VW Bora '02' - Keeps cutting out - Mad Monk

I have a VW Bora that keeps cutting out, normally when I am leaving a roundabout or going around corners leaving me without steering and brakes. When this happens the ESP light comes on first followed by the engine management light. No codes are raised. I cannot jump start the car and have to turn the ignition off and then restart the car. It starts first time leading me to believe that it is not fuel related.

I have had it in a number of garages and they cannot find the fault this includes the main dealer who had it for two days.

Yesterday for the first time she died going around a roundabout and just as the revs were dropping she coughed and restarted but the ESP light stayed on. When I later restarted the car the ESP light went out.

I week ago she died when I was crossing a roundabout leaving me stuck across two lanes at rush-hour with a lorry coming at speed to me. Can anyone help me before the car kills me?

VW Bora '02' - Keeps cutting out - A3 A4

You don't say which engine it is.

For what its worth my OH's Audi A3 1.6 (similar to Bora engine) started doing exactly the same thing, the ESP and engine management lights were also intermittant, although not always showing when it cut out.

I read on the Audi forum that the temperature sensor can give this symptom as well as a myirad of other symptoms. As the part was only £7 and easy to fit I took a gamble, fitted a new one and hey presto all was cured including the random ESP and management lights. That was 10k miles ago.

Edited by A3 A4 on 14/08/2013 at 17:49