2003 VW polo 1.4 - Rear brake rip-off? - richarde100

Hi,

Just went to the garage and my rear off side brakes were all corroded. They said the wheel wasn't turning properly. I know nothing about cars but it looked pretty rusty. Apparently it needs full new assembly - housing, discs calipers etc. The bloke told me the parts are £320 + labour so £550 in total. Is this right? Seems like a hell of a lot for a brake. He also said the kit covers both sides which sound a bit dodgey to me. Have I been ripped off here? Any help appreciated.

2003 VW polo 1.4 - Rear brake rip-off? - gordonbennet

Anyone sensible will fit a pair of rear discs and a full set of pads, roughly £60/£80 from factor, hopefully it only needs one caliper @ approx £70/80.

Its entirely possible the other caliper is in equally bad condition so maybe the garage for the sake of another £70/80 is intending to fit one for safety's sake, can't say i blame them if it looks like its on its last legs.

edit...just reread your post and you do mention calipers, so price near enough right.

Not sure what the housing is in this case could be the back plate or the bracket the caliper is mounted on x 2, these will be genuine parts only, indeed the garage may be quoting genuine parts for everything.

Sounds to me like the car has been neglected, it didn't get like this overnight, lack of proper servicing does work out expensive when the parts involved corrode severely enough to seize which is happening here.

You could always get another quote.

Edited by gordonbennet on 24/10/2013 at 19:40

2003 VW polo 1.4 - Rear brake rip-off? - Collos25

As above if you do not want to shop around or do a bit of do it youself then what you have paid is a fair price..

2003 VW polo 1.4 - Rear brake rip-off? - oldroverboy.

Could it be wheel bearings/hubs as well. You could also go to kwikfit or national tyres for free quote, and kwik fit give a lifetime warranty so no need to pay for discs pads again. price for all from indie would be fair, don;t forget it IS 10 years old, and easier for rear calipers to stick as less use. my 30 month old chevrolet had sticking rear pad, but got away with just pads...........