Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - becca86

Hi all

Driving home this evening when a message flashed on the centre consol saying 'Braking System Faulty'. The ABS light along with a 'STOP' light came on on the dash, Brakes working perfectly, nothing has been done to them recently. Shortly after another message appeared saying 'power steering faulty' but I still had power steering. The braking message appeared about 6 times, the power steering message only once. I've only had the car (it's an 07 plate) since May and have already had to have a full clutch kit replacement due to a faulty thrust bearing. Can anyone shed any light on what this problem might be and what I should do next? Beginning to think that buying a newer car in order to save money on running cost was not such a good idea and I should have stuck to my trusty T reg Fiesta :( Thanks in advance

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Big John

My money is on something being disturbed or missed off when you had the clutch replacement. e.g. earth lead?

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Andrew-T

Beginning to think that buying a newer car in order to save money on running cost was not such a good idea and I should have stuck to my trusty T reg Fiesta

It's no help, but you could be right. Always better the devil you know, especially if trusty ... and people do sometimes move cars on for a reason other than just getting bored with them.

And I say this as the owner of a 207 SW, a 6-month-old ex-rental when I got it. Although that can mean it has not been loved, at least it moved on simply because a service was due ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/09/2013 at 12:01

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - shazzamac

Hi can you tell ke what was actually wrong with your car and how it was fixed as mine is doing the exact same just now. It was fine it went in for its MOT and passed but every morning since then this warning kessage is coming up and my garage dont know why. Thanks.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Gibbo_Wirral

They need to do a diagnostic with the Lexia equipment. Generic "scan any car" codereaders quite often don't pick up the faults.

If your garage doesn't have the equipment there are plenty of Peugeot owners and enthusiasts around the UK who do. Is there anyone close to you on this map:

maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214397633218647067111...e

It could be something quite simple like the brake switch, they're only around £6 from Euro Car Parts. But don't throw parts at it until you've had a diagnostic.

And be aware that there's a design fault in the 207s rear light cluster on the left hand side. The earth wire in the wiring loom isn't strong enough and burns out the pin.

This document relates to it on the 407, but its the same issue:

www.407owners.com/docs/rearlightbulbsold.pdf

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - becca86

Hi, sorry for delay in reply. It turned out the central circuit board located in the glove box was faulty and needed replacing. I can't think of the correct name for the part so If anyone can help with that please do! It's leaking oil now which is a pain, especially as it's just had a new CV gator to get it through the MOT! Hope this helps.

The BSI? Was there any reason it went faulty - water ingress is a bit issue, so make sure that any leaks have been dealt with or it will happen again.

Hi thanks for replying. It stopped for a few weeks there but it flashed up when i was driving last night. How much did it cost you to have it fixed?

Thanks

Hi now gwtting abs fault and anti pollution fault this is driving me mad! When this happens my power steering goes the steering wheel gets heavy and my speedometer drops out help!

Lots of errors there, possibly unconnected so I'd look for something common to them - which is usually the car battery. If you don't know the age consider replacing it - even if it appears to start the car OK.

Make sure all earth points are good, checking for hidden ones, and then perform the obligatory BSI reset.

Thanks its in the garage just now so will see what they say

Nightmare!!! Had it in at a local garage they thought it might be the abs unit but werent 100% said i should look at it like an open cheque book! I dont work through ill health and it took us 4 years to save the money for a car. I put it into a peugeot dealer today, they jave said i need a new abs block and it will cost £1841!!!! I told them i dont have that kibd of money, i have only had the car since last april and still paying sone of it off. I dont know what to do, i asked if they could ask peugeot to pay some of it or all of it as this seems to be a very common fault from what i have been reading. I think this seems a hell of a lot of money for an abs unit. Any advice would be great. Thanka

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes im a bit upset and wrote it in a panic

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - dieselnut

You have previously mentioned several electrical issues with the car, BSI, power stering, ABS. All these systems require a reliable & stable 12v supply from the battery/alternator or they shut down.

You may have a loose wire somewhere or poor earth conexion. Check the fuse box for corosion or loose conexion. You may need to get an Auto electrician involved. Could be as simple as a new battery required as pointed out by Gibbo.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Manatee

Sound suggestion dieselnut.

I always think "what are the chances of two faults occurring almost at the same time?"

Sometimes they do of course, more often they don't.

As an example - about 5 years ago I was towing in the hissing rain, headlights and wipers on, when the SRS light came on. Slight concern, but no reason to stop. Then it was followed quickly by just about every other light including the charging one.

I knew what that one meant, so turned off all non-essential consumers and carried on, assuming that the chance of everything light related having failed at the same time was about the same as me winning the lottery.

Made the destination, fortunately. Got the caravan positioned before parking car and switching off. Alternator failed.

Most of us probably have a reluctance to spend money on diagnosis (of which reading fault codes is the start, not the end). Better than parts darts though.

Hope this turns out to be something other than the ABS block.

Whereabouts are you Manatee? It might be a good idea to get a fellow 207 owner to give your car the once over and check some things - one who doesn't have any vested interest in making money off you.

