N/A - Motorway Services - RaineMan

I try to avoid these if at all possible –sometimes though it is unavoidable. In recent years I have had the impression they were upping there game. Now I think not. The other day we stopped at Thurrock Services for a break and something to eat. Although it was not that late (8:00 p.m.) the choice was very limited. Costa only had cakes, etc. available (I am getting fed up with them popping up everywhere from my nearest Tesco to outpatients’ departments), an outlet whose name escapes me had a selection of hot food that looked like it had been kept warm for hours and the burger outlet had a long queue. We ended up getting a sandwich and cold drink from the M+S outlet. Thurrock services 2/10!

Do any forum members know any decent places nearby?

Edited by RaineMan on 12/08/2013 at 13:24

N/A - Motorway Services - Dutchie

Prices are reasonable in the UK compared with France.At least there are toilet facilities and with a bit of luck they are clean.We usually have a coffee and a piece of cake,to be truthfull I don't mind the M/Services.

N/A - Motorway Services - unthrottled

Two weeks ago I popped into Stafford Services. A standard coffee was £3.09. Even the Burger King wasn't much cheaper. I remembered why I always take a thermos with me on long trips. If Weatherspoons can sell coffee for 79p in city centre outlets and still make a profit something is very wrong. The rental cost of land next to a motorway must be peanuts. Someone is making a fortune and I won't be contributing to it.

Edited by unthrottled on 12/08/2013 at 17:20

N/A - Motorway Services - John Boy

RaineMan said "... Costa only had cakes, etc. available (I am getting fed up with them popping up everywhere from my nearest Tesco to outpatients’ departments)..."

I can certainly sympathise with Costa popping up everywhere. The Tesco in Lottbridge Drove, Eastbourne served great coffee until Costa took over the franchise and started serving weak, overpriced coffee in massive cups.

Unfortunately, I can't help with an alternative to Thurrock Services. I'd like to find one myself.

N/A - Motorway Services - Andrew-T

Someone is making a fortune and I won't be contributing to it.

Fuel has always been at a premium on the M'ways and on some major arterials. Not being able to charge my employer for the cost of my fuel, I have always avoided M'way services for anything other than calls of nature - with one or two exceptions. Tebay on the M6 in Cumbria has an excellent eatery, and there used to be a nice one at Keele too.

Edited by Andrew-T on 13/08/2013 at 12:30

N/A - Motorway Services - Cyd

Nowadays, if I have to make a long journey that might require a stop off I simply google for a nice pub just off track. Either that or stop at a Tesco or Asda for its cafe, at least they are cheap.

N/A - Motorway Services - Smileyman

Thurrock is junction 30 of the M25 - and on the A13, it's just 'around the corner' from Lakeside shopping centre. I used to live nearby, if I recall correctly there is a food court on the top (3rd) floor, as well as a lakeside restaurant area with many of the usual restaurant chains represented. There is also a big Tesco on one of the retail parks adjacent, it will probably have a restaurant offering better food than a motorway (albeit still Tesco food).

With this choice you are bound to find something nicer than found at the services ....

Edited by Smileyman on 13/08/2013 at 00:18

N/A - Motorway Services - jc2

But not much nicer!!!!(there's even an IKEA.).

Edited by jc2 on 13/08/2013 at 09:35

N/A - Motorway Services - RaineMan

I wonder how many of the food outlets would be open at 8:00 pm? Around here most cafes close by 4:30 if not earlier. Google suggests there are restaurants outside but I tend to be wary of these when travelling as a one hour break can stretch to a very long time!

N/A - Motorway Services - Chris79

I quite like the costa and starbucks you find in motorway services. Comfortable and kid friendly. Much better than what used to be in some services. Oersonally I think our service stations are much better than the French ones also.

One mans poison however......

N/A - Motorway Services - madf

The only good and reasoanbley priced fast food coffe is Macdonalds.

N/A - Motorway Services - Chris M

Weekdays open 'till 10.00pm, but the retail park next door has all the usual fast food outlets including the pizza places, KFC, Frankie & Benny and Harry Ramsden. This is South Essex, so it's not going to be fine dining. Using a knife and fork is fine dining in that part of the world.

The Tesco is 24 hour, so if you are desperate, get a sandwich and eat it in the car.

N/A - Motorway Services - Ordovices

I have always viewed these as a last resort. However, after a long and arduous journey from the Ardennes last Saturday (caused mainly by P&O), I found myself at Cobham on the M25 and was astounded by the choice available; noodles, mex, M&S and all the usual suspects. Parking was plentiful and the food was, I thought, quite acceptable and reasonably priced particularly when compared to the "Aires" on the A26.

I haven't got my hopes too high though, I fully expect the northern M6 stations (with the one exception of Westmoorland) to have held on to their mediocrity.

N/A - Motorway Services - Bobbin Threadbare

Tebay isn't bad. Nice views from Shap Summit! It was awarded a 'Loo of the Year' prize I believe.