spec me a small city car - chippy1

Hi guys i really need some help with choosing a car its starting to drive me nuts now trying to choose.

My budget is £3500 i just want a reliable small car with good mpg and low tax band

these cars are what i have looked at so far

Yaris 1.3

Fiat panda 1.2

Aygo

ford fiesta tdci

the trouble is when i get interested in a car i check owner reviews and there reports put me off and now i cant decide what to get.

Hope you guys can make some suggestions

spec me a small city car - Avant

As we often say on here, when the busget is tight condition and where possible some form of service history matters more than make or model.

That said, Japanese petrol-powered cars are more likely to last longer. The Yaris 1.3 (you'll find the 1.0 underpowered unless you are going to drive only in town) is a good bet, as is the Honda Jazz.

Every car has weaknesses, and these will always be emphasised on owners' forums, because satisfied owners tend not to comment as much.

spec me a small city car - artill

Of the cars you are looking at i have had or driven frequently a Yaris 1.3 and a Peugeot 107 (same car as an Aygo), as well as a 1.0 Yaris.

All have been completely reliable, and cost buttons to run. The Yaris is probably a little more solid than the Aygo, and the 1.3 Yaris feels far the most comfortable out of town. The1.0 Yaris feels grown up compared to the Aygo, but dull. The Aygo is by far the best of them to drive.

Be careful with a second hand Aygo/107/C1. Dont buy a low spec one. They really need air con (to help de mist the large front screen in the winter). Also, whilstthe Aygo has far more room for passengers than you imagine from looking at it, the boot is tiny

If you are not bothered about how they drive the 1.3 yaris is probably your best bet.

As for the Panda and a diesel Fiesta, i wouldnt bother.

spec me a small city car - gordonbennet

Agree with Aygo/107/C1, but as suggested aircon is useful so might have to up the budget a little.

Also you want as new as you can find, the early ones were fitted with a smaller clutch with consequentially shorter life, it won't break the bank to get it changed though if it starts to slip and the upgrade is simple.

I recommend this car for one very important reason, its almost impossible to stall, will lug right down to stall revs without the slightest problem just like a good old mechanically pumped Diesel engine would years ago.

Don't whatever you do touch one of the auto versions of this car with a bargepole, its got an automated manual satan box, even Toyota can't get these right and their replacement cars its notable are all without MMT, and i suspect Aygo's replacement when it comes won't have it either.

If you want auto, and this isn't a joke by the way, try one of the rare Matiz auto's, if its purely for city use you might be pleasantly surprised the box is a gem, usefully narrow too for nipping about and parking.

Most Korean cars where auto are fitted with proper torque converter boxes.

edit, consider Daihatsu Sirion, its more or less a Yaris in a different frock, might be a bit cheaper like for like, proper auto too IIRC (but check that).

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/12/2013 at 09:17

Thanks chaps the reason i didnt buy the panda was the steering i took it along country roads and it didnt steering around corners very well at all had to slow down a lot.

I have been thinking of the Yaris because of reliability also my trips are mostly city 99% of the time. So i will look at the yaris and aygo possilbly the Daihatsu Sirion which i have looked at but i keep hearing the prices of spares are going up as the cars are no long imported in to this country.

Hi guys i can get this yaris for £2000 what do you think ?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=...3

Yes, good little car that, you won't find genuine one owner jobbies like that often and they are never really cheap, with good reason.

Make sure its had the cambelt changed at the correct time, maybe if its due again fairly soon they could do this as a sweetener...if they do play ball maybe offer to pay the difference for a genuine Toyota belt kit, worth researcing if water pump is a worthwhile replacement at the same time...probably find MADF will be along soon with the words of the wise on this car, his advice is good on these.

edit, i can see Goodyear tyres lurking on the rear wheels, can't make out whats on the fronts, proper tyres are a fair clue to how the parts that can't be seen have been maintained.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/12/2013 at 12:23

spec me a small city car - madf

Thnaks GB

(Yaris has a chain so no belt change needed.. but do check the chain is not noisy : it will rattle from start up if worn).

