Ford Focus Mk1 'Edge' 1.6, '00 - Focus speedo swings wildly after getting to 70mph - Paul Silver

Hi, I've just had the variable speed sensor replaced as we were getting the speedo needle drop to zero problem. Had to get a mechanic to do it with a sensor I got from Ebay as I just couldn't get enough access to it at home (very impressed with someone on here who said they did it in 15 minutes!)

All looked fine when using the car at low speed, but yesterday I got up to about 70mph and looked down to find the speedo needle swinging all over the place. For a while it stabilised at 135, but most of the time it was swinging around, not even really centred over the rough speed I was doing. Didn't calm down when I was on slower roads either.

Stopped the car and restarted, still had the same problem. Stopped for a couple of hours and it went back to normal, until I got to about 70mph again and it started swinging.

Does anyone know if this is most likely a faulty speed sensor, or whether there's something else that might be causing the problem. I've just seen about checking for corrosion in this other thread, but I'm hoping not to take more of the car apart if it's likely just a loose connection or something.

Thanks

Ford Focus Mk1 'Edge' 1.6, '00 - Focus speedo swings wildly after getting to 70mph - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like your fleabay sesor is at fault,or has not been aligned correctly in the gearbox.Unlikely to be anything else.Get the part from Ford dealer,at least you know it will work correctly.

Ford Focus Mk1 'Edge' 1.6, '00 - Focus speedo swings wildly after getting to 70mph - Paul Silver

Thanks.

Yup, ordered a Ford one. Should have done in the first place. Think I'm used to pattern parts for my Beetle as that's mainly what's available these days. Getting a refund on the first one when I send it back.

Ford Focus Mk1 'Edge' 1.6, '00 - Focus speedo swings wildly after getting to 70mph - NorthernBoy

i had a problem with a poor quality replacement part - always put genunine parts on mine now