Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - tony g
Hi all,
I've just started the process of renovating a 1994 e class coupe .

It suffers from the usual problem of rusty inner and outer front wings as well as rust in the bottom of the rear wings.

The front wings are an easy , bolt on and off fitting ,The question I have is what are the two cylinders that are fixed to the inner wings ,and what are their function .

The one on the off side ,drivers side is about 4 inches long shaped almost like a figure of eight and made from white plastic ,a narrow plastic pipe leads from it .

The one on the nearside is about 12 inches long rectangular in shape and made from pressed steel ,a hose runs from it to the inner wing .

Any ideas appreciated
Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - jc2

IIRC-Vacuum resevoirs for heating controls and central locking.

Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - elekie&a/c doctor

From memory,the plastic tank will be the vacuum reservoir for the seat back interlock mechanism(only on coupe models) and the rear drop down headrests.Vacuum for the heating is only used on cars that have factory a/c system,otherwise the heating is mechanical/electric.The other metal tank I would guess at being part of the evap emission system.hth

Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - gordonbennet

Reckon doc could be right, i'm sure if you lift the rear seat squabs that the central locking vacuum is situated there, lovely system it is too, almost silent.

Picked my 124 coupe up this afternoon, new drivers window motor and regulator, my indy reckons there's likely to be no change out of £400 for the parts alone, ah well it could be a cloned eurobox losing £400 a month depreciation.

Enjoy the refurb, lovely cars these and getting rare to find in the best condition.

Hi guys ,
Thanks for the help and advise .
You could never say that this one I bought is in the best of condition ,far from it .

It has rotten front wings ,rust in the inner wings ,rust in the rear wing bases ,plus rust in several areas of the floor ,but not to much .

The car is a 94 L 220 .so far I've spent £700 replacing all the brake and fuel lines ,the bill also included changing the auto box fluid and filter ,changed the engine oil and filter ,air filter ,and changing the gasket on the timing change cover .

I intended buying the parts I needed from e bay but was fortunate in finding a 2005 donor car in a local salvage yard that was arguably in better condition than mine !
I paid £500 for the original car and £450 for the parts car .

So far the donor car has provided a rear bumper and two spurious front wings that were fitted but not painted ,and a rear boot lock ,it will also provide a drivers seat belt butler ,plus lots of trim parts and fixings that are breaking as we remove them .

It would be a fair condition to ask why buy a car in such poor condition !
The truth is I fell for the spec on the car ,it's silver with a dark red leather interior ,it has AMG type ,but not real mono block 18" alloys ,amg s,steel sills and decals .
After the weldings done ,cost about £200 , the car will need a full respray ,so the total cost will be in the region of £3000 ,I would hope to sell the donor car for scrap about £200 or possibly £350 on e bay as the engine and gearbox are good .
But we,ll see ,it's not really a labour of love ,but something close to that .

Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - craig-pd130

It sounds like a good project, especially if you're handy with welding gear.

Are those rust spots common on the W124 coupes? I suppose I have to remember that it doesn't matter what marque or model it is, it's a 19-year-old car and so will have rust somewhere ...

Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - dan86

I had a 96 seat ibeza as a run around last year no rust on it but maybe it had been better taken care of but the w124s aee known to rust around the wheel arches.

Hi dan,
The old mercs are not really about runabouts ,you either love them or not .

I'm not sure you could prevent rust in the w 124 no matter how well you took care of it .

A seat Ibiza ! Well perhaps ok as a runabout ,but where's the involvement ,the joy of owning a great make ,it's the difference between a timex and a Rolex !

The old seat was just that a run about from work to tip duties I didn't man anything disrespectful was just mentioning about the rust witch this one had none. I didnt look after it but the previous owen had it from new and maube lavished it with attention. I kniw what you mean about owning great cars I have owned a few nice cars incliding a e300 turbo diesel w124 and that had rust at 8 years old in the front wings on the arches.

e300 turbo diesel w124 and that had rust at 8 years old in the front wings on the arches.

Was that a left hooker Dan, or an aftermarket turbo kit, i ask because MB never made a 124 Diesel with a turbo in RHD (well for Britain, i have no idea if Japan saw one) which was a great pity.

For serious rust you struggle to beat the W210 that came after the 124, they'd give 70's Lancias a run for their money, and Mercedes are still struggling to live that one down...pity really as the 210 is a lovely car and not half as complicated or troublesome as the pre facelift 211's that followed.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/12/2013 at 21:10

My mistake it was a w210 I always get confused with the model s of Mercedes and bmws. The rust was so bad that I sold it at 10 years old and 3 years ownership and the rust was getting really bad.

My mistake it was a w210 I always get confused with the model s of Mercedes and bmws. The rust was so bad that I sold it at 10 years old and 3 years ownership and the rust was getting really bad.

Its really strange, not all 210's go bad...and yes the model designations do take some keeping up with..;) i haven't got a clue about Audi B4/5/6 etc cos VW group cars do nothing for me, good job we're all different eh.

My Sis and BiL have a fleet of cars and one of those is a R reg W210 E300 Diesel, no TLC for their cars whatsoever but that high mileage 210 shows only the smallest signs of rust, its in a not particularly nice shade of green and i do wonder if the paint in certain colours is better for rust prevention.

