New car for my wife - MokkaMan

I am trying to pin down a new car for my wife. Must be a small crossover with 4WD (lot of snow up here), diesel, low Co2, high MPG and (this is the hard part) automatic. Cost to be under £20k. We also will live up quite a steep hill so will need a reasonable amount of power

Fiat 500L Duologic Trekker (she really likes this but I wonder if it may be a little underpowered).

New Suxuki SX4 (definite option)

Both Mini Countryman SD ALL4 and Skoda Yeti 140 SE 4x4 are too expensive

Can anyone think of anything else.

New car for my wife - thunderbird

I am trying to pin down a new car for my wife.

Sure someone will be prepared to trade depending on her condition

New car for my wife - Falkirk Bairn

Yesterday (now gone in the 24hrs) Motorpoint had 2 x CRV Del miles for £20,600 SE+Manual / Diesels.........but alas both gone.

Did they have an auto version?

New car for my wife - oldtoffee
If you end up looking closely at the Fiat I strongly recommend you test drive one for a decent length of time with the dualogic auto. We foolishly didn't as we swapped a manual for auto as my wife's back condition worsened and although she likes the car she wouldn't have another because of the auto which is IMO rubbish. To get anything like an acceptable drive you need to switch to Sport to get a different remap otherwise in Normal you'll be floundering in the wrong gear and struggling to get out at junctions and causing mayhem entering roundabouts. In Sport you get the opposite, a rush of power and the box holds on to the lower gear for way too long after you have eased off the throttle. Makes driving smoothly very very difficult especially on snow. The Fiat dealer has looked at it and all the software is bang up to date so "they all drive like that" was their conclusion.
New car for my wife - Happy Blue!

Do you need 4x4? Will a 2wd automatic crossover with decent winter tyres work?

I am sure that there are 4x4 diesel automatic varieties of the Hyundai i35 and Kia Sportage as well. You may find what you want in the second hand lots rather than brand new.

TBH, with the steepness of the hill we live on and weather conditions, I would want 4x4 and winter tyres (this is what I will put on my Mokka when I get it.

There are plenty of crossovers available for the money (i had a look at the Nissan Juke auto 4x4 online yesetrday) but that seems almost a hot/warm hatch.

I got slightly put off the second hand market recently - I was originally looking at a 2nd hand Yeti for myself but I think dealers are inflating the prices - 2 year old cars at £18-£20k

New car for my wife - oldtoffee

>>>>I got slightly put off the second hand market recently - I was originally looking at a 2nd hand Yeti for myself but I think dealers are inflating the prices - 2 year old cars at £18-£20k

Has always been that way, new sales targets aside, they make loads more money out of second hand cars than new . Check out Motorpoint and Car Giant for 2 to 3 year old cars at more sensible prices.

I like the Yeti but I think I'd prefer a new Duster and £5k in the bank over a 2 year old Yeti.

New car for my wife - James Brown
I ADORE these & LOVE their own special ones, might just have to steal that idea!!!
New car for my wife - Avant

Eh?

What comment are you replying to, James?

New car for my wife - hillman

Thunderbird, you are dicing with death !!

One of my in-laws bought a car very cheaply from a husband who bought the car for his wife in the wrong shade of blue. She made his life miserable until he could afford to replace it. Be careful of that !