Windows 7 - Henry the 9th

I recently moved my Operating System (if that is the correct term to use) from XP to Win 7. Being a silver surfer, I am finding it difficult to adjust things to my liking and would appreciate help from someone who can tell me how to do the following:

In Windows Live Mail, how do I delete unwanted names from what, in Outlook Express, was called the Address Book?

Still in WLM....I recently enlarged the New Message form to full screen size.....just for a particular message. Now, every time I want to type a new message it comes on-screen full size! How do I get it back to normal small size?

And finally (for now!)....in M/S Word Starter 2010, how do I alter the default font style from Calibri (body) to stay as Times New Roman?

For the record....a recent well known consumer magazine report concluded that TNR uses less ink than any other font style. I can change to TNR each time I type a document but would prefer to make same the default.

Thanks in anticipation.

Windows 7 - Ordovices

Can't help with the mail thing, but the font can be changed by;

In the "Home" view there is a small call out arrow on the corner of the font dialogue box, click this to open the more familiar font settings.

Set Times New Roman and size, then bottom left click "Set as default", then yes for all documents based on the "Normal" template.

Thanks for that reply Ordovices. No problem setting TNR and size but for the life of me I cannot see the 'Set as Default' thing to click on. Perhaps I need new glasses!

Edited by Henry the 9th on 05/12/2013 at 14:09

Ordovices.....I was looking in the wrong place to click. Have now found it in the font area and have achieved the changes which I wanted to make to defaults.

Windows 7 - Ronneh

I never thought of it that way to save ink with TNR, thanks for the tip!

Windows 7 - FP

"...a recent well known consumer magazine report concluded that TNR uses less ink than any other font style."

I find that odd. Times New Roman is a lovely font in my view - very elegant and legible, but it is more "fussy" or ornate than many others. (To be technical, it has "serifs".)

Here is some evidence, for what it's worth:

"Thinner fonts obviously use less ink than bold fonts like Arial Bold or Impact. Generally speaking, sans-serif fonts like Arial need less ink than serif fonts like Times New Roman because you don't have to waste ink printing out little tails. What's the least expensive font to use? The cheapest font to print with is actually the modern sans-serif font Century Gothic, while Franklin Gothic Medium came in last place. The highly popular “Arial” font placed somewhere in the middle..."

(from tinyurl.com/nre24gm)

"... the University of Wisconsin... found that it could save up to $10,000 by switching to Century Gothic as the default font. The university, which has 6,500 students, spends $100,000 a year on ink and toner cartridges, reports Yahoo, via Associated Press. Now, the school is asking faculty and staff to use Century Gothic for printed documents, and the school will change the default font in e-mails to Century Gothic."

(from tinyurl.com/yj6hhm5)

Apparently there is a font called Ecofont, which uses the least ink of all, as it has minute holes in each character. There is also an Ecofont application which modifies standard fonts in a similar way. (Neither of these is free.)

I often print out text on my printer's "fast" setting, which uses much less ink, producing a greyer result that is still perfectly legible.