Volkswagen Polo IV - Bad timing chain or hydraulic tensioner? - Robvwpolo

What are the signs of a bad or faulty timing chain or hydraulic tensioner, and how do you check for these signs. Please share any information you know. Thanks

Volkswagen Polo IV - Bad timing chain or hydraulic tensioner? - madf

Rattles from teh timing cain area: at start up, at idle and at low revs. rattle increases with engine speed.

Thanks

Volkswagen Polo IV - Bad timing chain or hydraulic tensioner? - Collos25

Have you checked with VAG chain failure can be instant due to a manufacturing fault in many of VAG timing chains- they are at present replacing some 2.5 million of them free of charge.

That's really helpful. It is frustrating due to VW's quote that the chain will last a life time, it's only covered 70k miles. I'm pretty sure it is the timing chain what's faulty as I've got engine rattle at idle but having a more experienced mechanic check it out just to make sure. I'm going to look into this further, will post the result. Thanks

Volkswagen Polo IV - Bad timing chain or hydraulic tensioner? - bathtub tom

>>I've got engine rattle at idle

I had an engine (BL 'B' series IIRC) whose timing chain wore through the surface of its hydraulic tensioner. Result was a noisy chain because the oil was squirting straight through and not putting much pressure on the tensioner. Also oil pressure was reduced as the tensioner wasn't restricting the oil flow.

Couldn't see the problem until I got it out!