Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - kirklander73

Hi everyone.

I am thinking of replacing my tired vw polo (W reg 1.4) with a family owned MG ZR 115 bhp diesel. It has very low miles for a 2005 model (30,000) and has been very well looked after. Trouble is I have heard a great many bad things about the old MG/Rover cars over the years!

I do a fair amount of motorway miles and a Diesel car seems the way to go. can anyone shed some light on these cars?

Many thanks!!

Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - Cyd

My missus has a 04 R25 1.4. We've had it since early 2005. Now 79k up. It's a decent little motor. We expect to have it at least another 5 years. Drives nice. Quiet on the motorway.

Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - Simon

As a diesel it will probably not be too bad, it was the petrol versions that suffered with the Head Gasket failures. That said its a Rover, well an MG badged Rover and its never going to be the greatest, smoothest car. The build quality was never the best but it depends what you want. The only other possible problem is obscure spare parts are very difficult to come by should you need anything out of the ordinary, I am led to believe that things like intercooler hoses and clutch arms were very scarce at one time, they may still be? If the price is right though it may be quite a decent buy.

Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - SteveLee

As a diesel it will probably not be too bad, it was the petrol versions that suffered with the Head Gasket failures. That said its a Rover, well an MG badged Rover and its never going to be the greatest, smoothest car. The build quality was never the best but it depends what you want. The only other possible problem is obscure spare parts are very difficult to come by should you need anything out of the ordinary, I am led to believe that things like intercooler hoses and clutch arms were very scarce at one time, they may still be? If the price is right though it may be quite a decent buy.

K-Series head gasket issues aside the 1998-2004ish Rovers were actually pretty good quality, the car you're looking at had quite an old (Rover L-Series) design diesel, not particularly refined but being an old-school design it can wrack up interstellar mileages. No DMFs or particulate filters to worry about, excellect fuel economy and they'll run on just about anything - lots of DIY biofuel brewers running these engines. They are brilliant handlers - the chassis was very well sorted without being too harsh.

Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - kirklander73

Many thanks!

Mg ZR 115 Diesel. - How do you rate these? - Avant

These cars are worth very little, probably because of the risk of spare parts getting more difficult to get as time goes on. If you're getting it very cheaply, it could be worth the risk, and as mentioned above Rover diesels aren't known for particular problems.