Check the HJ write up : as I helped write some of it, I agree with it!

Mainly rust free but check teh following:

Under the raer boot- suspension gets rusty. Check it's not affected the various metal brackets.

The petrol filler pipes from the filler are steel - and in the rear wheel arch. With a 10 year old car they will rust. rarely a problem BUT time goes on and it will be.

The radaitor corrodes around the steEl suround -check for missing fins. Check for water leaks an anti freeze stains in tHe engine.

The anti freeze is red - check the holding tank at the front . if it is mucky it could suggest problems. It's a 10 year life so due for replacement.

Check the oil filter at thE front is not old and make sure it looks as if it has bene recently changed.

The anti roll bar at the front wears out bushes: you will get knocking over bumps if failing. The rubbber bushes attaching to the suspension via vertical links wear and replcement with ToyOta parts is £55 plus labour but good pattern parts are £25.

Check the entire exhaust system for corrosion - including the exhaust manifold.

Ensure ALL the warning lights on the dash work. Especially oil and ABS. Nasty people remove the bulbs! The Toyota Forum Yaris club has lots of data.

check the brakes work with no excessive play.

Front disks corrode...like all cars.

They are tough and when maintained do high miles and are very reliable. Son commutes in a Y reg 1.0 40 miles a day and 130k miles on clock.

Easy to park and easy to drive and good for shopping (if you do it).

Battery will be due for replacement soon if oroginal. Euro Car Parts c £55.

My local MOT inspector "very reliable: very few faults".

His opinion of French cars and Fiats is not printable!

Hope this helps.

Excellent MADF, our OP knows exactly what to check now.

I didn't know these were all chain cam, got so used to Toyota's engines of this era, even 3 litre Landcruisers/Hilux, being belt driven that i assumed all were the same, having said that the North South 3 litre Diesel cambelt is such a doddle to change, 1 hour labour IIRC, that i actually prefer a belt driven cam where replacement is so simple.

Should have remembered you wrote about your experience of changing a Yaris chain only recently.

The only thing i can add to your list is to note that rear wheelbearings, as is the fashion now apprently, are irreplaceable and a whole new hub is required in the event of failure (rare), well over £100 even for pattern parts.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/12/2013 at 15:21

I have just received a message from the seller saying cam belt was changed last month. the trouble is i cant check and i know its been on sale for a few months nows.

Also i see i can get the sirion 07 plate for less than 3k with around 35000 miles on the clock, should i continue with the yaris or look at the sirion ?

Also whats the insurance group for the Yaris 1.3 as people are saying anythink from group 3 to group 7

spec me a small city car - madf

The Sirion uses Toyota engines. Body spares may be a problem as the dealer network has largely folded as there are no more Daihatsu cars sold in the UK.

spec me a small city car - Avant

If it's a chain-cam engine, I'd be a bit suspicious of a seller who claims that the belt has been changed.

spec me a small city car - dan86

Unless the seller means the auxiliary drive belt?

spec me a small city car - Chris M

Assuming it's priced correctly, I'd be suspicious of such a popular car having been on sale "for a few months".

spec me a small city car - dan86

Id agree with that as small hatchbacks gey snapped up very quickly if st the right price. I sold a friends yaris for him a couple of months back abd it sold in 24 hours of of going on auto trader.

spec me a small city car - SteveLee

Engine servicing parts for the excellent Sirion are as Toyota Yaris.

Hyundai i10s starting to appear in your price bracket - the best all-rounder in the class - but a bit ugly.

Don't overlook the Mistubishi Colt - not the best riding car in the world but other than that it drives well, is roomy for a small car and it's bulletproof.

Thanks for all your info guys i can actually spend upto £3500

spec me a small city car - retgwte

we had a panda and loved it

spec me a small city car - SteveLee

we had a panda and loved it

Coz it's a cracking car!