Ford Mondeo - mk2 mondeo 1.8 verona mot emission please help - kellyrankin

please help, i took my car for its mot on monday, tester was off sick so they offered me a free pre mot so we could get it ready, new number plate, rear shocker and adjust back brakes, all done. took up this morning and its failed, broken front coil spring corroded brake pipes ( we can do those) and failed on emissions. exact wording on failure

exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive.

results

fast idle test

engine speed 2870 rpm co2 = 0.43 max 0.30 hc = 49 max =200 lambda = 1.013 max = 1.090 so hc and lamda have passed

2nd fast idle test

engine speed 2960 rpm co2 = 0.42 max 0.30 hc= 25 max =200 lambda = 1.009 max 1.090 so hc and lambda pass again just co2 fail

natural idle engine speed =950 rpm max is 775 rpm, any idea on how to sort this am now totally skint having replaced 4 tyres, rear shock new cat and new front brakesonly thing i may be able to offer for a clue is its starting drinking petrol like its going out of fashion last few weeks and the mot tester says it smells rich.

thanks for any help offered

Ford Mondeo - mk2 mondeo 1.8 verona mot emission please help - unthrottled

Looks like an aged cat having poor conversion efficiency.You could try wrapping the exhaust in foil for the retest to keep the exhaust hot-that helps with CO conversion. :)

High idle problem could be a vacuum leak or a gummed-up Idle control valve.

we only put a new cat on in june and was brand new not 2nd hand. the car makes a hiss when you accelerate under heavy load would that be vacuum leak?

also i have just noticed he has tested my car as a 2000 1.8 duratec he engine and its the zetec engine will that make a difference
Ford Mondeo - mk2 mondeo 1.8 verona mot emission please help - jc2

Two things-a hiss under load sounds like an exhaust leak-not vacuum and was the replacement cat. a genuine Ford item or a "cheapo" aftermarket?

it was a cheap aftermarket cat but it has always hissed, got the car in april, it did it then and new cat in june still does it. ive stuck my head at the rear of the car and the exhaust fumes reek of petrol could it be down to over fueling, it doesnt smoke, it doesnt put out soot nothing its just stinks of petrol and is only just over co2 limit and drinks like a fish

and previous cat on it was genuine ford by the state of it i would guess the original

Ford Mondeo - mk2 mondeo 1.8 verona mot emission please help - injection doc
If there is an air leak in the exhaust however small it will make the car run rich ! Hence high co !

There are also EGR and vacuum pipes around the back of the cylinder head that cause these to run rich when they leak.

A quick diagnostic check to see the short and long term fuel trim will also hint as to where the problem lies. It would be worth checking live data to ensure the coolant sensor temp to the ECU corresponds with the actual engine temp.

Aftermarket cats on fords are not good at the best of times so everything else will need to be perfect.

thanks will set about it tomorrow see if i can find a leak