jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - davidm5575

ive read through a few forums including government website but still a bit confused

ill start off with saying i passed my test in december 2011 and im 19

my license shows me a picture of a car and a van on the back,

i know the van means i can drive a transit which i do daily but we also have a renault master lm35, (same as a merc sprinter) can i drive this? what about a ford luton van with hydraulic tail lift and 4 wheels on the back axel?

also my dad says im not allowed to drive a twin wheel base van like a ford tipper/flat bed type van. is this true and why?

sorry for all vague questions but help would be great :)

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - daveyK_UK

I thought it went on the weight?

From memory, my staff use to drive anything upto 3.5 tonne on a standard license.

Its been a few years since we had a big van.

Long wheel based Ducato/Transit is fine provided it less than the 3.5 tonne.

Cheers mate. Dad was confusing me saying I want even allowed to drive a long wheel base either but if it's purely on weight I'll keep driving them :)

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - dan86

As mentioned above 3500kg is the maximum weight on your licence.

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - Bromptonaut

Never mind the pictures on your licence - what groups and restrictions are actually mentioned.

While mass is a major determinant there are also restriction codes including 105 which refers to vehicles nor more than 5.5metres. I'd have thought that LWB vans like VW Crafter wouls be caight by latter.

Along wheel base van is fine unless its gvw is under 3500kg.

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - injection doc
Remember jumbo transits are 4.6tons !

Thats why I quoted the gvw cant be over 3500kg any van over this should have a tacho fitted.

on the licence it says B B1 f k p

been on renault webstie and it says overall lenght is 6198cm if thats any help

also taken straight from the renault site

weights:

gross train weight (kg) 6000

gross vehicle weight (kg) 3500

kerb weight (excluding driver) (kg) 1970

maximum payload (excluding driver)(kg) 1530

its a renault master LM35 Dci 125

Edited by davidm5575 on 03/11/2013 at 20:37

also my licence doesnt have any special codes as mentioned about a 105

the only thing im worried about now is the weight of the thing

and i stand corrected it is a lwb as thats what came up on renault site when i put in lm35

Gross train weight is maximum weight with a trailer and gross vehicle weight is 3500kg so u can drive it on a normal car licence.

B is car b1 is tricycles. F k p refer to mopeds and farm machinery.

Edited by dan86 on 03/11/2013 at 21:21

cheers dan

Ni problem. If your company has a transport manager they should have all the relevant information if u require it.

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - SlidingPillar

B1 is not tricycles now!

B1 is now vehicles with 4 wheels up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if intended to carry goods. Tricycles are now motorbikes... and to drive my Morgan Super Sports Aer,o (car bodied, with a steering wheel) you need a full bike licence and can't take a test in it unless you are disabled.

OP is ok though, car test passers pre19 Jan this year are grandfathered and a replacement licence will show group A - limited to tricycles.

Europe has been meddling, 3rd Driving licence directive was the guilty legislation, although the UK will implement a derogation shortly allowing group B test passers to drive trikes provided they are over 21 (the absolute earliest you can do the full bike licence by).

Beware though, at least one official document I found on line this morning pre dates the changes, so is now wrong.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 04/11/2013 at 10:49

Thanks for correcting me wheb did they change the category?

jumbo wheel base vans - what can i drive - SlidingPillar

Midnight on 18th January this year (ie the start of the 19th)

There will be a revision to what can be driven on a car licence with a 19 Jan onwards car test pass (to take the derogation), and just perhaps, there will be a correcting document to the third EU driving licence directive as the calling a tricycle a motorbike was the result of someone fiddling and the committee that draws up such things, doesn't like that. But it will take years even if sucessful.

So B1 may yet re-encompass tricycles, not for the moment.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 04/11/2013 at 16:16