The Planet map I maintain is made up of people like that.
Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Manatee

Sorry to confuse - not my 207. It was an entirely different car I had the Christmas display on - just making the point that when lots of things don't work at the same time, there's often a common cause.

It's not obvious how an ABS fault (especially the block) would affect power steering etc is it?

Thanks, waiting on peugeot getting back to me, cant afford the dealer to repair it if i dont get anywhere with them. Think i will invest in a new battery. Dont know if i said previously but when put on diagnostucs it had no communication with the abs.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - AlexT

Vermin?

Same thing with one of the renaults we have at work, rodents destroyed some of the wiring and the on board computer said injection not detected or something like that. Mechanics opened it up, and discovered loads of wires were chewed by mice.

Other than that, try measuring the 12 volts with a cheap voltmeter ( like : www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LCD-AC-DC-Voltmeter-Multime...1) you don't need anything fancy, especially when you get errors. I have a friend who has an old Dacia and he wired a digital voltmeter (like this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5-30V-MiNi-Digital-Blue-LED-C...1) into the bord, so he always sees how much the voltage is (has problems with his alternator, and turning on the lights whilst driving at night empties his battery).

So should the battery measure 12 volts? Sorry but i know nothing about cars lol.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Andrew-T

Think i will invest in a new battery....

Don't invest before testing the existing battery, not forgetting its connections.

Ok so peugeot have said they will pay 75% of the parts but i still have a bill of £500, this better fix the problem cos i have no money for any others at the moment! They must know theres a problem with the ABS in the peugeot 207's or why else would they agree to pay this?

Do you seriously think rodents could have caused this? Will need to see once they replace the ABS block i will let you all know, thanks.

There are some very nasty faults with the 207 - the poor quality earth in the rear light clusters and water leaks getting into the ECU and wiring. A couple of 207 owners have recently posted problems in peugeotforums.com

So developments today the peugeot dealer my car is in to be repaired called me to say that on saturday before they ordered the ABS in they got the electrical technician to look at it, he found nothing wrong with the abs, he said that water has been leaking from the main engine wiring harness onto the wires and it needs a new fuse box, engine wiring harness and washer pump and something else, cant remember what. She daid that the techical extension warrantry covers cars up to 5 years, when i took the car into them it was 5 years and 4 days old! She told me to call peugeot again and tell them what she said she also said in my sservice book ithad a sticker which meant the car owner before me was from down south and a peugeot employee of sorts. So the service had been maintained. She said that peugeot would pay for the parts but 11 hours labour was required costing £1120! Which i had to pay and she didnt think i should.

I called them and explained the situation they then called the dealer and asked them what was wrong the girl told them abd aaid she thought peugeot should cover the costs as this was a fault!

Thanks goodness they are covering all costs and she dpesnt think it needs a new abs at all. This is ridiculous how can peugeot say nothing is wrong with these cars!

Thanks for the feedback. Keep us posted and I'll let the poor 207 owners on the Pug forum of this thread.

No problem im just getting it back today its taken them 3 full days to replace and fit the parts! Just want ut back to get rid of the b***** thing now, i dont trust it anymore! If this thread can help other 207 owners then thats great. I already know if soneone else with the exact same issues, turned out not to be the abs either but water leaking into the main engine wiring loom too from the washer pump! This is defo a manufacturing issue with thses cars.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - khaled dissi

i got it fixed!!!!!!

first of all i am going to describe the issue that happenned to me ..

i first had the check engine light on the dash but didnt pay attention to that since it might have been a faulty gas cap..

then the ESP ASR light came up but was temporary as it would not show up upon the second start of the car..

but after couple of day of it popping on and off i had the:

* airbag system faulty message

* ASR ESP system faulty

* braking system faulty

* stop message appeared as when this happenned i lost power

but after i restarted the car it would drive better,, then the messages will appear again and the same problem would presist.

since all the systems of the couldnt have broken down on the same time, i thought i'd check the ECU ( the chip harness next to me left foot near the pedals), as i thought such issue is electrical rather than mechanical< and as i heard that most peugeots had the same issue < and its just a matter of either corroded terminals or loose wiring

i reached down there and squeezed on the sockets connected to the ecu< then i restarted the car and none of these problems came up again, and even the check engine light didnt light up again, as i hope you would give this a try before paying tons to a mechanic that most propably wont know the sollution for this issue

try it and let me know what happenned , did it work with you too or not, Best regards

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Rishan Ram

Hi which wiring you squuezed

i got it fixed!!!!!!

i first had the check engine light on the dash but didnt pay attention to that since it might have been a faulty gas cap..

then the ESP ASR light came up but was temporary as it would not show up upon the second start of the car..

* ASR ESP system faulty

* braking system faulty

but after i restarted the car it would drive better,, then the messages will appear again and the same problem would presist.

since all the systems of the couldnt have broken down on the same time, i thought i'd check the ECU ( the chip harness next to me left foot near the pedals), as i thought such issue is electrical rather than mechanical< and as i heard that most peugeots had the same issue < and its just a matter of either corroded terminals or loose wiring

i reached down there and squeezed on the sockets connected to the ecu< then i restarted the car and none of these problems came up again, and even the check engine light didnt light up again, as i hope you would give this a try before paying tons to a mechanic that most propably wont know the sollution for this issue

try it and let me know what happenned , did it work with you too or not, Best regards

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - gooosh1

This is a very old thread, however I hope that someone here came up with a verified solution as my Peugeot 207 (2006) is doing exactly the same.

