SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - weezle
Hi I'm new to this forum, but looks like you have a lot of good helpful followers, so here goes

You have probably answered this before but I can't find the answer !

How reliable are secondhand seat 1.9 TDI Ibiza diesel the one I'm looking at is a 52 with 122.000 miles on the clock, what do I need to look for on it for poss problems and a rough price guide would help the body work is in good order

Thanks all
SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - thunderbird

Like with any 11 year old car with 122,000 miles on it you may get a good one or an absolute money pit.

Its a total lottery with any car of that age and mileage.

SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - Big John

The 1.9tdi (presuming it is PD) is one of the best VAG engines capable of 200,000 miles+ if looked after. Judge the rest of the car on condition.

SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - corax

They will have needed PD specific oil throughout their life. Make sure the service history adds up. Engines are rough by todays standards but really torquey, and go well in the small Seat body. Downside will be more noise and vibration than in something like a Passat or Superb. They cruise very well for a small car.

Ibiza's like many VAG cars can suffer from water leaks from the doors, but this is well documented on the internet and can be cured.

SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - BenG

I bought an older Seat diesel - Leon Mk 1 - when it was 7 years old and so far it has cost me thousands in repairs and replacements. The list of faults so far includes:

i) Alternator clutch pulley failed

ii) Clutch slipping (OK, a consumable)

iii) Peeling lacquer / paint on all 4 wheels

iv) Passenger door locking module failed - door remained locked.

v) Coolant gauge intermittently drops to zero. Coolant temp. sensor replaced to no avail.

vi) Various leaking pressure pipes between turbo and engine.

vii) Failed indicator bulb

viii) Water leaking through front door panel into footwell.

ix) Paint badly faded and laquer peeling on various body panels.

x) Smoking for few seconds on start-up. Possible valve stem / injector seal leakage.

In summary, check for:

- Leaks at pressure pipework unions between the turbo and engine. The joints are well-known for leaking and the pipes are expensive (£60+ for each section).

- Water leaks into the car through door panels. The inner metal door panels are sealed against the outers by foam, which breaks down and leaks. Best checked when the car has been in the rain.

- Cambelt - Check it has been done and the water pump has been changed at the same time to the later type with metal, not plastic, impeller.

- Check condition on paint on wheels.

- Don't buy a yellow one. Paint is well known for fading badly!

- Check for smoke on start-up (cold start only)

Or just buy a Skoda, as they seem to be more reliable than Seats!

SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - Bycro
Hi Weezle,

The Seat TDI engines are extremely reliable, providing they have been serviced regularly. A full service history should tell you a lot , providing the service manual is up to date and it has all the relevant stamps the mileage you mention should not be a problem.

My current car, Seat Exeo TDI has just recorded 103,000 miles at 41 months old. It runs like new and has a FMDSH. It has never let me down.

Good luck.

SEAT Ibiza II 1.9 TDI diesel - Secondhand car - weezle

Thank you every one for your help. I had a local garage look at it for me as there was no service history with it.

the stearing pump was on its way out and elc problems looks like a mouse has had a good chew on it , so have walked away from it , shame nice car, oh well will keep looking

thanks for your help