SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - ACW

Hi my new model 1.6tdi leon radiator fan stays on for up to 10 min even after a short run on a cold morning. if i turn the engine on and off the fan goes off.

Anybody else have this problem/behaviour

It started just this last 2 weeks and is getting more frequent, the outside temperature if anything is getting cooler.

Car has done 2000 miles, new in June, it was taken to the garage for a check but nothing found, the salesman told my wife his demo car did the same

Thanks

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - skidpan

Hi my new model 1.6tdi leon radiator fan stays on for up to 10 min even after a short run on a cold morning. if i turn the engine on and off the fan goes off.

What fan light. My new Leon 1.4 TSi (bought in June) does not have one and looking the the handbook there isn't one in the warning light section.

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - craig-pd130

Does the fan run every single journey? If so, it could either be a faulty sensor / switch for the radiator fan.

Alternatively, it could be the DPF trying to regenerate. I don't know for certain this happens on VW group cars, but on my current Volvo and previous Ford diesels, the radiator fan always switches on when there's a DPF regeneration happening (it helps keep underbonnet temperatures down).

It may simply need a run on an open road at above 40mph for 15 minutes or so.

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - ACW

Thanks for the answers, might be the regeneration as it happens after short trips.

asked at the garage but cluless as expected

cheers

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - KatyFi

Hi, I have a 2013 SEAT Leon 1.6 TDi with the same problem. I've owned the car since it was 6 months old and had 10k, it now has 44k. The fan runs on after almnost every journey, long or short. The mileage I cover should rule out any DPF concerns. I'm currently in a heated debated with SEAT UK as a week ago the car (still under warranty) lost all electrical power, with the sole exception of the fan running! I was stranded for 2 hours until the RAC arrived and when after another hour the eletrics can back on without explanation. The RAC seem to think that the fan running on may have confused the 'brain' which diagnositics suggested was related to a module in the steering column. The Main dealer cannot find the fault and I'm currently driving a vehicle, hoping each time I go somewhere that it doesn't happen again. Car is going back to SEAT dealership next week for further investigation. Happy for you to contat me directly if you need to use my case as an example to get the car looked at.

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - mo athar

Got the same issue today, we have a 2014 reg 1.6 TDI DSG. Turning the ignition on/off seemed to clear it.

will keep an eye on this. The weather today (on the southcoast) was breezy and coolish (about 8 C) but not freezing.

have had the car for just a month. this is the first time it's done it.

Mind you, 104 bhp doesn't seem enough when you are going uphil, it really struggles (perhaps subject for another thread).

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - Railroad.

This is perfectly normal. You've switched off the engine whilst the diesel particulate filter was in the process of a regeneration. In this case the cooling fans will run for a short while. This should be explained in the vehicle handbook.

SEAT Leon - Seat leon 1.6tdi fan stays on - Ivan1111

Your car is in process of DPF regeneration.

Check RPM before turn off engine,it should be 1000RPM ,normal is 800RPM.

In that case the car should run till process doesn't finish.

When that has happened to me (I saw RPM 1000 on traffic light) I went on motorway and rive car for a 10 min in 5 gear with RPM about 2200 that is enough to finish process of DPF regeneration