Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - abradders

AC failed on my wife's Honda CRV back in late March and as it was due a service in April I waited until then to have it looked at. Dealer said it was a relay which was duly replaced for £23 and dealer said AC was working fine – didn't check it unfortunately.

When driving to Cornwall in early July in sweltering hot weather, switched on AC and it was blowing hot air. Took it back to dealer who said that now the AC Compressor had failed. Cost to replace £1,750!!

As my wife's car is six years and three months old with just 58,000 on the clock, Honda UK have agreed a 'good will' gesture to reduce the bill to £900. The date the extended warranty ran out on the car = 25/04/2013. Date of service when relay was replaced = 22/04/2013 – just three days before. Well how convenient?

On doing some reaserch online, AC faults appear to be a bugbear for Honda CRVs going way back when and it transpires that Honda extended the warranty worldwide, on this part to six years or 100,000 miles as there were known issues with all CRVs built between 2007 and 2011. In fact in Canada it was extended to 7 years and 100,000 miles.

So if anyone has a CRV built between 2007 and 2011 with any AC issues with it blowing hot air, please be aware that Honda have extended the warranty on the AC compressor to "3+3 or 100,000 miles' otherwise you are £900 out of pocket!!

Oh and don't expect a letter from Honda UK to say they have extended the warranty, you only get that in the US and Canada.

Sorry for the rant!

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - brum

This cant possibly be true, a recent survey says Hondas are the most reliable cars in the world! ;)

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - madf

This cant possibly be true, a recent survey says Hondas are the most reliable cars in the world! ;)

You obviously don't read what the report said...

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - elekie&a/c doctor

At this mileage Honda should be doing this for free.This is a well known problem on this model and is caused by build up of corrosion on the a/c compressor clutch hub,so the clutch cannot engage properly.There is a re-work on the compressor for this fault,and does not require a complete new unit.You will probably find that the dealer keeps the parts in stock.The relay failure is also a known issue that affects most Honda models of this era.hth.

That's very interesting as both dealer and Honda UK say it needs the whole unit replacing? But then they would, wouldn't they. I guarantee that had it been in warranty they would only be changing the part you mention!
Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - vbcarville

Have had an ongoing dialogue with Honda about the year they discovered the fault with the a/c in CRV's in the UK. They flatly refuse to tell me. Could it be because production continued without change even though this problem existed.

Ha ha. Yes I read that too. Just rubs a little more salt into the wound really.
Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - Ethan Edwards

I believe you should run your A/c at least weekly for a few minutes. Which would be likely to prevent corrosion build up and keep everything lubricated /seals wet etc.

The OP post sounds like he only runs it maybe once a year on the hottest day. Certainly an unpleasant discovery but you could have found this out much earlier. What does the CRV manual say about running the A/c?

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - Avant

Ever since I've had cars with AC - the first was a Renault Safrane in 1994 - I've left it on all year, and never had a problem on any of the cars. That Safrane did over 120,000 miles (and had no problems with anything else either).

That doesn't answer your question, Abradders, but leaving it on permanently might be a suggestion for the future. There might possibly be a fuel consumption penalty on a smaller car, but I've always found that to be negligible on mine.

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - idle_chatterer

Ever since I've had cars with AC - the first was a Renault Safrane in 1994 - I've left it on all year, and never had a problem on any of the cars. That Safrane did over 120,000 miles (and had no problems with anything else either).

That doesn't answer your question, Abradders, but leaving it on permanently might be a suggestion for the future. There might possibly be a fuel consumption penalty on a smaller car, but I've always found that to be negligible on mine.

It amazes me how many people just turn the AC on occasionally, the only time I ever switch it off is when temperatures are hovering around 4C and so it cuts in and out. I doubt that the fuel economy costs come anywhere near the cost of rectifying a compressor with dried seals or whatever else ?

Am I alone in detecting an 'entitlement' culture in car owners these days? Whilst there is justifyable consumer law regarding fitness for purpose and associated longevity, at what point is the original manufacturer no longer liable even as goodwill ? My point being that a purchaser may never have had any contract with the manufacturer i.e. the manufacturer or their agent may never have received any of your money e.g. if you bought second hand.

The OP may have a case in this instance, especially if the extended warranty was Honda's, but (hypothetically and in other circumstances) - 6 years old and with no money to the orginal manufacturer or their agent ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 12/09/2013 at 03:07

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - Pondlife

I've got the same issue on a 2007 MY CRV.

A google for "service bulletin 12-072" givee a lot of information, although I can't see a copy of the service bulletin itself anywhere.

I had a diagnosis at a Honda garage, who quoted £loads, but I didn't get it done. After some googling and finding the above service bulletin talk, I spoke to Honda UK who will "open a case" and see if they can do anything.

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - mum2atoddler

My AC failed on my 58 reg CRV, i thought it was the dreaded Compressor issue. My neighbour owns his own garage and also is a mechanic. He looked into the AC as he said some Japanese cars turn off to protect themselves when the gas gets to low, infact mine was the opposite it had been over filled. I have now got a fully functioning AC system that only cost me the diesel to his garage.

On a different note my car had full Honda service history, we changed the air filter and it was disgusting. Obviously hasn't been touched for a couple of years if ever!

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - Scpuse

The AC on my 57 CTDI packed up in May this year and I was quoted £700+ by the Honda dealership for it to be repaired. As I only use the car occassionally I declined and it's only recently that I've discovered that this is a common problem and that there is exetnded warranty. When I queried this with the dealewrship they firstly denied that there was any such warranty extension ( they told me it applied to the Civic only until I told them I wasn't stupid and new what kind of car I had been driving for the last 6 yeras). Eventually they conceded that there was a warranty extension but it applied to petrol engined CRV's only and did not apply to diesel engined. Anybody else come across this excuse ?

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - C_E
I was given the news I needed a new compressor on my 2008 diesel and told the bulletin only applied to petrol models :-(
Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - KBL

This is very interesting, thanks.

I just hope that the same 3+3 and 100k applies to Ireland as I have lived over here the last 13 years.

Bought an 07 CRV 3 years ago only for the AC unit to start pumping out warm air a couple of weeks ago. 78k on the clock.

Will now ring Honda tomorrow armed with this info and see were we go.

Anything offical on the Honda site about it?

Thanks again,

K

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - KBL

No luck with my usual Honda dealer as he says it's over the extended warranty period.

More investigation required I think.

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - John Doe 786

Is this recall true or valid - did anyone actually have it done?

Local Honda said there is no such recall and stop reading forums......

really annoyed me ---

Going to try the relay and hope it works --- just not getting very cold --

any help please?>

Honda CRV EX - Honda CRV AC Compressor issues - elekie&a/c doctor
It was never a recall . High volume of compressor failures made Honda offer a sympathetic repair (usually no cost) to most cases , based on age and mileage.