Peugeot 407 SW - Fuel guage issues - lermit

I seem to have an issue with my fuel guage.

Recently, the car started juddering slightly, and I thought it seemed like it felt short of fuel. I pulled into a nearby garage and filled up. Problem was then solved. The guage was low, but not in the orange when this happened.

I then filled up, and the guage showed full, and car has driven fine since until this morning. Im now getting the same thing, but with the guage showing half full. I might have driven say 5 hours mainly motorway milage, so could be that im nearing empty, but am suprised if fully out..

Any thoughts gratefully recieved.

Peugeot 407 SW - Fuel guage issues - Andrew-T

This sounds like a problem to me, not an issue :-) (problems need to be solved, issues are only talked about). The sensor in the tank may be sticking, perhaps because of grit or sediment. Don't know about the 407, but the 205 used a vertical metal cylinder containing a float, with a small hole at the bottom to admit fuel. That hole could get blocked. That happened to SWMBO, who was just beginning to think she was getting exceptional consumption on a long journey when the car came to a stop.

You should be able to get at it under the rear seats.

Peugeot 407 SW - Fuel guage issues - dieselnut

Sounds to me like your issue isn't so much a problem with the guage, but that the engine runs rough when the fuel level is low.

I would suspect your in-tank fuel pump has either failed or isn't running at full pressure. So when the tank is low the 2nd pump on the engine struggles to pull enough fuel through.