Volkswagen Touareg 2.5 Date 2009. - Diesel particulate Filter - RobpH

The "engine" warning light came on yellow recently during a long motorway trip to Cornwall. It went off again 2 days later. It returned on the way home. It has stayed on. There is no apparent loss of performance or increase in fuel consumption. Local dealer has said it is the DPF and it needs replacing at £2500!! I am doubtful of the diagnosis because the DPF light has not come on, and the "engine block" warning came on after several hours at high motorway speeds when i would expect the DPF to clear itself not clog up, and the mileage is only 45000. The price seems astronomic too. Could the dealer be right? I expected him to say it was the Engine Management System, or some other problem, not the DPF.

Volkswagen Touareg 2.5 Date 2009. - Diesel particulate Filter - RT

Diagnostic codes need to be read, they should have been stored - those codes should indicate what action to take next.

Volkswagen Touareg 2.5 Date 2009. - Diesel particulate Filter - craig-pd130

Has the dealer tried to do a forced regeneration? This should be their first action.

If they've had it on the diagnostic computer, ask them for the fault codes. Be warned that the codes can be a little misleading -- for example, if a pressure sensor on the DPF is faulty, it may indicate that the DPF is full when in fact it's just a duff sensor.

The sensors do fail as the DPF is a pretty harsh operating environment, subject to road dirt and extreme temperatures.

Volkswagen Touareg 2.5 Date 2009. - Diesel particulate Filter - Collos25

A new DPF for a 2.5 2009 VW crafter is around 275ukps whether the tourareg has a special unit in it I would not know but I think not.

Volkswagen Touareg 2.5 Date 2009. - Diesel particulate Filter - dieselnut

As others have stated, the DPF shouldn't need replacing yet, if the mileage is genuine.

Much more likely to be a sensor fault. Take it to a trusted VW independant who knows what he is doing.

If it does need a new one here is a cheaper source :- http://www.cats2u.co.uk/Catalytic-Converters/VW+TOUAREG+2.5+Diesel+Diesel+Particulate+Filter