On the other hand i first came across 210's in volume around the turn of the century when the first volume sales were being defleeted, we always transported large numbers of good used MB's but i'd never seen rust on the previous squarer shaped E and S Classes like i saw on these 3 year old 210's (and S Classes of the same vintage), a door stonechip if left would be a rust patch the size of a saucer in 12 months, entire front leading edges of wings and bonnets riddled with tin worm, especially in silver or maybe silver showed it up more?

MB's lowest point i think the late 90's up to around 2007/8.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/12/2013 at 21:41

Mine was in silver and all the rotten ones seem to be silver. But then again there were alot of siler oves about as it is a populer colour for MB cars.

Hi,
The same corrosion areas are normal on the w124 range ,although you could never call them spots .The areas that corrode on the inner and outer wings etc ,tend to produce holes about 4" inches across. Although the areas are not structural .

I'm not that skilled at welding ,so I'm stripping all the areas that give access to the corrosion ,then preparing and cutting the sheet steel to shape and cleaning the rust away .

That way I do most of the time consuming work ,that saves me money ,and leave the skilled welding to some one who's really skilled .

Tony G, check the floor under the car where drivers and passengers feet would be, where the chassis rails come down and meet the floor, also the bottom of the two wells either side of the spare wheel well, and if you haven't done so remove the plastic sill covers as the jacking points will require plating, no sills as such but the floor as you will alreday have discovered is an incredibly strong structure.

Also check around each and every one of those rubber bungs dotted around the rear wheelarches, water gets behind the underseal and corrosion results, and remove the lower door covers to check underneath, they can vibrate on the doors/panels and rub through the paint over time.

If its a 220/320 (facelift) especially the latter check the engine wiring loom carefully especially around the coils, if its crumbling it will short out and spike the ECU output transistors...don't ask me how i know this..:-) Full engine loom is about £600, but a smaller section is now available for the area worst affected but will need splicing into the existing loom. Do not ignore this, those ECU's depending on immobiliser type can be individual to the car, so sticking a used one in won't work, a new ECU is around £1500, i've had two repaired but parts to fix are getting rare, beware if you ever need to send one away for repair there are some sharks out there, i know a good place who fixed both for me, will inform if necessary.

Make sure you keep the OVP relay from the donor car, behind the battery near the ECU, a non starter is sometimes that relay going down, so worth chucking the spare in the boot just in case...i would say one of the cubbies but lack of those is the one big W124 weakness if the car has a passenger airbag.

They really are a lovely car to own and drive but need regular TLC to keep them up to scratch.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/12/2013 at 20:09

Hi gb,
I've had the car up on a four post ramp so I know about most of the corrosion issues ,as you say the rear wing wells are corroded and will be welded at the same time as front wing areas .

As yet I've not checked the sills by removing the plastic covers ,although I expect to find corrosion there .I did read somewhere that Mercedes do a shaped repair panel for the sills around the jacking points ,have you come across that ?

As you say ,mine is a facelift model made 93 to 95 I think .I would have preferred the 6 cylinder 320 which is a superb engine .I had one as a company car many years ago .

However after reading on several forums that heat from the larger engines caused problems with the wiring loom I decided to buy a 220 .

One final thing that you could possibly advise on ,when the car has been running for 5 minutes or longer ,I start to hear a metallic rattling from the top end of the engine .i had the oil and filter changed when I bought the car and that seemed to extend the time before the noise began .

From reading various forums it seems most likely that I have a failure on one of the hydraulic valve adjusters ,or just possibly the timing chain adjuster.
I drove the car back from Warwickshire about 70 miles after I bought it with the noise present and have done several short journeys in it since ,it doesn't appear to affect the cars ,rather sluggish, performance .

I wonder if you can change the adjusters individually and how much they cost .

Regards

Tony

Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - serpentinebelt1978

Seeing the amount of issues and apparent cost attached to servicing the car have you ever considered just giving it up? And buy a better w124?

(Seeing the amount of issues and apparent cost attached to servicing the car have you ever considered just giving it up? And buy a better w124?)

A good 124 coupe costs about £3000 ,it wouldn't be in the colour and specification that I wanted .To get the one I have into good condition would cost about £3000 and I enjoy working on cars .

Does that answer your question ,or is the point of owning a car like this completely lost on you !
Mercedes Benz e class w124 coupe - Inner wings - Collos25
(Seeing the amount of issues and apparent cost attached to servicing the car have you ever considered just giving it up? And buy a better w124?) A good 124 coupe costs about £3000 ,it wouldn't be in the colour and specification that I wanted .To get the one I have into good condition would cost about £3000 and I enjoy working on cars . Does that answer your question ,or is the point of owning a car like this completely lost on you !

I cannot think of anything more thereaputic than working on an old car

.I did read somewhere that Mercedes do a shaped repair panel for the sills around the jacking points ,have you come across that ?

I wonder if you can change the adjusters individually and how much they cost .

Tony, can't help you with either of thos equeries i'm afraid , like you i thought there were repair panels for the jacking points, but my body chap had no joy locating any, but he concentrates on restoration work now so is used to cutting panels to fit.

First W124 we owned was a 230e, which preceded the 220 you now have, engine could be noisy in that 4cyl raucous way but the old girl could really move if you let her rev so not really sure why your 220 should be sluggish, even the 320 need to be allowed to rev freely to get the best but the growl gets better as the revs rise under power so its easy on the ears.

I suspect a question on one of the two excellent MB uk forums would get some answers, many there would be glad to hear of someone putting the effort in to restore one of the coupes.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/12/2013 at 19:26