Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - Michae_l
Bought this car last January (2013) and very pleased overall except I can't get more than an indicated 37mpg under any conditions, no matter how carefully I drive. Is this normal for this car, anyone know? Or do I need to get it checked?
Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - Peter.N.

A number of factors could be at work, the sort of journeys you do for one, you will get the best consumption at a steady speed. Try driving at a steady 60 mph on a flatish road or motorway and measure your average for a few miles, you should get at least 50 mpg if its running OK. You going to pay a penalty for it being an auto, a manual would probably do 60 + mpg. An auto won't reward so much for driving it gently as the box is still consuming power however gently you drive.

Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - skidpan

We had a 52 plate 2 litre TDCi 130 manual. Had it 3 years. Went like a rocket, brilliant for long distance cruising.

But the mpg was pretty poor for a diesel. Over the 3 years it averaged a calculated 38 mpg. On the wifes commute that dropped to 35 mpg but on a long trip we could squeeze it into the high 40's.

In the same usage the C-Max 1.6 TDCi which followed it averaged 45 mpg and would get in the high 50's on a holiday run but was painfully slow.

Considering the size of the car and its performance at the time we found it just about acceptable but when you consider our current Ceed Estate has just as much passenger space, slightly more boot space, is just as comfortable as the Mondeo yet has averaged 51 mpg since we bought it things have moved on.

Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - Peter.N.

I had a C5 2.2 with a similar although not the same engine, I couldn't get much more than 40 mpg from that although I am a very gentle driver, I changed it for the 2.0. Hdi and am getting nearer 60 mpg from that and this is the early 8 valve version.

Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - craig-pd130

Is it an old-shape or new-shape model? If it's the new model, they're simply not very economical with the juice: the 08-plate 2.0TDCI estate I owned for three and a half years and nearly 40K miles averaged just over 42mpg in my ownership, and that was a manual box.

The autobox will knock that down further.

Ford Mondeo 2.2tdci auto estate - High fuel consumption - Michae_l
Thanks everyone for your input, the car is the latest Mondeo, 2011 vintage, Titanium x sport. I bought it for performance and comfort rather than economy but it seems very thirsty, have just driven to SW France at French legal limit and got only 30mpg, whereas I used to have a 2000 Merc 320 Cdi that would do close to 40mpg on the same run. Unfortunately that car had chronic rust problems, but that's another story....