Rules on declaring write-offs (?) - Skezza

So, what are the rules on declaring a write-off. My girlfriend sold her old car yesterday. When the guy came to pick it up, he informed my girlfriend it had been previously written off as a Cat-C. Luckily the guy said he wasn't too bothered about it, but that if she had noticed it, she could have taken the garage that sold it to court. They're well-known for being dodgy, they regularly sell cars with dodgy MOT's and have also been done for clocking as well.

So what's the deal with selling cars without declaring whether it's a write-off? Is it a legal requirement? I know it's on the V5 document, but if they refuse to show the V5 then what?

Rules on declaring write-offs (?) - Andrew-T

So what's the deal with selling cars without declaring whether it's a write-off? Is it a legal requirement? I know it's on the V5 document, but if they refuse to show the V5 then what?

My rule is that if a seller refuses to show the V5, look somewhere else. A car like that can't be so desirable that there isn't a better one available.

But in the end, a buyer must ask the right questions before saying 'I'll have that one'. Especially if the garage is known to be dodgy.

Agreed. It's certainly a lesson learnt, for her more than me, I wasn't there when she bought the car, and perhaps if I'd looked over the V5 I might have noticed it.

Surely there is a legal obligation for the garage to declare it though?

Rules on declaring write-offs (?) - Collos25

There is.

Rules on declaring write-offs (?) - martint123

You have to ask, there is no requirement to inform. They might not even know.

My MX5 was bought as a writeoff and there is no indication on the V5.

I am given to uynderstand that a dealer must state if the vehicle has a catagory placed on it a private seller does not. Having said that dealers I know would not touch one with a barge pole.

Edited by Collos25 on 13/11/2013 at 19:30

The dealer did not tell her.

It's a lesson learnt, but it makes me wonder how many times I'm going to deal with unscrupulous car sellers. Mind you, it's another thing I can check when I look at my next car.

The dealer did not tell her.

You may be making the mistake of thinking the 'dealer' knew much about the car. It will likely have come from auction and may have little paperwork. If he was thorough he may have done the proper on-line checks. But at the bottom end of the market there is something to be said for buying 'private' (not necessarily Ebay) as the seller can probably tell you a lot more.

You have to decide whether to believe him, of course, just like a dealer ...

Or whether he is really private.

Rules on declaring write-offs (?) - pd

Auctions will declare Cat C/D write-offs. That's one of the things the whopping indemnity fee covers.

A dealer should declare a write off but it was probably so long ago you haven't much chance of getting anywhere now. Just be more careful in future.

Or whether he is really private.

We're back to where we came in. If he isn't 'private' his won't be the name on the V5 - which he may be unwilling to reveal.

I did once buy an almost-banger from a trader selling from a private address. The car was OK for my daughter's first, once the cold-start (autochoke) had been sorted.