Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v - Wrong tyres fitted - how to calculate the pressure - bearoon

I bought the above from a private dealer over a year ago and now the front tyres need replacing however when I entered my reg plate for quotes I kept getting the warning to check what size I have fitted on the car which seems prudent before I buy however it turns out their 195/55R15 not the recommended 195/50R15!

I have debated about whether to buy four new correct size tyres despite the rear two still being in excellent nick as the cost of 50 profile tyres is quite a bit less than 55 size however I am planning to trade in the car in about three months and expect to get under a grand in return for it's condition and mileage.

So my thinking is to get two reasonable 195/55 tyres but how do I calculate what pressure these should be at or is the diffrerence so little?

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v - Wrong tyres fitted - how to calculate the pressure - skidpan

I would not worry about the pressures, most cars I have owned recently have had all the options listed from 15" to 18" wheels and the pressure has been the same for all.

What you should worry about is your insurance. If you have an accident the assessor will check many things including the tyre size. If they are non-standard and you have not informed your insurer you could find yourself without cover.

4 brand new 195 50 15 of a decent brand are not expensive, Uniroyals at Camskill are just under £37 each.

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v - Wrong tyres fitted - how to calculate the pressure - bearoon

What you should worry about is your insurance. If you have an accident the assessor will check many things including the tyre size. If they are non-standard and you have not informed your insurer you could find yourself without cover.

4 brand new 195 50 15 of a decent brand are not expensive, Uniroyals at Camskill are just under £37 each.

Darn good point you've highlighted there Skidpan and the recommendation appreciated however I need to get these fitted by Friday as driving long-distance first thing Saturday morn (and away for two weeks) so just don't think I can co-ordinate this in time so reckon I am going to have to stump up the cash and pay for four 50's

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 16v - Wrong tyres fitted - how to calculate the pressure - bathtub tom

I doubt if the salesman taking yours as trade-in will bother to read the tyre size. I'd leave the 55s on the back, I can't see it making any difference to the car's behaviour.

If it does come back and bite you, you can always (honestly) claim you didn't know it had the wrong size fitted and when it needed a couple of new tyres you had the correct size.