any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - injection doc

From February 2014 a visual inspection of the vehicles DPF will be included in the MOT !

so for those that have removed it , you may have an issue.

It will all be down to interpretation of the MOT tester and their is no physical test although interestingly enough there is a road traffic act that will allow prosectution if the vehicles emmissions exceed the limits. How this would be regulated and tested beggs more questions but nether the less it goes to show its a step in the right direction.

I have always found it very easy to spot a de-catted diesel.

For those that suddenly find themselves needing a DPF may also find it expensive when they dont have a complete unit to exchange !

The above applies to those cars where a DPf was fitted from new and since removed

Oh and the fines now run into a heathly 4 figures + for vehicles caught with DPf's removed and a prosecution follows

Edited by injection doc on 09/12/2013 at 20:04

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - dan86

Emisions equiptment is there for a reason and if you dont de enough miles to warnt a deisel car then buy a petrol one it will save you problmes with the dpf and if you do low miles deisel is a fals economy.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - Gibbo_Wirral

It depends on the car. Yes, you can get pass-through pipes for the CAT, but not necessarily the DPF. So many leave it in situ and knock out the innards.

So unless the tester is going to open it up or x-ray it, I can't see it being much of an issue for those.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - sandy56
I believe that the MOT test will have a test for confirming the presence and efficiency of the D.P.F. If it isn't there the car will fail. If it is not working as it should the car will fail.

Just buy a petrol car, problem solved. I do run a diesel car, with my own money, but I think I will be back to petrol for the next one.
any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - bathtub tom
If it isn't there the car will fail.

>>It will all be down to interpretation of the MOT tester and their is no physical test although interestingly enough there is a road traffic act that will allow prosectution if the vehicles emmissions exceed the limits. How this would be regulated and tested beggs more questions but nether the less it goes to show its a step in the right direction.

I have always found it very easy to spot a de-catted diesel.

I'd like to know how sandy56 can be sure of this and how injection doc can so easily spot a de-catted diesel (unless a pipe substitutes the DPF)?

I'll add I now drive petrol after a decade of oilers.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - Wackyracer

Makes me wonder how many people will be falsely accused of having the DPF removed, Especially people whose cars are on the border of euro 4/5.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - skidpan

Makes me wonder how many people will be falsely accused of having the DPF removed, Especially people whose cars are on the border of euro 4/5.

Its quite clear from the emmision figures on the V5, they clearly show if the vehicle was type approved and fitted with a DPF. That is the information the MOT tester will use toe pass or fail.

Not an issue with Euro5, all are fitted with DPFs, no ifs, no buts, thats the law. We have had Euro 4 cars with and without but it was, as I said above obvious from the V5.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - Wackyracer
Its quite clear from the emmision figures on the V5, they clearly show if the vehicle was type approved and fitted with a DPF. That is the information the MOT tester will use toe pass or fail.

Not an issue with Euro5, all are fitted with DPFs, no ifs, no buts, thats the law. We have had Euro 4 cars with and without but it was, as I said above obvious from the V5.

My van has a DPF fitted, There is nothing written in section 4V (or anywhere else) on the V5C to refer to any of the emmisions figures or equipment.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - pd

I wouldn't be at all surprised that when the detailed MOT regs actually come through it turns out there will be a cut-off date prior to which they won't test them.

Until the detailed procedure come out it remains to be seen which cars will be affected.

I wouldn' t take much notice of a Government press release - it is the revised MOT manual which will count.

It took them 3 years from announcement to implementing failure on an airbag light.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - skidpan
My van has a DPF fitted, There is nothing written in section 4V (or anywhere else) on the V5C to refer to any of the emmisions figures or equipment.

No idea about vans, never owned one, but on car V5's for as long as I can remember the emissions have been listed. the particle figure clearly shows if the vehicle was homologated with a DPF.

No idea about vans, never owned one, but on car V5's for as long as I can remember the emissions have been listed. the particle figure clearly shows if the vehicle was homologated with a DPF.

If they're bringing this in February I can't see it being a detail particulate check.

Firstly, there are no planned increases in the MOT time so it won't add much, secondly I don't think many MOT stations have the equipment for a particulate check (and VOSA would need to give a *lot* more than 3 months notice to make all MOT stations buy new kit) and thirdly MOT stations do not have access to V5 data beyond the chassis number etc. so would require IT changes and retraining.

From the looks of it, the check will be a simple visual one to check it is there.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - Collos25

I wonder how many people who have had their EGR or DPF removed have informed their insurance company of the fact.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - madf

I wonder how many people who have had their EGR or DPF removed have informed their insurance company of the fact.

Given that they are antisocial people who care not for the environment, my expereince is that people with that attitude will not tell the insurers as well.

(Note my careful choice of words) :-)

Given that they are antisocial people who care not for the environment, my expereince is that people with that attitude will not tell the insurers as well.

(Note my careful choice of words) :-)

I'm not going to condone people who remove bits of emission equipment from their cars but let's not get too dramatic about it.

If you *really* care for the environment the way to do it is to drive less or not at all, move closer to work, use less energy in general and live your life differently. A car with a DPF still burns plenty of fuel, still uses lots of energy and creates pollution when manufactured and still chucks nasty stuff out the exhaust.

Let's not pretend that cars with DPF's are all wonderful and go around with tulips growning out the back.

In fact, probably the most polllution is causeed by the unnecessary manufacturer of a new car to replace one which is scrapped prematurely because it is uneconomical to replace the DPF!

A 20 year old car Eu2 approval which does 2000 miles a year is still a cleaner car than an Eu4 one which does 20,000.

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - RT

Along with those who've had their engines chipped or remapped.

Indeed, some caravanners have been taken to task for not informing their insurer that a towbar is fitted (it counts as a modification) despite telling their insurers that they towed!

Edited by RT on 12/12/2013 at 12:07

any - DPF removal Part of the MOt Feb 14 - Andrew-T

Does the identification of the vehicle (to the tester) indicate whether it should have a DPF? (bearing in mind that not all test stations are bang up-to-date). I ask because my Pug 207 comes without a DPF (the 90hp model) while the 110hp version has one. Many other cars must have similar differences?