Decent value estate car. - alex76
Hi Guys,

Looking to spend up to 4k on an estate car, had a look on the usual sites and to be honest a little stumped as there's such variety.

Considerations are:

- ability to cart bikes and boards either in or on the car.
- reasonable insurance.
- economical running costs.
- needs to fit my little one in the back.
- comfortable for trips of 4-5 hours.

Any thoughts or suggestions...

Many thanks,

Alex.
Decent value estate car. - Oli rag

Mazda 6 estate or Toyota avensis estate would fit the bill. Providing you buy a petrol engined variety, which should do high 30's to the gallon. They are both very good cars and good value,but make sure you don't buy the diesel versions which have iffy reliability.

Thanks,

Not looked at Mazada, but did test one of the Toyotas - didn't like it, very cumbersome... But my current car is a Golf!

What about a BMW Tourer?

Thanks,

Alex.
Decent value estate car. - oldtoffee

>>>What about a BMW Tourer?

For £4K reasonable insurance and economical running costs? Nope.

Choose from the petrol, manual box versions of Mondeo, Mazda 6, Avensis, Octavia....

Decent value estate car. - SteveLee

You'd be bonkers to look beyond a Ford Mondeo - a superb car, reliable comfortable and cheap thanks to badge snobbery.

Decent value estate car. - skidpan

Muppet system double post.

Edited by skidpan on 18/08/2013 at 09:23

Decent value estate car. - skidpan

Kia Ceed SW. £4000 might just get you a 2007 1.6 CRDi with the 115 bhp engine. No DPF, no DMF and if its been serviced correctly still a years of the manufacturers warranty.

From personal experience I can confirm that the Ceed has identical luggage space to a Mondeo with the seats up but a bit less with them folded. Passenger space is a bit down in the rear but it still carries 3 comfortably. But it does not need huge parking spaces and wheras our Mondeo TDCI averaged 38 mpg the Ceed SW has averaged 51 mpg (both calculated).

We have found our Ceed more comfortable over an 8 hour trip to Scotland than any previous car, we always arrive feeling fresh.

I know which I prefer.

Edited by skidpan on 18/08/2013 at 09:22

Decent value estate car. - Bromptonaut

I'll stick in my usual suggestion, Berlingo or Partner.

Three full seats in the back, two with isofix points if that's relevant. Sliding doors make access/egress easy for kids. Loads of space to store their bits/bobs on longer journeys.

Same boot capacity as a large estate on the footprint of a medium saloon.

Has ranged from home in Northampton as far north as the Butt of Lewis and south to Catalonia. Comfortable for a 12hr day on autoroutes etc.

Reliabiity on our 05 model has been as near 100% as you could wish for. Only 'no go' problems were failure of original clutch at 110k miles and a corroded alternator main output shortly after. Clutch partly my fault as I ignored garage's warning it was on its last knockings and could have saved us from the consequent stranding on the A5.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/08/2013 at 10:14

Decent value estate car. - Andrew-T

The anti-French brigade will titter, but any of the Pug SW vehicles. Roof rails if you want to use them; flat load area; reliable diesels. I've had my 207 for 4½ years and spent only regular maintenance and a set of tyres. Better than 60mpg, but I don't expect that from everyone.

Thanks for all the help guys, went to check some out this weekend and think we're going to stick with a Golf - but not the current GTI.

Alex.
Decent value estate car. - Cyd

Have a look at a Saab 9-3.

I have a saloon Aero tuned to 260PS/360Nm. It's near silent on the motorway (now I've junked the Contis and changed to Goodyear F1) and supremely comfortable over any distance or time. It's a very natural car to drive - it kinda fits like a glove. And you can't argue with Saab safety.

Have a look - I dare you not to like them.

Decent value estate car. - Avant

Go for a Golf estate if you want to stick with VW, although also bear in mind that you could get a bigger, newer, mechanically identical Octavia estate for the same money.