V5C - Dealer's name on green slip! - Franimal

I bought a second hand car at the end of July, dealer told me it was MOTd til April and taxed til december when I viewed the car. I checked online and saw that it was, indeed taxed. Agreed the sale and waited for guy to deliver and collect my old car... He turned up, we did paperwork, I paid... THEN he said it was no longer taxed as previous owner cashed it in! After a while he agreed to go and tax it as it was no good to me untaxed.

What I didn't realise was that he'd filled his own details out on the green slip and not mine, presumably to tax it. My fault for not checking I know. The problem is that I am still waiting for the new V5C to arrive, and he is still waiting for his money for the tax (which I won't pay until I have the documents for my car!). What can I do about this as technically, the car is in his name!! I have a receipt, with the registration of the car on it, to prove I have paid for it (it says paid in full) but I can't send off the green slip as it's not in my name!

V5C - Dealer's name on green slip! - pd

You don't send off the green slip. It is only to be used once when taxing it then you chuck it in the bin once the new V5 comes through.

The seller fills in the other part of the V5 and sends it to DVLA.

If you did agree to pay for the tax, do the decent thing and pay it and ask he sends the V5 off (it is in his interests to do so to get the car out of his name). If you didn't agree to pay it then fill in a V62 with £25 fee and send to DVLA.

NO!! NEVER throw the green slip away! That IS your V5 until the new document comes through! My problem is the dealer used his own personal details on it rather than MY details as he should've done! I told him at the time that I did NOT have the money to tax the car and as he informed me that it was taxed and waited until AFTER I'd paid to inform me that it wasn't, what was he going to do about it?! I said I would pay him back as soon as I was able to but it would be some time... I am guessing that is why he put the car in HIS name rather than mine... a detail I am very unhappy about as technically I am not insured as I can't prove the car is mine!

Until I have the documents, in MY name, I am not prepared to shell out MORE money for a car that he could go and report stolen!!! He's already had my previous car, and sold it on for a pretty large profit... I really have no problem paying for the tax, just not until he sends of the V5 as he is supposed to. I had confirmation that my old car is no longer my responsibility within 2 weeks - over a month later I am still waiting for my new V5...

the green slip is used to get a new V5 document should the seller not send off the original document. I can't use it for that purpose as it's not in my name!

I just want to know where I stand in this situation :)

V5C - Dealer's name on green slip! - pd

Did you give the dealer an insurance certificate in your name to tax it with? If not, they taxed it on their insurance which is why they put their name on it. He hasn't put the car in his name - the green slip cannot and does not change the ownership.

You are wrong as to what the green slip is for. It is to hold onto to tax it and retain until the new V5 comes through. It is never sent to the DVLA in normal circumstances and the car will not be in his name.

If you agreed to pay the tax pay it and he should then send off the front page of the V5 which presumably he still has and WILL change the ownership.

If he doesn't, you can download and fill in a V62 form and send it with a cheque for £25 to the DVLA which will put it you name. However, it is better the seller does the above as it is quicker (a V62 takes about 6 weeks to process). You DO NOT need the green slip for this.

Don't get hung up about the green slip and his details - it is just a way around him using his insurance at a Post Office and is meaningless in terms of changing the registered keeper.

The V5 does not prove ownership anyway. You still own the car, it is just the keeper you need to sort out.

Edited by pd on 16/09/2013 at 23:23

Fair enough - he was aware that it could be some time before I had the money, and it was his misinformation that caused the mixup with the tax in the first place...

According to the Government web site, I do need the green slip if the details aren't changed by the dealer to avoid having to pay a fee for this (I am flat broke), but I will just have to wait until he sends it off.

Either way, he's going to have to wait as I've already had to make a big dent in next month's rent to cover and unexpected vet bill (blah).

Thanks for the information - what's the betting the new document will arrive in the post in the morning?!

Cheers :)

V5C - Dealer's name on green slip! - retgwte

In any case Log book/V5 has nothing to do with who is the legal owner of the car. V5 simply records the registered keeper which is often someone different, especially for company cars and so on (although some companies register it in their name or indeed another related company). If you have a receipt you have proof the car belongs to you, so ownership is not an issue.

So then the only issue is whether another owner will show up on the new V5 between you and the last non trade owner, as this could reduce its resale value. Thats certainly something worth fighting but its not a risk of the police taking the car off you etc if you have proof of ownership. And so on.

Indeed the registered keeper doesnt need to be a driver, doesnt need to be any particular age. Indeed many a rock star with no licence has their limo in their name even though they never drive it. And there was an old trick of registering cars in childs names as they cannot be prosecuted and that sidesteps parking fines etc.

And so on.