Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - paulwilcox1973

I'm sick of having an incompetant car to drive for the winter months and with our winter in the UK being pretty long, I'm now looking for a car which is more adapted to cold, snowy and icy conditions.

It would be nice to hear some opinions of yours. Can anyone suggest a top car from personal experience? I have been looking around and found a few lists but I'm still not quite sure. All help welcome.

Cheers,

Edited by Avant on 09/12/2013 at 20:49

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - jc2

Avoid overweight 4wd-the Panda would be the best.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - RT

Ordinary cars on winter tyres are good enough - unless you've got a snowmobile you'll still be stuck behind those on summer tyres who can't make any progress.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - doctorchris

I agree that a 4x4 Panda on all-season or winter tyres is an excellent choice in winter conditions and is the easiest to handle if it gets a bit out of line.

However, if you need to carry more than 4 people or a load, a 4x4 Dacia Duster is a good choice. A fairly wide track and relatively low (for an SUV) C of G makes for predictable handling.

However, I'm biased as last winter I swapped from the Panda to the Duster.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Collos25

The Panda 4x4 is a superb car in all seasons.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd have a look at winter tyres before deciding to make the leap and change cars - I manage just fine in a Mazda MX-5 in snowy conditions. Admittedly much of my driving is motorway or semi-rural but I've never got stuck or frightened myself. I put winter tyres on and something heavy in the boot.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - SteveLee

Indeed, the 4x4 system might help you get going - but you still have to stop 2-3 tons of heavy metal.

The Panda 4x4 is superb.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Andrew-T

This will depend entirely on where you live - which we don't know yet. You may get a winter with almost no ice to contend with. Or not.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Sofa Spud

The Mazda CX-5 might be a good choice because if the worst happens and you slide into something or roll it into a ditch, the damage might not be noticeable !

Edited by Sofa Spud on 09/12/2013 at 18:09

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - gordonbennet

Have to decide what you want from a car first, any car with all wheels driven, so long as its on sensible tyres, will be fairly competent for an average UK winter.

You can go from an all wheel drive car right up to a Landcruiser or Hilux which if fitted with winter tyres will be virtually unstoppable in any conditions likely here....so long as the roads arn't blocked by abandoned vehicles shod on summer slicks...if you want better than that try a URAL.

Some of the choices are sensible tough reliable if a little industrial (the two above,) some are fashion accessories, some are cross between the two.

Quite why the blogger in the link votes the Ewok as number 1 i haven't a clue, yes it will be a decent motor, how long it will last and how much it will cost to run is another question altogether.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""You can go from an all wheel drive car right up to a Landcruiser or Hilux which if fitted with winter tyres will be virtually unstoppable in any conditions likely here....""

Virtually unstoppable sounds good. But when you do need to stop on a slippery road, a 4x4 is not much better than a normal 2-wheel drive.

And another piece of advice re 4x4's in winter that sounds silly but is always worth bearing in mind when setting out in wintry weather in a 4x4. If you do happen to get stuck, it's likely to be somewhere that's further away from help!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/12/2013 at 13:47

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - madf

Round here you can have a 4x4 with winter tyres and be stuck behind :

a bus

or a car on summer tyres

or

car on winter tyres

or a 4x4 on winter tyres.

If you live in an urban area you way is dictated by other drivers...many of whom are barely competent in dry summer conditions.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - thunderbird

I'm sick of having an incompetant car to drive for the winter months and with our winter in the UK being pretty long, I'm now looking for a car which is more adapted to cold, snowy and icy conditions.

It would be nice to hear some opinions of yours. Can anyone suggest a top car from personal experience? I have been looking around and found a few lists but I'm still not quite sure. All help welcome.

Cheers,

Cars are not incompetent, its the person behing the wheel. Without anyone behind the wheel they are toatlly useless.

Winters in the UK are not "pretty long". Unless its a record breaking bad one at worst you get a couple of months of cold weather which include a few heavish snow falls. After a day or so all the major routes are clear, its just the side streets that remain snow covered.

