Don't know - Car - whatcitynext

I have a thirty year old son who has just passed his test. He wants to spend a couple of thousand on a car. Cars of this age seem so unreliable. Someone said buy a Seat Ibiza but we can't find any where we live. He is well over six feet tall so the smaller cars are no use. He learned to drive in a Renault Magane. Any suggestions please? Thanks

Don't know - Car - Chris M

A little more information would help.

Just him or does he have a family? How many miles will he drive? Commuting - town or country? Hobbies? Dogs?

You'll get some more informed responses!

Don't know - Car - skidpan

He needs to get round the sites and sit in a many types of car as he can and find which are comfy for his height and which are not.

At £2000 its a bit of a lottery getting a reliable car, most are being sold because they have problems so factor in fixing some faults.

Many say buy Japanese but at this price bracket condition is the most important thing after being comfortable in it. Avoid French and Italian unless you are a qualified auto electrician.

At this price and age I would avoid a diesel as well.

Don't know - Car - veryoldbear

Get the best Megane you can find for the money and build some NCB, then in a couple of years time get something more interesting.

Don't know - Car - Dabooka

I have a thirty year old son who has just passed his test. He wants to spend a couple of thousand on a car. Cars of this age seem so unreliable. Someone said buy a Seat Ibiza but we can't find any where we live. He is well over six feet tall so the smaller cars are no use. He learned to drive in a Renault Magane. Any suggestions please? Thanks

I never get this height thing, I'm well over 6ft and on the wrong side of 15 stone, and feel comfortable in all manner of motors, including my mates C1 (both as a driver and a passenger). I wouldn't rule anything out based on size alone until he's sat in and test drove it.

Other than that, some good advice offered above

Don't know - Car - Bromptonaut

Agree with Dabooka. No need for big men to dismiss small cars or v v. It depends how you fit. Get out and try some.

Men over 6 feet seemd to fold themselves into Issigonis minis without being any more uncomfortable than a shorter person.

Don't know - Car - madf

All very well but if you have back problems!:-(

Don't know - Car - bazza

Ibizas can be a bag of bolts at any age, old ones to be avoided. As always I would say Toyota Corolla or Avensis, Honda Civic or Accord, plenty of nice privately owned, looked-after examples about.

Don't know - Car - gordonbennet

£2k cars can be fine, this budget contains many Korean and a few Japanese gems, often low mileage owned and maintained very well by one mature previous owner.

The usual mega miles multi owner euroclone fodder is often getting ropey at this price its true to say, not as they were marvellous before..:-)

Don't know - Car - bathtub tom

I'm six foot, sixteen stone and the only car I've ever had a problem with (and that includes a bubble car) was a MK1 Elva Courier. I couldn't get both my size twelves in the pedal box at the same time and the windscreen top rail was exactly at eye level.

Don't know - Car - daveyK_UK

Nissan Note,

Regulary used by our own 6 foot 6 bloke with 3 other adults in car.

took us by suprise.

Don't know - Car - dan86

I find that that the last shape Fiat panda to small for tall drivers. It had the head room but eye level is at the top of the windscreen.

Don't know - Car - jc2

We had someone in our office who was about 6' 3";if you saw him in a car ,he was almost peering thro' the top of the wheel.Long legs and short upper body.

Don't know - Car - dan86

I supose it depends o the person as we all come in different shapes and sizes. Im not particularly tall but I have long legs for my body size.

Don't know - Car - madf

Youngest son is 6 foot 3 inches. Mark1 Yaris is fine.. He has had it for 4 years. Cost under £2k. Now 130k miles.

Don't know - Car - Dabooka

All very well but if you have back problems!:-(

I don't understand what that has to do with height, but surely the bit about taking it for a test drive is still true? The crux of the matter is to not rule anything out until you've tried it yourself.

Cars easy to get in and out of due to back probelms I get completely, but even then it's a case of trying them out to find what suits.

Edited by Dabooka on 13/11/2013 at 09:34

Don't know - Car - madf

I had a really sore back earlier this year (sorted after daily exercises- still doing them) - and I found any twisting to eneter a car was impossible. Sit on seat and swing legs in was the only way to avoid spasms of pain so severe I wanted to cry..

So any bending at all was impossble. So cars with high doors and wide entrances are best for back sufferers...see http://www.rica.org.uk/

Don't know - Car - Snakey

Agree with the comments re: small cars. I'm six foot and find my wifes 2008 Mini very comfortable for long journeys, wheres 2005- onwards Ford Focus gave me terrible backache! Its all down to the design and shape of seats and your personal 'makeup' and preferences!