New Estate Tow Car - Clear Spot
My Omega 3.0 Elite Estate has just been rear ended, no-one hurt but its looking like an 'uneconomical to repair' situation. So its down to getting a replacement car pdq - before they take the rental car off me. Fortunately I took out Gap insurance so I should be o.k. financially.
My constraints are got to be auto, got to be estate and got to tow a 1500 kilo caravan comfortably long distance.
Apart from another Omega I am looking at late models V70 or Saab 9-5 Estate. I have a few concerns regarding towing with these.
1 - The V70 is fairly well documented as a decent two car, but anyone experience of towng with the V70 diesel auto.
2 - The Saab is an unknown quantity as a tow car - so any feedback would be useful. I have seen a 2.3 lpt estate which seems a good compromise.
Thanks
(p.s I don't really want to get into the 'wouldn't be seen dead in a Volvo debate')
New Estate Tow Car - terryb
Clearspot

I've no experience with either of these two choices but I do tow a similar weight caravan myself for long hauls through France and shorter local tows for rallies etc.

I'd have thought with an estate (ie comparatively long rear overhang) that self-levelling suspension would be an asset. What's your noseweight?

Previous XMs were excellent with self-levelling. Currently use a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is superb, but I understand the image when not towing might put some people off! All have been auto and diesel - a perfect towing combination IMHO. Since I'm collecting a new caravan in a couple of weeks with a 120 Kg nose weight limit it'll need the Jeep's 140Kg noseweight ability anyway.

Glad to hear no-one was hurt but what a bind. I thought towbars were supposed to deter tailgaters!

Terry
Terry,

I run at about 75K noseweight the max for the Omega, but would prefer to run at 100k the max for the caravan - the Omega had self levelling suspension, but didn't seem to sink much with that nose weight anyway (I think it took a couple of miles to level out.)
Clear Spot

My previous attempt to reply seems to be lost in the ether, so I'll try again.

Would a flick through a towcar guide looking for options with a 100 Kg noseweight ability be a good idea? I don't know if you're thinking new or used, but I think I've got a 1999 edition towcar guide somewhere if it would be of interest?

Terry
Clear Spot

Would a flick through a towcar guide looking for options with a 100 Kg noseweight ability be a good idea? I don't know if you're thinking new or used, but I think I've got a 1999 edition towcar guide somewhere if it would be of interest?

Terry
Clear Spot

Terry
Oops! 3 times now!
Terry

Thanks for the offer,Terry, but I've pretty much settled on a V70 which I have found out is 75kilos (from perusing the handbook).
BTW this seems to be pretty standard for most large cars these days. There are exceptions, e.g. Rover 75 tourer at 100k, but I dont want one of those.
This noseweight thing is intersting, the Caravan Club recommend 7% of gross weight, which for my van would equal 105k. My caravan is by no means the heaviest in the Swift group's range, and all their vans including the big twin axles have a max of 100kilos (I think). So 75 kilos is a bit light, but I have had no stability problems whatsover with the Omega, however, running at 100 kilos with a Ford Explorer was a ........ but thats another story.
I have heard that static noseweight is pretty academic anyway, as it varies dynamically on the move due to aerodynamic and road forces, e.g. passing an HGV bow wave.

Clearspot

Yes, 75 does seem the norm, but I've always had trouble getting down to this, especially with 2 gas bottles up front! Hence my history of big Citroens and now the Jeep!

My current van is a Sterling Eccles Onyx, as you say nominally 100Kg, 94kg using CC guideline. About to change to Bailey Senator Oklahoma who don't seem to publish a noseweight but 7% gives 101 Kg. given that the battery and water heater are further back on this model, even with 2 gas bottles this should be simple to achieve and still keep in balance.

In fact, off on a rally this weekend as the Onyx's swan song - just the weather for it!!

Happy towing!

Terry
PS Yes, I agree this is to an extent academic. A couple of years ago, passing a long string of trucks on a French autoroute I run out of uphill grade and took the last at about 80 (still legal over there of course, if a mite foolhardy!). The nearest I've had (and am likely to have - lesson learned!) to a serious snake. Thank goodness for stabilisers, cool-headed wife and clean underpants!
T
New Estate Tow Car - Crombster
Cant offer any advice on towcars, but i have just changed from a V6 Omega to the V70's saloon based sibling the S60 which I can thoroughly recommend.

I'm sure you would be happy with the Volvo!

New Estate Tow Car - Stargazer {P}
Just a thought....had you checked the Subaru Legacy, the 2.5 or 3.0
engines have sufficient towing capacity and some have self levelling suspension. Similar length to a V70. The AWD can be a real advantage....good handling and very even tyre wear on all wheels.

Never towed with one but I would recommend them for handling and ride quality alone. May be more expensive to insure.

Ian L.
New Estate Tow Car - DGW
A 120 kg noseweight must rule out most cars. What is the recommended as opposed to maximum noseweight?
New Estate Tow Car - Mondaywoe
Hi

Have you considered a Citroen C5 Estate - preferably 2.2 HDI?
I'm not certain that the auto version is entirely gremlin free - there have been a few owners experiencing jerky autoboxes (possibly updated now, mind you.)but otherwise they are pretty sound.

I have the 2.2 hatchback (manual box) - great for towing!

Citroens have good cashback offers - but of course, heavy depreciation if you don't keep for a while.

Maybe worth a test drive to see what you think?

Graeme

Graeme
According to Citroen, the auto 2.2 has a towing limit of 1000 kilos - so not suitable, (I think the towing limit refers to the ability to restart on a 1 in someting gradient). I nearly fell inot this trap once before with a Renault Safrane turbo diesel auto which had a towing limit of 700 kilos!)
New Estate Tow Car - Mondaywoe
Oh - sorry if I put you on a wild goose chase!

I only use my one for towing a trailer and of course it's manual.

Hope you find something that does the job, though. Do let's know what you decide on.

Would a Skoda be any good? I think in another thread someone mentions the V6 is 'Tow Car of the Year'. Don't know if they do auto of course or what sort of weight it would deal with. Just a thought!

Graeme