I use winter tyres on both mine and the wifes car. Even in deep snow we are able to get out of our uncleared street easilly.

But even then all you need is the village idiot to block the street with his 6000 revs and no brain approach and the best 4 x 4 in the world with the best driver is in the queue.

The worst winter I have ever experienced was that of 1978 - 1979. We got the first heavy snow in early January and the last heavy snow in late March. For 2 days in February it was so bad no traffic was moving anywhere, the drifts on my route to work were 8 ft high. Except for those 2 days I got everywhere I needed to get with no issues, in a Renault 14 on Michelin ZX tyres

The worst winter I have ever experienced was that of 1978 - 1979. We got the first heavy snow in early January and the last heavy snow in late March. For 2 days in February it was so bad no traffic was moving anywhere, the drifts on my route to work were 8 ft high. Except for those 2 days I got everywhere I needed to get with no issues, in a Renault 14 on Michelin ZX tyres

That winter I was only stuck one day - because of gridlock on the estate, I couldn't even get out of the end of the road - the only issue I had was aquaplaning off into a ditch when the sudden thaw came - it was a Hillman Imp, infamous for it's lack of weight on the front end.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Cluedo
I agree with the comments above regarding winter tyres. I travel to Scandanavia quite frequently and there are very few 4x4s there. They all just stick on winter tyres and get on with it no problem. I got a ride to the airport last week in the snow at -7 deg C in a rear wheel drive E class and it just went like it was on a normal dry road.
Having said that if you do insist on 4 wheel drive I would personally avoid the Land Rover range as I still think they are relatively unreliable and would go for a Subaru Forester or Legacy - although the current Legacy is ugly IMO.
Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - Hamsafar

Audi A8 Quattro?
Mercedes S-class 4matic?

All the traction without the bulk.

Edited by Hamsafar on 13/12/2013 at 18:15

Audi A8 Quattro?
Mercedes S-class 4matic?

All the traction without the bulk.

Without the bulk? Neither is small !

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - madf

Big cars are often owned by men with an exaggerated sense of their own importance and their ability to park in a multi storey car park until they try.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - oldtoffee

There must be a market in the UK and Europe for more 4wd vehicles. In the last year Skoda have intoroduced the Octavia 4wd, BMW the 3 series x drive with 5 series to follow soon and I read recently that Mercedes will have the C Class 4-matic available. A couple of snowy cold winters in the UK and hey presto plenty of choice! For most people thats all they need unless ground clearance is an issue then there's the traditonal 4wd choices.

Edited by oldtoffee on 13/12/2013 at 21:16

4WD isn't just for the 6 days of snow, there's nothing as sure footed on all wet and greasy roads than a proper full time 4WD, not one of those on demand thingies.

And nothing more hateful than a powerful FWD, scrabbling for grip with yelping tyres or activating the traction control every few seconds, especially in damp conditions.

I've been quietly eyeing Volvo T5's recently, but my sons recently aquired S60 Diesel provides more than than enough wheelspin and torque steer snatching on anything other than bone dry roads, so i'm taking his advice to not bother as he knows i'll be annoyed by the thing, i detest vehicles that wheelspin.

4WD isn't just for the 6 days of snow, there's nothing as sure footed on all wet and greasy roads than a proper full time 4WD, not one of those on demand thingies.

And nothing more hateful than a powerful FWD, scrabbling for grip with yelping tyres or activating the traction control every few seconds, especially in damp conditions.

I've been quietly eyeing Volvo T5's recently, but my sons recently aquired S60 Diesel provides more than than enough wheelspin and torque steer snatching on anything other than bone dry roads, so i'm taking his advice to not bother as he knows i'll be annoyed by the thing, i detest vehicles that wheelspin.

FWD wheelspin can be much reduced by attention to suspension geometry, careful suspension tuning and eliminated by good ESP/TC.

Not everyone can tell when wheelspin is being artificially suppressed.

FWD wheelspin can be much reduced by attention to suspension geometry, careful suspension tuning and eliminated by good ESP/TC.

