Small car on a tight budget - LinuxGeek

I'll need to buy a small car soon and my budget is around £1k. It'll mainly be just a car for winters and to commute. My commute is 6 miles round trip. In summer I cycle to work but its quite hard to do so in winters. I've got a family car so this car would hardly be used by the whole family.

My main requirements are reliability and cheap to run!

I'm looking at Mitsubishi Colt. What do you think, is it a good choice? What else would you recommend?

Small car on a tight budget - coopshere
For the price you want to pay and the mileage you will do the most important factor is condition rather than which car. You will want to buy one with a new or nearly new MOT, tax would be a bonus. Check tyres as they will be an unneeded outlay if they are not in good condition. Search the local ads and try to find one that has been owned by the same person for some time who seems to have looked after it. If it lasts more than a year at that price it's a bonus but they are there to be found if you have the patience.
Small car on a tight budget - barney100

They are out there but it's a gamble at that price. Think I'd look for a Fiesta as you cxan hopefully maintain it quite cheaply with luck.

Small car on a tight budget - dan86

I would recomend Japanese something with little to no street credibility that has been looked after all its life probably by a elderly person. Cars like the Toyota starlet and the suzuki wagon are know for reliability and generally owned by older people who tend to look after there cars.

Small car on a tight budget - Mr Fox

Yes or if you can;t find that look for a Fiesta, a Corsa or a Clio, or a Fiat Panda / Punto, something cheap to insure, cheap to maintain, and that can be repaired with only a hammer and a screwdriver.

And buy it privately from the person who has owned it for a number of years, at the address in the log book, and who you think is not a shyster.

Otherwise you'll be paying £1000 for a £ 500 car and £500 dealer's profit.

Look on Auto trader or Ebay

Small car on a tight budget - Falkirk Bairn

I might be tempted to go for a unpopular but solid BIGGER car!

Something like a Mazda 626 petrol...........solid reliable....heavier on petrol, Ins & RFL

but with such a low budget condition, condition, condition.

Small car on a tight budget - veryoldbear

It's odd, the slightly bigger car can be cheaper to insure than the little "entry level" car ....

Small car on a tight budget - gordonbennet

As Dan86 above says, something Japanese (genuine) or Korean, preferably unfashionable and usually associated with the older driver.

As well as the good suggestions already made, i'd look for previous model Hyundai/Kia/Proton/Daewoo, my daughters fella picked himself up an excellent Proton Wira or whatever its called for 250 spondoolies and it was taxed and it runs like clockwork.

Small car on a tight budget - Cyd

Agree condition is paramount.

Pick something popular, something there's plenty of so secondhand spares are plentiful: fiesta, corsa, 206, clio

buy private. I've always managed to find cars that have been with their current owner a while often with only one previous owner, or whose current owner has died and left a young car the family wants rid of.

always give it a comprehensive test drive. thoroughly check the clutch for slip under all conditions, no matter what the mileage. drive the car on all types of road if possible.

As well as the big boys (autotrader, ebay) check out every small ads source you can find. Good cheap cars are out there, but sometimes you need to sniff them out like a bloodhound. Let your work colleagues know you're looking in case they hear of anything.

Small car on a tight budget - Chris M

I'd steer clear of Fiesta, Corsa, 206 etc. because they are cool and in demand by yoof and therefore command a premium. Something larger will be cheaper to buy and broaden the options. A well cared for 1.6 petrol Focus or Astra perhaps. Fuel costs are not an issue at 6 miles a day and petrol will warm up quicker on those winter mornings.

If you are running on a budget, secondhand spares supply is worth considering, so mass market appeal rather than Proton etc. in my view. How many Protons do you see at your local scrappy? Whilst it may be true that they a simple reliable cars, headlights, body panels, radiators etc. can get damaged on any car.

Small car on a tight budget - Avant

I agree absolutely with Coopshere above that condition matters more at this budget level than make or model. That said, Chris M's point above is well made and if you want a suggestion then mine would be to look at something Japanese. A Colt as you mentioned could be an idea, but if you look on Autotrader there will be many more Toyotas about, and nothing soldiers on like an old Toyota, except perhaps an old Volvo which is probably too big for a short commute.

Go for a Starlet, Yaris or Corolla.

Edited by Avant on 15/09/2013 at 18:31

Small car on a tight budget - mary5
I'd second the Toyota vote. Great experience with Yaris, just kept on going with regular servicing.
Small car on a tight budget - madf
I'd second the Toyota vote. Great experience with Yaris, just kept on going with regular servicing.

+1

Small car on a tight budget - LinuxGeek

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I'll look for something Japanese (which is what I like :-) ). I'll look at bigger as well as smaller cars and hopefully I'll be able to find one that fits my requirements and my pocket.