2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - sparky100

Hi, my daughter is thinking of buying a C3 sensordrive. I don't know too much about these and wondered if anyone could advise if these are good buys. This one has only done 24000 miles with full service history and looks immaculate. The milage is true as i know the owner. What would be a fair price to pay for one of these. Also what should she be prepared for in the future with things wearing out.Thanks. Sparky100.

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - daveyK_UK

06 or 56 plate?

Yes it's a 06 plate.

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - Collos25

I would do a bit of homework before I bought a sensodrive they are not the most reliable of the PSA stable

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - gordonbennet

Only consider if cheap enough to throw away when the gearbox gives grief, can cost serious money to diagnose correctly and repair.

There are some (1.6 petrol engined IIRC) top range C3's about that were fitted with a proper torque converter auto gearbox, SX spec IIRC, this is a lovely box light years different from the other thing, and whilst, in theory at least, it should be a lot more reliable than satans automated manual, i don't have any info.

The sensodrive and its spawn EGS or whatever its called is an aquired tatse at best, if she decides to test drive one make sure she does a lot of stop start work and some tight close manoeuvering where precise control is called for (such as having to bump over a kerb and stop immediately after), and some hill starts...guaranteed the dealers test route will avoid all of the above.

Presumably you've checked HJ's reviews, above.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/12/2013 at 09:07

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - SteveLee

Not a bad car - surprisingly refined at motorway speeds, I would agree that the sensodrive transmission is a gamble.

Hi, is this car fully automatic or do you have to operate it by the paddles on steering wheel only. Also what would be a good fair price to offer for this car. Thanks.Sparky100.

The first part in my opinion does not come into the equation I would run a mile there are plenty of no problem cars about the Citroen c3 with a conventional gearbox for one .

Paddle and floor change and fully auto a quick look on Autotrader an eg is a mint Exclusive 2006 from a dealer with low mileage retailing at 2600 so about 1900 for a private sale .

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - gordonbennet

Hi, is this car fully automatic or do you have to operate it by the paddles on steering wheel only. Also what would be a good fair price to offer for this car. Thanks.Sparky100.

It's actually a manual gearbox complete with clutch etc, but by a system of sensors and computer controlled actuators it operates the clutch, releases and re-applies throttle, and changes gear automatically as and when required, you can drive it manually too by use of the paddles.

Can't help you with a price, few here would buy one of these out of makers warranty.

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - madf

I would not run a mile but five.

Toyota - 5 times bigger than PSA and 10 x better engineers could not make a reliable automated manual gearbox. When it went wrong - as they do - Toyota dealers largely could not fix them.

So it is unlikely a Citroen one will be very reliable and as for the dealers! Reversing, parking and starting from cold are where problems are likely to occur. And stopping at traffic lights, and going up hils and starting at traffic lights and going down hills.. and braking and acclerating.

Usually most automated maunals have low mileages.. and the reason is: they are either horrible to drive or break down a lot. Or both.

Edited by madf on 30/12/2013 at 15:30

2006 citreon c3 xtr 1.4 - Sensordrive - galileo

It's actually a manual gearbox complete with clutch etc, but by a system of sensors and computer controlled actuators it operates the clutch, releases and re-applies throttle, and changes gear automatically as and when required, you can drive it manually too by use of the paddles.

Can't help you with a price, few here would buy one of these out of makers warranty.

Absolutely agree with you, daughter had one of these (her husband's idea, not mine), it spent a lot of time back at the dealer with warranty niggles and recalls. I often wondered how Sebastian Loeb won Rally champoinships in a thing with a Citroen badge, maybe the design and build was subcontracted to proper motor engineers.