44 months, all longer than 3 years. And how you can say that we would never understand what good customer service is beggars belief. When I spend my own money I want to be looked after, if they fall short I make sure they know about it. Seat gave me £200 when their dealer was proven to be a liar. I would never go to that garage again. I made sure the broker knew about their antics and shortly after they were dropped, perhaps just a coincidence, who knows.

If you cannot afford a new car thank the likes of me who change regularly, service and maintain the cars correctly which then go on to give the new owner long reliable service.

The chain is half submerged permanently in oil.

Had more than a few chain cam engines over the years and none have had the chain submerged in oil. They are lubricated by a pressured feed or in the case of older engines simply by splash. Huge amounts of oil are not required.

mazda 6 2.2 sport - madza 6 engine failure under warranty - bazza

This engine suffers from oil dilution from a poorly designed DPF regen system so I recall, in which case poor lubrication may have caused the oil pump chain or indeed pump to fail, especially at a fairly high mileage. Very unfortunate but many complaints about this particular engine. I'd be disappointed not to have some goodwill but at the end of the day it is just that.

Another ill informed reply from skidpan, I am talking about the oil pump chain not the camchain. They are seperate chains, and the pump/chain drive sits in the sump in the Mazda 2.2.

The same is true for those VAG engines you have.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=taC550ASm7k

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMIFIyZ3Ak

A 4 year old car regularly serviced and on time through the dealer network should last more than 125,000 miles, especially as most are motorway miles and this is one of those Japanese marques so often lauded in the backroom.

Edited by brum on 29/12/2020 at 15:26

A 4 year old car

The OP never said that, you are guessing.

In his first post the OP actually said its a 2016 car, that's all. If it was registered on 31 December 2016 its just coming up 4 years but if it was registered on 01 January 2016 its just coming up 5 years.

Without more info its impossible to say how old is but regardless, its out of the extended warranty and as I suggested above too high on miles to get another.

There is no chance of Mazda doing a thing.

I am talking about the most recent failure reported by "The chain”.

He had an extended warranty thats was 6 months expired, so likely a 4.5 year old car that had a 4 yr warranty.

My recent terminal experience with a 2.2D Skyactiv 2016 Mazda 6 was that following 4 years of Mazda main dealer only servicing,

Edited by Avant on 29/12/2020 at 23:56

The main issue is posters such as yourself telling this chap he actually should get the work done free when that is totally wrong. He has no warranty, its over, he has to pay. If he got it done free with no warranty after the best part of 5 years it would surely make those who have paid for a warranty pretty sick, I would be if I found out people were getting work done free on high mileage cars with no warranty left.

Edited by Avant on 29/12/2020 at 23:57

No goodwill in skidpan's world then.

Plenty of goodwill but only when its deserved. When a car is:

1. out of warranty (original and extended)

2. done 125,000 miles

3. is probably between 4.5 and 5 years old

goodwill is but a dream.

2. done 125,000 miles

goodwill is but a dream.

1. If its in warranty, goodwill is simply not applicable. Goodwill is what happens AFTER warranty.

2. It had an extended warrany and fsdh, warranty expired 6 months

The Mazda Garage told me this was a common issue with these engines,

3. If its a known issue to quote the dealers own words, poor design, bad quality or manufacturing fault, its enough to argue in a UK small claims court under consumer law of not being fit for purpose within the 6 years that the Consumer Act would allow. However that would not be easy or cheap requiring expert inspection and evidence to be submitted.

Skoda entertain goodwill up to 5 years using a system internally referred to as the warranty/goodwill matrix. Complex, secretive and not always forthcoming, but definitely there and ultimately negotiable, e.g. I got a new differential fitted 1 year out of warranty and well over mileage. There have been a few cases documented on sites like Briskoda of people even getting replacement engines after warranty expired.

Good customer service leads to customer loyaty, I bought another new Skoda from them. I accept that recently, goodwill seems to be lacking especially if you have a broken DSG or Haldex. Both of which have a poor reputation for reliabilty and cost the earth to repair.

According to what I read on this Forum, Toyota often fix things out of warranty foc if they think its a manufacturing issue.

Edited by brum on 29/12/2020 at 20:01

2. done 125,000 miles

goodwill is but a dream.

I fully agree with Skidpan. Do people expect a mobius loop of a warranty? carry on, never ending?

I seem to remember ORB moaning about MG lack of support not long ago.

In the real non cushy OAP on comfortable income world, many people rely critically on reliable transport for their livelihood. They can't be expected to change their cars every 3 years, many cannot afford that..If you buy new and have your car serviced by the dealer on time, do you expect it to be scrapped without warning at 4½ years, 125,000 miles?

Edited by brum on 29/12/2020 at 20:12

I seem to remember ORB moaning about MG lack of support not long ago.

In the real non cushy OAP on comfortable income world, many people rely critically on reliable transport for their livelihood. They can't be expected to change their cars every 3 years, many cannot afford that..If you buy new and have your car serviced by the dealer on time, do you expect it to be scrapped without warning at 4½ years, 125,000 miles?

Indeed, Lack of support from MG motors uk. The dealers did their best.

I will repeat it again and again. Buy from a manufacturer with a good warranty. Service at the dealers, Service packs are available and can be a lot cheaper.

I have had to make a couple of edits. Keep it polite please (as ORB has): this is a perfectly valid topic to debate but it doesn't need to be personal.

We need to remember that 'goodwill' by its nature isn't something that everyone is entitled to. I'm not defending manufacturers of faulty cars, but if a car is bought used, neither they nor the current owner has any idea how a previous owner may have driven it.

In this case goodwill is no doubt in short supply as Mazda know well that there are problems with their high-mileage diesel engines, and that if they are too generous the floodgates may open.

To anyone thinking of buying a used Mazda - stick to petrol. And get a good test drive, as the lack of low-down pull doesn't suit everyone's style of driving.