Audi Allroad - charging fault - bodace5

Hi all. Having issues with the battery charging. When I turn ignition on the battery light doesn't illuminate and when the engines running the battery gauge stays at 12 volts but when you rev it a couple of times the gauge goes up and it starts to charge. Any ideas?

Audi Allroad - charging fault - jc2

I've had this in the past with Bosch equipment but my car ran faultlessly otherwise so I never bothered to do anything about it.

Audi Allroad - charging fault - Peter D

Goes up to what. If you stall the car does the light come on. You may have a regulator problem. Regards Peter

Goes up to 14v. Forgot to mention I changed the alternator about 2 months ago because it wasnt charging and the battery light was on. Just gone out to the car and batteries flat. Jumped it off but its not charging at all now but the amber battery symbol on the centre display has come on?

Audi Allroad - charging fault - Peter D

Sounds like a diode or diodes have failed and flattened the battery or the regulator has failed and left current passinf through the field windings. I assume the alternator is under warrantee. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 28/07/2013 at 11:21

Would this cause the battery light not to work at all? Im thinking the clocks are faulty. Ive found that on older vehicles if the battery light bulb blows it stops the alternator from charging?

Audi Allroad - charging fault - elekie&a/c doctor
I would check the small wire attached to the alternator,usually blue colour.I have seen this wire break/corrode near the alternator and chassis.This will stop the warning light operating correctly.hth
Audi Allroad - charging fault - Peter.N.

I would agree, the alternator normally gets its exciter current via the charge light, if its not on a bad connection is probable.

Audi Allroad - charging fault - TeeCee

This takes me back. I once aquired a car through family connections that I knew the full history of, including that it would occasionally drop dead with a flat battery with no prior indication that there was anything wrong. It had been in and out of garages many times looking for that fault.

One day, it did it to me and I decided to change the alternator's electronics and brush pack[1] as a matter of course. On going to remove the old pack, I found that the spade connector from the pack to the windings came off rather easily. On closer inspection it became obvious that the terminal had been between the spade connector and its plastic sheath rather than correctly plugged into the connector, it had always been so and that it had almost certainly come out of the factory like that.

Iffy charging? Check the connections to the electronics first!

[1] All in one on that unit, held on the end with two setscrews. Very clever, very simple, very cheap, very easy to change. I've been mystified ever since as to why they're not all like that.

Found the prolem. Took undertray off, had a play with the two blue wires and the plug they go to on the back of the alternator and everythings started working again even the battery light on the clocks. Just need to replace the knackered o/s/f suspension bag now which is £700 from audi! Think im off to the scrap yard. Thanks for the help

Audi Allroad - charging fault - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you will struggle to find a good s/hand air bag for the strut.These are a big weak point on this model.Take a look here.www.arnottindustries.
Audi Allroad - charging fault - jottpens

The problem with an automotive journalist loving his personal car is that he inevitably . All the traditional Audi strengths of quality and comfort are present in the Allroad .

Parker Pens

Edited by jottpens on 30/07/2013 at 09:52