Not everyone can tell when wheelspin is being artificially suppressed.

I'm not a fan of these driver aids, yes they may well keep a number of incompetents out of the ditch, but those incompetents are lulled into a false sense of their own and their cars capabilities, which is all very well until physics take over and the systems can't prevent a catastrophe at a far higher speed than would otherwise be the case, they drive at the same velocity and corner/brake at the same rate on damp salted roads as they did 4 weeks ago on bone dry surfaces.

Trouble is what happens when a drivers who's never driven without ABS or one of the varuous stability/traction systems drives a car without in the damp.

Big cars are often owned by men with an exaggerated sense of their own importance and their ability to park in a multi storey car park until they try.

You've obviously not witnessed the school run in any vaguely middle-class area these days - it’s an arms race – barely competent low-mileage drivers who know deep-down they are a liability on the road coc o o n ing themselves, Triston and Charlotte from the consequences of her own incompetence with three tons of SUV – sadly whoever they hit will pay the price.

Edited by Avant on 14/12/2013 at 22:18

There's no such thing as an incompetent car - it's usually the nut behind the steering wheels that's at fault. The right tyres are more important than 4x4 systems.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - dan86

"I'm sick of having an incompetant car to drive for the winter "

Its normally the driver not the car unless you 100% need a 4x4 a front or even rear wjeel drive will be fine with the right tyres and enough skill.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - paulwilcox1973

I have since got new tires and they have helped tremendously. The guy in the garage said they had be warn down way beyond what they should of which is why I was finding controlling it so frustrating in challenging conditions.

However, I still plan on getting a more adapt car. The Panda seems to be a popular one among the replies.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - skidpan

However, I still plan on getting a more adapt car. The Panda seems to be a popular one among the replies.

Try reading this, the 4x4 version on winter tyres did no better than the 2WD version on winter tyres.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video

All the 4x4 version does is costs more to buy and run.

4wd cars don't brake or corner any better than 2wd.

4wd cars don't brake or corner any better than 2wd.

They corner far better in my experience, less prone to slide even on greasy warm roads if they are full time 4's.

As for braking, my old Landcruiser wasn't ABS equipped, in poor conditions the fronts would lock up (as designed) before the rears, locking the centre diff stopped that happening and improved overall braking and greasy road cornering by a staggering amount.

They certainly do!

Try reading this, the 4x4 version on winter tyres did no better than the 2WD version on winter tyres.

Strange, the 4WD winter tyre fitted reached the very top when i just watched it, which the 2WD version failed to do.

Better proof would have been if the 4WD version had stopped beside the stuck 2WD and simply driven off again.

Don't forget the Kuga isn't full time 4WD, a full time 4 will usually be a better bet than one of these on demand thingies when conditions get bad.

Pity the tester didn't turn the 2WD winter tyred car round and reverse the slope, he would probably have made it. My neighbour does that when our hill is bad in his little 106, no other 2WD cars (apart from my winter shod MB) can get up the hill, he does.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video

All the 4x4 version does is costs more to buy and run.

This car is not a proper 4wd.
This sort of cheapo afterthought '4WD' will just send power to the wheel on the slipperiest surface like the 2wd model does.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - hillman

My GP told me that 25 years ago the doctors in Buxton - if you get snow anywhere it landed there first - drove Fiat Panda type four wheel drive cars with the old type narrow tyres. It was very successful.

Land Rover Range Rover - best winter car? - skidpan

This car is not a proper 4wd.
This sort of cheapo afterthought '4WD'

Very few 4x4's on the market today are what you are calling a "genuine 4x4". This is the type of vehicle most of the public buy when they want a car that will garantee that they can get the kids to school between the months of April and October. They are pointless when it snows because they close the schools.

And they are not exactly cheap either.

Over the past 4 winters several people in the office with 4x4's have phoned in saying the roads were too bad when I managed to get in fine with a RWD BMW on winter tyres. The wife used to drive past the end of one of peoples roads on her way to work in a FWD Kia on winter tyres, never had a problem.