2nd hand Saab S3 or S5 - alex76

Hey all,

been reading some threads on these Saabs, and think i may get a 2nd hand one.

details are:

- 4 to 4.5k budget.

- will mainly be used for London driving although will be used to head to west country once / twice a month.

- carrying young baby stuff as well as surfing / bike kit.

- want to avoid crippling insurance costs.

Can anyone recommend which particular models to avoid / look at? Am easy re Petrol v Diesel, but want manual for sure.

Is this a decent budget for one, or do i need to increase?

Many thnaks,

Alex

2nd hand Saab S3 or S5 - 72 dudes

The 9-3 and 9-5 basically use the same engines. The 9-5 obviously has more interior space and a bigger boot, but is more old fashioned than the 9-3.

The diesel engines are the 1.9 CDTi GM units as used in the Vauxhall Vectra, Astra and some Fiats. At this age and budget, they can (like many other diesel engines) suffer from potentially expensive faults.

There was also an earlier 2.2 DTi engine which was really old school with a narrow power band and sounded like a skeleton rattling around in a metal dustbin.

So, in your shoes, I would avoid the diesels and go for one of the petrols. Basically the same engine in various states of tune, called 1.8t, 2.0t and the 2.0T Aero. There was a non turbo 1.8 in the 9-3 but it was much unloved. A 2.3t engine was available in the 9-5 and theres was also a pointless 2.8 V6 in both.

So, I would look for a 9-3 1.8t (150 bhp), probably in Vector trim. If you're tooling around London don't expect to get much more than 22-24 MPG, but the West Country trips should see 35 MPG or a bit more depending on your driving, the conditions etc.

The 2.0t is a little quicker and only a little bit more thirsty, but the 1.8t provides a good balance.

For the baby kit and bike gear, you might want to look at the Sportwagen estate versions too. Join the Saab discussion forum, lots of good advice there (I had a 9000 CSE 2.3t years ago)

2nd hand Saab S3 or S5 - Cyd

have a read here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=99578

Since I wrote my 'essay' I have ditched the ContiSports and fitted a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Ass2. I can report that they suit the car much better than the Contis ever did. The car is much more comfortable and so much quieter. Grip is superior too under just about all conditions. Grip undr power is demonstrably better - it is noticable that the traction system is doing so much less work meaning progress on the road is much better.

I had F1 GSD2 on a Rover turbo and they were fantastic then too. Similarly the Rovers Torson diff had less work to do. I shalln't ever be fiting aything else again on this car.

2nd hand Saab S3 or S5 - brettmick

I had a 1.9 150 Diesel for three years which I bought at a year old.

Nice car to look at, really comfy seats with excellent driving position, would be a bit worried about owning an older one as they aren't as well put together as the 9000 used to be. Bit stodgy to drive enthusiastically but very decent on the motorway. Be patient and find a good one and I reckon you will enjoy it - but if you want boringly reliable never breaks motoring buy a 2005 1.8 petrol Toyota Avensis instead.