Vauxhall Corsa C - Car Accident - Options? - jck

Car - 2002 Vauxhall Corsa SXi 1.2 95k miles no mods.

Anyway, had an accident this morning, basically when into a railing on a footpath on the left, so front passenger side of the car pretty mangled up(bodywork and replacement wheel for sure, possible chassis damage I think was said), and the people who helped me at the scene said it's a probable write-off given the car value and damage. However a family friend who took me down to the recovery place said it may not be a write off, and definitely could be repairable.

Now since I paid for the car and insurance all outright, I generally know what I'm looking at paying.....£1700 first time round, and if I go through with this claim, the insurance quotes I'm getting are going up between 200 and 300, so next car(should it be similar) would be £2000 bare minimum most likely. Compared to only about £300 payout....

I'm starting to wonder if I should cancel the claim and just have it go down as an accident, and get it indenpentely repaired, because we do know someone in the business who can do bodywork, just don't have an estimate yet. Is this possible after I've already started the claim? Can I stop it, tell them about my accident and continue on the current policy should I get it repaired?

Should also be noted that because I bought the car from a car who only bought it himself two weeks prior, I still don't have the logbook in my name, which I'm thinking the insurance may use to void anything, even though we can prove dates of purchase and all that. Not sure if I'm being paranoid.

Edited by jck on 06/11/2013 at 02:43

Vauxhall Corsa C - Car Accident - Options? - Cris_on_the_gas

If the railings were damaged then you 'll have to allow for that as well. If you have not identified owner of this then need to report to police asap and in any case within 24hrs

Vauxhall Corsa C - Car Accident - Options? - Falkirk Bairn

>>Anyway, had an accident this morning, basically when into a railing on a footpath on the left

Road furniture is expensive -

My son skidded (diesel on road, verified by neighbour who was just behind) and hit a concrete bollard. Car cost £300 to fix. The council wanted £300+ to re-seat the bollard (Lorry + 3 men x 1 hour!!)

I refused and said I would get a "contractor to fix" - Sunday moring 6am - self and friend righted bollard, repacked area around bollard with sand, re-laid slabs - total cost £10 for sand (+ bottle of whisky!)

Took photos and sent to council - it was the only 100% upright bollard with even paving around it!

Vauxhall Corsa C - Car Accident - Options? - slkfanboy

It still going to bump your insurance up as you will still have to inform them, and supply a cost of the damage

Vauxhall Corsa C - Car Accident - Options? - skidpan

I refused and said I would get a "contractor to fix" - Sunday moring 6am - self and friend righted bollard, repacked area around bollard with sand, re-laid slabs - total cost £10 for sand (+ bottle of whisky!)

No Local Authority would permit you to work in a public place in that way. You would need the necessary insurances should someone injure themselves during your work plus you would also need to be on their approved contractor list. You would need to fence off the area whilst you did the work.