446 Mhz Two Way Radios - Chas{P}
These are sold in many of the high street stores starting at £30 a pair. Was thinking they would be a good way of keeping in touch between two cars on a long journey avoiding mobile phone
bills.

Has anyone had any experiences of how they perform between two moving vehicles?

They claim to have a range of 2 miles with no obstructions. Is this severely curtailed when used inside a vehicle?

If anyone has used them at all it would be interesting to know.

Thanks

Charles
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - NWS
Interested to know where you've seen them at that price
Currys and 'The Link'.
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - mal
Are you sure that is not the price for one.

Yes I know one is no good on it's own but I believe they are priced singularly.

Mal.
Mal

Definitely a pair but no recharging facility etc.

Charles
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - smokie
Me too, at that price. Maplin had some cheaper ones a while back.

Friends used them for car to car communication on the run down to Le Mans last year. They were excellent. Enabled them to co-ordinate petrol and comfort stops, and brought some fun into the journey. Also very useful when at the race track for keeping in touch.

Theirs were BT ones, with charger, about £70 on offer in Makro IIRC
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - smokie
Charles, you've just cost me £35. I was browsing for more info on these and found an NTL set with recharger etc on eBay with a Buy It Now price, so I did.

Will let you know if they work when I get them!

(NB there are some Motorolas on eBay that look attractively priced, but they ARE priced per handset)
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - No Do$h
Anyone had any experience of using these whilst ski-ing? Four of us are heading down to the Alps in a few weeks and will be spliiting up on the piste, but would be helpful to co-ordinate the apres ski timing.....
No Dosh ** Quick, talk motoring, Mark's coming! **
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - No Do$h
spliiting?

Started the Apres ski a little early, methinks.
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - T Lucas
Bought some in Florida a couple of tears ago for about $25 a pair (Kmart)work very well,but on a different wave length to UK,called 'personal radio'.Only prob in Florida was everybodys got them so have to keep changing channels,only happened once here,and they had bought theirs in Florida aswell.Used them when skiing and again work very well,kids love them.
Can't see any reason why they should not work perfectly in those outside conditions.

Mal.
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - frostbite
Buy a couple of cheap CB hand-helds, there's nobody using it now.
Are they not a bit big to carry while skiing.

Mal.
Especially if you get those Trigger Happy TV ones....
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - Bromptonaut
We have the BT Freeway type picked up £50 the pair at a ham radio show. Excellent for communication running in convoy or on family walks etc. Realistic range only perhaps 750/1000 metres, more with good line of sight. Go for the more sophisticated versions with 8 channels and 32 sub tones, better privacy as well as more choice of frx. Not limited to pairs, with good r/t discipline any number of participants can share a channel. Frequency allocation can get crowded at big events and inevitably they are used by fly by night security etc in urban areas.

Word of warning; don't assume they are legal everywhere in the EU. We think from the warning on similar sets branded PMR450?, (not 446 anyway) that they are prohibited in France. Still trying to get to the bottom of this as they are ideal everywhere from the campsite to the drinks aisle in Auchan.

Any gen welcome!!!
Especially if you get those Trigger Happy TV ones....

Just read this one Charles thanks for the good laugh.

PS. Watched them all.

Mal.
Sorry, all credit for the laugh should have went to NWS.

Mal.
I'm blushing
446 Mhz Two Way Radios - martint123
Me and a mate have used them for bike to bike. Cobra's - useless, about 200 yards range with the radio in an outside pocket (earpiece and mic in helmet). Half a mile if lucky stood in the open.

Martin