BMW 320d M-Sport (E46) - Remote control - opening car door - enfield007

Hi

Having problems with the opening of the car doors via remote control. It's an intermittant problem although everything works well most of the time, but especially on Friday evenings in Morrison's car park it sometimes takes ten minutes for me to break into my own car. The interior lights come on when I press the opening button on the remote, but the door indicators don't work and if I am on my own I have to use the key manually. Even this does not always work properly as sometimes (rarely) all the buttons pop up but most of the time only the drivers door button works.

I am sure this sounds like an expensive repair but can anyone recommend a repairer other than an expensive BMW garage in the Kidderminster area (next two weeks) or the Fleetwood area (for ever and ever afterwoulds).

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

BMW 320d M-Sport (E46) - Remote control - opening car door - elekie&a/c doctor

From your description of the fault,I would say there is a problem with the GEM module.It is situated behind the glove box,on passenger side,and is known for the internal relays to fail that control the central locking system.Not a cheap fix as the module is around £300 and will need programming.hth

BMW 320d M-Sport (E46) - Remote control - opening car door - enfield007

Hi

You were right it was the GEM module situated behind the glove department. Found a garage that replaced it with a second hand unit for £200. Was quoted over £450 + vat + fitting for a new one. Sometimes the problem can be caused by sending unit in the drivers door, which would have been a lot cheaper option.

Thanks

Stephen