BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - chello8009

Hi,

I've recently been offered a new position for £38K and option for company car or car allowance [£300]. I don't know how many miles I'll do as I haven't started yet. I'm thinking about buying a BMW Series 3 Coupe 335 petrol as my personal car and I don't mind use it for business purpose at all. I just wanted to ask politely for an advise whether if that's a good idea or not.

I normally pay for my petrol and all cost all the time as I've been alwayas self - employed so I appreciate any kind of money back from company towards covering the cost.

Would someone please help me and tell me what would be ideal for my position

Many thanx!!!!!!!!

Marcel.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - Falkirk Bairn

£300 is taxable+NI = 33\%

Find out the mileage rates

Then come back

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - 72 dudes

The car/car allowance plus your salary puts you into the 40% tax bracket, so your car allowance of £300 per month equates to just £180 per month (no NI is payable on car allowance) which is pretty poor to be honest. When I drove company cars, our allowance was c £450 IIRC. At the time it made more financial sense to go down the company car route, but things have changed.

On the other hand, if you were already going for a 335i, getting anything back will be a bonus.

The mileage rate should be 45p per mile for business miles only from your company, but you will be asked to keep detailed records of private vs. business miles.

It's unlikely a 335i or even a 320d would be on your company car list, so in your circumstances, the allowance may be OK, despite it being low.

P.S. The 3 series coupe is about to be replaced by the 4 series, so try and get a good deal

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - oldtoffee

£300 a month is pretty cheapskate. I guess the company car choice is Hyundai i10, Kia Picanto, used Ford Fiesta, Dacia Sandero to match that level of funding? I get £750 a month and that with business mileage pays about half the total running costs of a £25k Hyundai Santa Fe with no service costs (prepaid) Depreciation is your biggest cost and if you're going to be doing a lot of business miles that will hurt the value of your car. i suppose if you were going to buy one then whatever you get from the company is a bonus but it is still a bit mean. Very nice car btw, says you're earning a good packet, know a bit about cars and can afford a top quality one. That may or may not be the impression you want to make away from the office.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - Bladerrw

By my calculations (happy to be corrected if wrong):

Car allowance only just puts OP into 40% bracket (by about £150) and NI of 2% would be payable on the allowance.

So worth approx £231.50 pm take home.

You need to compare this to the tax you would pay on a company car and see if the difference finances the car you want. Bear in mind business mileage would be paid at probably 45ppm on your private car and about 15ppm on a company car. Factor in maintenance, insurance. depreciation etc if going private.

Tax on a petrol 335 would be fairly meaty but as discussed above I doubt that's what's on offer if the CA is £300pm

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - Bladerrw
Correction to above. Take home per month would be £203 approx.
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - Rochdale Pioneers

£750 a month is good! I get £420 which isn't a lot (I just hired a new grad and she gets the same), but I negotiated my basic salary up instead of my car allowance - 8% company contribution in our scheme makes extra basic worth more than extra car allowance.

And having had an F10 520d the "look at what I'm driving"effect soon wears off - give me the cash over sw*** any day.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - bazza

I get £750 a month and that with business mileage pays about half the total running costs of a £25k Hyundai Santa Fe with no service costs (prepaid) ...

How the heck does that work out? !!! You're saying that £750 month is only half the cost? That's one expensive mode of transport!

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Car Allowance - Falkirk Bairn

>>The car/car allowance plus your salary puts you into the 40% tax bracket, so your car >>allowance of £300 per month

I think not

40% rate is payable after taxable income is around £40K.....The annual Personal Allowance + Pension contributions mean you typically have to earn at least £50K+ to pay 40%