Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - tennand

The handbook says not to use a cycle rack hung on the back. I assume the lightweight construction and plastic bumper cannot cope. Has anyone tried it for one bike, on the assumption the manufacturers are covering themselves against anyone hanging three on the back ?

I would go for a towbar mounted carrier except my latest Jazz is a Hybrid with a battery in the boot and towbars banned, presumably because of fixing problems.

Top Reply

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - geoff1248
We also have a Jazz and found that by taking off the front wheel of the bike and folding down the rear seats that we could easily get a bike inside the car. Depending upon the size of the bike frames it may be possible to get two bikes I side. Don't underestimate how much room there is with the seats folded and the bikes front wheels removed.

All Replies

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - drd63

I've had similar concerns with recent cars and not felt confident about cycle racks on the back - some just won't fit with spoilers etc or bumper/tailgate is too flimsy.

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - Bromptonaut

If you cannot get a single bike inside could you carry it on a roof rack.?

IME roof is way to go anyway with a normal height car. Transverse bars on car and a suitable longitudinal carrier, the Halfors's economy one is OK, that clamps bike's down tube to hold bike upright. Works even on Miss B's b/f's Pug107 for two bikes.

With a bit of experiment for best order of different framesizes and bar/saddle heights we could get four on top of our old Xantia.

Far less faff then strapping some contraption to the tailhatch.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 09/09/2013 at 22:55

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - Alby Back

Quite apart from anything else, the very best bit about having your bikes on the roof is the ability to open the back hatch and sit on the ledge eating your picnic after the bike ride ! Makes the fuel consumption penalty almost worthwhile. Can't have a bike ride without a picnic now can you? Wouldn't be right.

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - Avant

Bikes or no bikes, it's amazing how many estates and hatchbacks fail the 'picnic test' as described by Alby.

Unlike you, Alby, we have happy memories of our Renault Espace - the boot floor and height were ideal for Mum or Dad to sit at the back doling out the picnic to the children. But that was a 1988 petrol model whch served us valiantly for 125,000 miles - well before Renault's fall from grace.

The current Octavia is also fine provided you specify a variable boot floor.

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - ExNHS

I have the same problem with our Jazz, so gave away a Halfords back hung rack to our daughter.The problem with roof mounted racks is that you have to be strong enough and tall enough to lift the bikes on-I know-I've had that sort as well.

Also,a word of warning, a friend who is a keen cyclist drove under a metal height barrier at a local recycing centre, but forgot he had their bikes on.

Completely smashed them.

His cost £5K and could not be insured.

His wife says he cried.

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - Alby Back

Oh to be fair to the Espace, I spent many an hour sitting on its "back step" drinking coffee.

Mainly while waiting for the AA.

But to come back to bike racks, there's a knack to loading the roof mounted ones. If you are struggling to reach, one trick is to open a back door of the car and step up onto the sill.

I've used roof mounted racks on Qashqais which are tall-ish cars using that method without problems. Admittedly though it's a lot easier now I have a more conventional estate car ( E Class ) with that I can easily reach even the middle rack without having to stand on anything other than the ground beside the car.

I really mistrust those strap on hang-it-off-the-back type bike racks. They may well be secure but they don't look it.

I'm using Thule roof mounters at present and while not cheap, they do just work. ( and you can have a picnic ! )

Fuel consumption is affected though. My car will average 45 or so to the gallon with no bikes upstairs but on a run down to the Vendee this summer with 3 mountain bikes up there it fell to 32 mpg ( by the trip readout anyway ) I wasn't too bothered as it was for a purpose and my weekend trips with bikes as a function of my total mileage are insignificant but I guess a towbar mounted rig would give better economy. They're not cheap to buy though so you pays your money / takes your choice so to speak.

Happy biking !

Honda Jazz - Cycle Rack - geoff1248
We also have a Jazz and found that by taking off the front wheel of the bike and folding down the rear seats that we could easily get a bike inside the car. Depending upon the size of the bike frames it may be possible to get two bikes I side. Don't underestimate how much room there is with the seats folded and the bikes front wheels removed.