Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - Alex Smith

Immediately after our 3-year service (32,000 miles), carried out by the supplying dealership our car engine started making peculiar noises. At that point it was still within the 3-year warranty period. We alerted the dealership immediately and they have since examined the vehicle three times without identfying the fault. The oil pressure warning light comes on even when stationary and occasionally the engine cuts out. This is usually accompanied by a brief message to say to keep under 4,000 rpm (which we have never ever exceeded). We are convinced there is a major underlying problem, how should we approach this in order to get the problem fixed, preferably at Skoda's expense? We are members of the AA but don't have 'Homestart' - concerned that an independent garage may not have access to the latest diagnostic software.

Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - Simon

What kind of perculiar noises does it make? Diagnostic equipment may not help, it may be a case of looking for a good old mechanical fault. If it was me, I would start by checking whether there is an oil pressure fault and paying attention also to the timing chain tensioner on that engine.

Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - bazza

You need to find a good garage. It could be something major like imminent oil pump failure or just a level or pressure sensor fault. A good garage will check out root cause. There's quite a lot on the forums with similar symptoms - faulty sensors and electronics

But the noises would worry me and you need to get the engine thoroughly checked. Oil pump failure ( or indeed timing chain failure as above mentioned) will destroy your engine and then you're looking a thousands to buy a new one.

Thank you for your advice - we are sticking with the main dealer for now and have yet another appointment for them to review the noise. In the meantime we are driving it VERY gently. It appears the dealership has a new senior technician joining them - perhaps he will bring fresh ears and eyes to the problem... Both the things you suggest are the most likely causes and we want him to check them out.
Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - craig-pd130

Immediately after our 3-year service (32,000 miles), carried out by the supplying dealership our car engine started making peculiar noises. At that point it was still within the 3-year warranty period. We alerted the dealership immediately and they have since examined the vehicle three times without identfying the fault. The oil pressure warning light comes on even when stationary and occasionally the engine cuts out. This is usually accompanied by a brief message to say to keep under 4,000 rpm (which we have never ever exceeded).

The dealer is not fulfilling its duty to you under the terms of the warranty. There is obviously a fault, and possibly a very serious one.

As you asked the dealer to investigate the problem before the warranty expired, you need to get them to continue investigating until the fault is found and fixed. The fact that the car may now be outside of its warranty period is immaterial: the fault & symptoms have not changed.

My 10 pence worth is not to get another garage involved just yet -- this only gives the supplying dealer a possible get-out by blaming faults on what another mechanic did.

You should write to the service manager, dealer branch MD and overall MD of the dealer chain (use email for speed, but also send a copy by post), stating clearly when you first reported the fault (i.e. inside the warranty), and the dates of when the dealer had the car for investigation.

Tell them that you are not satisfied with their efforts to find and fix the problem, and that you are seriously concerned that you will be left high and dry by the dealer's inability to locate a potentially serious problem that was reported to the dealer during the warranty period.

Demand that they tell you what their course of action will be. If they will not find and fix the problem at zero cost to you, escalate it to Skoda GB customer services, using all the same information.

Good luck, and don't be fobbed off.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 04/01/2014 at 16:29

Thank you for your advice - we won't be fobbed off... Can't afford major expense and don't see why we should as it was still in warranty when the fault began. We are keeping full records of all communications and the e-mail trail so we have 'evidence' to back up our case. We will take this through to the bitter end!

Thanks for your very full response, we will follow your advice to the letter.
Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - Big John

Isn't there a common issue with the 1.8tsi re cam chain tensioner. If there is a problem with this you get a rattling noise and a potential oil pressure drop (tensioner operated by oil pressure.). If in this condition cam chain prone to jumping a touth or so. This at best can change valve timing or at worst write the engine off.

I'm not sure I'd drive this until fully diagnosed!

Just a thought....

Skoda Yeti 1.8 TSI - Engine noise and oil pressure warning light - ricojames

In my three and a half years with a Yeti, I feel Skoda dealers are excellent when they know what the problem is, then just quickly replace with new parts That's very nice, but if they are asked to kindly resolve a persistent problem, they quickly lose interest and in my case, given the brush off and told 'CASE CLOSED'. This has left me totally disgruntled and my planned interest in the facelifted model is now in doubt.