Which 7 Seater? - DirkThrust

So with the imminent arrival of Thrust No 3 and transporting my elderly mother around as well we need to get a 7 seater.

The one I'm looking at is the Renault Grand Scenic. There's a lot of them around and the reviews and reliability record seem good, but with a question mark over the usual French electrical gremlins. They seem to be very competitively priced compared to Fords etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts about these?

Unfortunately my wife only has an auto license so it needs to be a petrol auto which limits us somewhat.

If I'm talked out of the Renault then I'll be looking at the Ford Galaxy/S-Max/Grand C-Max or the Mazda Takara which seem to be the only alternatives in my price range

Budget is about £8000 but I could stretch to £10000 if necessary

Which 7 Seater? - daveyK_UK

Personally,

go for a Berlingo Multispace or Partner Tepee (essentially the same vehicle) in 7 seater mode.

You can achieve as high as 50mpg with the 1.6 diesel, are very cheap to service, easy to work on, cheap to insure.

And for a french vehicle there one of the most reliable (if such a thing is true).

There is also a 7 seater version of the latest Fiat Doblo but I've yet come across one on the used market.

They are up right and excellent for elderly people, partial disabled people or tall people to get in and out off with wide openings.

I missed the petrol auto bit.

If thats the case, then go for a toyota verso

I dont think they do petrol auto's in the latest Berlingo Multispace, Partner Tepee or Doblo.

Which 7 Seater? - DirkThrust

I had looked at the Verso but didn't realise it was a 7 seater.

So a Verso within my budget will be a couple of years older than a Scenic due to the horrendous residuals of the Renault. I guess Toyota's legendary reliability will mean it's still a better bet than the Scenic.

Im guessing for £10,000 the verso will be 2 - 5 years old?

Where the equivelent Scenic 1 - 2 years old?

Which 7 Seater? - Sulphur Man

Yourself, wife, three children and mother = 6. So a Honda FR-V petrol auto can be had for £10000, possibly even a late 08/58/09 registered 1.8 auto.

Advantages,

6 full size independent seats without eating into boot space, (not 2 front seats, a rear bench, and two folding mini-seats taking up most of the boot)

Can take three Type 1/Type 2 child seats across the rear, with access allowing one to 'walk through' the car fastening safety belts.

Shorter than a BMW 3-series, narrower than a C-Max, more boot space than a Golf - so great to manoeuvre and easy to park.

The petrol auto (5-spd torque convertor) is suprisingly economical on longer journeys, thanks to a high top gear. Expect 35-38mpg on a longer run.

The interior in ours is standing up to family abuse well.

Disadvantages,

Not a looker

They're getting scarce now, as owners are holding onto them (like us), and their used car reputation for practicality and reliability is growing.

And thats about it.

Honda UK must wonder what they did wrong in trying to crack the UK MPV market. They released three terrific MPVs ino the UK market and all three failed to catch on.

1) Honda Shuttle - super-comfortable Galaxy size MPV with slick petrol/auto combination and supreme reliabilty

2) Honda Stream - the first performance MPV, years before the S-Max and Zafira VXR.

3) Honda FR-V - see above.

I dont blame Honda for deleting an MPV from their UK line up. We simply dont know a good thing when we see one, and instead lap up compromised crossovers & SUVs.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 29/07/2013 at 13:37

Its simple why they didnt catch on, price.

They where to expensive new.

When everyone else was providing realistic discounts, Honda went expensive.

Which 7 Seater? - Happy Blue!

I have owned and driven a Ford S-Max TDCi automatic for three years and about 30,000 miles. With lots of urban driving it does 34 mpg and can cruise at 85mph without difficulty.

Supremely comfortable, nice ride, lots of space and great to drive.

Whilst there are stories of unreliability, my car has been virtualy faultless and I would not hesitate to buy another.

PS do not buy the 2.3 petrol automatic - it is a dog.