Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Glenn 42

Anyone else own one of these? I did have a Getz for three years in the noughties, the long warranty and the masses of equipment for the money swayed me, and this was generally trouble free until the warranty ended and the ECU failed. However, the I 20 carries on the good work of the Getz with the same warranty and masses of kit for reasonable money, but one I had as a courtesy car this summer and it seemed far more modern and better made than the Getz, in fact nearly on par with a Volkswagen. Also even in 1.2 litre form it was quiet and returned 48 mpg.

I have nearly been swayed by Dacia, see another post, but seemingly for all they are excellent value for money, the technology is old and it's likely to make up for the price of such a cheap car, I could get a poor trade in. Whereas I'm known to the Hyundai dealer, they offer a servicing plan on every used car( can't afford an I 20 new) and the customer care is good.

Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Auristocrat

We bought a new i20 in 2012, and my sister also bought one to replace her Getz - ordered the same weekend. Ours replaced a Mazda 2, and to act as a second car.

Both are the Comfort spec (bluetooth, etc), and both have been relaible and not put a foot wrong so far. Both are 1.2's, as according to Which? and the Honest John review the 1.4 doesn't offer appreciably more for the extra money.

Excellent purchases

Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - daveyjp
We have had ours for just over 6 months. Bought at just shy of 12 months old, it developed a really bad front suspension creak at low speeds after a couple of months. First class service from dealer and it is now fixed, other than that no other problems.

Plenty of kit, 40+mpg round town, 60 on a decent run from the 1.2.

The two negatives. The power steering is electrically assisted and can sometimes feel as though it isn't keeping up with the steering wheel being moved, giving strange feedback. The seat lumber support is very poor, the back of the seat squab doesn't provide much support so the lower back isn't supported. Other than that for a day to day hack it does what we need it to.

Edited by daveyjp on 19/09/2013 at 21:31

Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Glenn 42

The i20 did very well in JD Power and seems well liked by road testers. Also the dealer I have bought my last two cars from, does a monthly service and MOT plan, which is useful for reducing bills.

Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Happy Blue!

My family and I have rented loads of these and they have never let us down. Spacious, comfortable cars. Not the best drive, but certainly more than adequate. The only downside for me is the poor ecomony of the automatic version. If I was looking to buy a supermini in the UK, it would be on my shortlist.

Well I'm afraid to say our i20 didn't stay in the household too long. In the last few weeks my wife has just hated driving it. This has coincided with her doing a few more miles as part of her job.

The last few times I have been a passenger I have noticed she has been really struggling with clutch control, especially moving off from standstill and inetrmediate changes were very choppy. I asked her why and she could't explain it as driving my car she has no problems.

I have read of clutch problems on the i20, but it felt OK when I drove it. I did however notice a slight clutch squeal during some gearchanges which didn't fill me with confidence for longevity.

Those unsupportive seat squabs were also doing our backs no favours so the car had to go.
Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Avant

What did you replace it with, Davey?

As my B class is three years old and I will have had it three years early next year we visited the Merc dealer to look at the revised B class.

Before getting into the dealership my wife noticed one of the last old model A classes at what looked a very competitive price. A quick look on the web and it was indeed £1,000-1,500 below anything else on sale at other dealerships.

Two hours later we had done the test drive, done the negotiation and done the deal. My B class will have to wait!
Hyundai I 20 - Hyundai I 20 - Avant

Sounds like a good move. The new A-class seems to be just another hatchback - more expensive than a Golf or an A3 and from what I've read less good to drive. The old A-class suited a particular need, and I'm not sure if there's anything on the market now to match it.