It started intermittently with the dashboard warning lights coming on showing ABS "STOP" faulty, Anti-Pollution Faulty, Braking System Faulty and then the battery light shows and the Speedo goes completely dead. The steering wheel then goes really hard. This happened intermittently for a few months and then it just became permanent. I took the car to National Tyre who kindly plugged it into a diagnostic computer and it didn't show any connection. The technician sprayed some WD40 onto the terminals in the electric box next to the battery in the engine compartment thinking that there was a dead connection. It still didn't work. He recommends taking to a Peugeot Dealer and we all know that would be financial suicide and literally at the mercy of being bent over a barrel and the chances are they wouldn't have an exact solution and it would be the start of £1,000's spend before actually finding the problem. Please can anyone help, it seems to be problem caused before amongst other readers and surely someone has eventually had the problem solved first time from a credible mechanic???

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - RobJP

The first mistake you've made is by taking it to where you have already been, and calling the person who had a look at it a 'technician'. By the sound of what he's done, he's a fitter. Nothing else.

Have a look on here - HJ does have a garage recommendations system, where people post up reviews. There are others (goodgaragescheme.co.uk), and while no review system is perfect, you will hopefully do better than random chance.

Alternatively, post up (roughly) where in the UK you are. Someone local to you might be able to point you towards a helpful garage.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - old-school-tech

I would 2nd this, taking a car back to the same garage for a fault like this can sometimes be a bad move, If that garage was at fault 1st time round its unlikely that they would hold their hands up and admit it. (unless they are a decent honest garage, but probably wouldn't have messed up 1st time round anyway)

more often than not they will tell you something else has failed, more money in their pocket without having to inform you how incompetent they were.

In my experience if a problem/fault occurs not long after your car has been into a garage for another fault it is usually connected, not always, but more often than not.

replacing a clutch involves removing the gearbox, this involves disturbing ABS components, earth wires, battery, wiring looms etc, the engine will be hanging down if not supported correctly and this in turn can cause future problems, In fact lots of problems can occur if it its done with care, or put back together correctly.

If you experience a problem not long after someone else has had your car in bits its not a bad idea to get a 3rd party technician to look at it before you take it back, you are more likely to get an honest appraisal of your car since the 3rd party won't be worried about covering his back.

good luck.

There is a third option - go onto the Peugeot or Citroen forums and find a local member who owns the LEXIA diagnostic equipment. Its a clone of the exact same diagnostic gear that dealers use.

WD40? Oh dear.

The 207 does have some design faults with water ingress into the wiring loom. Have a browse on peugeotforums.com and you'll know what to look out for yourself for free.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - edlithgow

I don't get either of the above posts. They seem to be a reply to the gooosh1 post immediately above, but don't make any sense in that context.

As I read it, the OP took a car with a long-established, serious set of electrical faults into a National Tyre Centre which ran diagnostics (failed to establish connection) and one of the fitters sprayed it with WD40.. "Very kindly" suggests to me they didn't charge for this. Good on them.

Whence comes this "Don't take it back to the people who messed up " jive?

The people who messed up are the people who built junk and the people who bought junk, but that can't be helped now.

Surprised to be saying this, but knee-jerk anti-garage-ism seems to be getting a bit out of hand lately.

EDIT Oh wait...5 years ago. Not so lately then. Still true though.

You have to look at the evidence.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/12/2020 at 03:25

i got it fixed!!!!!!

* ASR ESP system faulty

* braking system faulty

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Rishan Ram

Hi what did you do to fix the fault my car is doing the same. email me please rishanval13@gmail.com

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Crickleymal

You're unlikely to get a reply to a 6 year old post I'm afraid

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - Peugeot refurbishing specialis

Soiled or worn belt, causes the alternator to slip rotations against the belt.

To solve the problem, first clean the main belt with soapy water, check for any belt damage and wipe away any grease and dirt from spindles.

To ensure there are no faults for the ABS system remove and clean the sensors on each hub and clean the track rod and.

Once the car has started and run for 3 minutes, all fault codes will disappear. When driving try not to go into muddy puddles and wash your wheel arches throughly at least once a month.

Mine had the same issue and I have since done 220k miles with no fault codes.

Peugeot 207cc 2010 currently 300k miles, only had to change pads, oil and filters at service.

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - madf

"When driving try not to go into muddy puddles and wash your wheel arches throughly at least once a month."

Hmm I live with most roads covered with mud (tractors0 and partially flooded..

Our 17 year old Yaris has never had ABS sensor problems. despite the above. Maybe it's because it is rarely washed? :-)

Peugeot 207 - braking system faulty - edlithgow

My 34 year old Skywing has never had ABS sensor problems either. Maybe it's because it doesn't have one?

That seems to work every time.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/12/2020 at 04:14