BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - J03y

I'm in a bit of a pickle here in deciding what car I should get next. And as you could probably tell it's between the 118d and the Golf 140 Diesel.
So what I'm hoping for is for people to tell me what your experiences/opions are of each car. Any issues that you've encountered with them or are aware of.

I'm going to test drive them both in the weekday of next week to see what I think of the drive.

Both cars are Diesel, have less than or equal 40k miles and are 57 plates.

And I have already looked at the section of this site that has the pros and cons.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - Avant

My last-but-one car was a Golf estate TDI 140. I liked it a lot and it gave no trouble whatsoever - BUT I had it from new. A 2007/08 car will I think have the PD engine as my 07-registered car did, and there have been well-documented injector problems with these engines at high mileages, I think when fitted with Siemens injectors.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here - and possibly may know how you can tell what sort of injectors a car is fitted with.

If this can't be resolved, the 118d may be a better bet. Does your annual mileage make a diesel worthwhile?

Yeah I read about the injectors on this site. But I think they did a recall in 2012? I've heard nothing but good stuff about golfs though. And when I asked my friend who happens to be a mechanic and was a mechanic for BMW for 10 years he advised I got a golf too. It's such a hard decision because I don't want to get screwed on this car like I did on my last one (Vauxhall Corsa C).
I think it's going to have to come down to a test drive and I'll figure out which one I like the most.
And I do 15k per-annum.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - oldtoffee
If it was me, I'd look at petrol versions of those cars as 15k miles a year isn't a definite for diesel. A Golf GTi with the 2.0 TFSi and the BMW 120i would be better cars but only IMO. I wouldn't assume all the injector problems on the VW units have been or will be sorted and the flaky turbos on many of the 2.0 variants of the BMW diesel engines get a lot of press. Not worth the financial risk IMO when the petrol engines go better and both give good economy. Either way the BMW for me if you don't need the rear seat space.
BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - gordonbennet

I agree with Oldtoffee, i wouldn't be buying into the ticking time bomb Diesel of either cars scenario either at 15k per year, i haven't and wouldn't own either car so i can't answer the OP's question directly.

BMW will not endear itself in the snow and ice unless shod suitably, but neither will the FWD car if its on equivalent sized elastic band tyres, so if all year round ability is an absolute necessity and you get bad weather in your area factor in tyre costs too...in fact check the sizes and condition of those fitted when you test drive (BMW will probably be runflats) and look them up, might be an eye opener.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - iFocus

I personally think 15k a year is more than enough to warrant a diesel! When buying used cars I think its a myth that you have to do a certain mileage.

I do about 15k and love the fact I have diesel, it does 55+ mpg and 60+ on a long run. My old 1.4TSi could barely get late 30s! I was at the petrol station every week with that!

Also with regards to the OPs choices both cars have their issues and people will have had experiences on both and the nature of the internet and this site, more will have had issues or seen people experiencing issues.

As you've read, both cars have their faults. Like the 1 Series will have the either the M47 diesel with the self destructing swirl flaps or the N47 engine with a camchain made of cheese.

The VW doesn't fare much better with its injector issues. Your best bet and this is just my opinion is to look out for a late 1.9 TDi Golf, they only have 105bhp but shed loads of torque and have none of the issues of the 2ltr, they're far more reliable too.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - Happy Blue!

I would go for the Golf. We have a 118d on loan at the moment. It is too low and the interior is very low rent. You spend a lot of time in a car and the cabin environment is as important as the engine performance, ride quality and practicality. The Golf also has much more interior space .

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - oldgit

I have only ever test driven a Series 1 when it first came out and was appalled by the cramped space around the driver's footwell and I think that the pedal were offset as well. In all other respects i wasn't impressed by this car at all. Oh, and that dreadful seat height adjustment where you have to levitate yourself to make it work - Ugghh.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - skidpan

Had a 118D for 5 enjoyable years and 37000 miles. I have documented it elsewhere but it saved me a fortune over the petrol version even though my mileage was well below the figures often quoted on this site.

Over the period I calculate I saved £1600 in fuel plus probably another £400 in RFL over the 118i was considering as an alternative. The car cost me £300 more than the 118i when I bought it and according to Parkers was worth £600 more when i sold it. That is a £2300 over the 5 years.

The 118i was dreadful to drive, no torque whatsoever.

>>>>I personally think 15k a year is more than enough to warrant a diesel! When buying used cars I think its a myth that you have to do a certain mileage.

Well man maths can be made to show anything is the right choice and long may it continue! Sure diesel will save you money on fuel and VED but the car will cost a bit more in the first place. Yes you get some of that back at resale so that sort of cancels out the extra cash at purchase. So a couple of hundred pounds a year saving on fuel is good but a large bill of £1k will wipe out those savings and there's plenty of evidence of these big bills hitting used diesel cars. Buying a diesel with 40k miles means you might look to take it to 100k which is IMO a risk especially as you don't know how its been treated for the first 40k. Right oil used? Engine simmered after a long run to lubricate the hot turbo? Misfuelled and drained? Remapped? DPF going to last? Clutch and DMF treated sympathetically?

We have an 8 year old Passat 1.9PD auto, 70k miles owned from 6 months old. Its been properly serviced on time at 10k or annual intervals with 5k interim oil and filter changes (overkill? probably) The turbo has started leaking oil and will need replacing in the next 10k miles or a year maybe a bit more according to our independent. £1200 for a recon unit inc labour and VAT. We'll pay it because the car is worth it to us and its not long had the belt/pump done and new discs/pads but we didn't budget for it hoping that we'd avoid that problem and a few others by looking after the car properly.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - unthrottled

Engine simmered after a long run to lubricate the hot turbo?

Pretty much a non issue with diesels because they pump cold air through the engine on overrun so you'd need some fairly unlikely circumstances to coke the oil in the bearings.

Misfuelled and drained?

Fair point, but most pumps survive a mishap unless driven to destruction without being drained.

Remapped?

Fair point.

DPF going to last?

The hysteria over DPF is getting silly. Only mimsers have this problem and the problem goes away once yoiu start driving them properly.

Clutch and DMF treated sympathetically?

Same applies to petrol engines.

It's not as is modern petrols aren't without their pitfalls. What are the main and big end bearings going to be looking like after the stop-start feature has done its magic 10,000 times?

Vanos durability?

ageing O2 sensor and catalytic converter efficiency.

Electronic throttle body-expensive replacement

Direct injection durability? bore washing and scored cylinder walls. Coked up inlet manifold.

A turbo diesel outperforms a standard petrol of the same displacement by such a margin it's not even funny. A whistles and bells petrol engine is far more complicated than its diesel equivalent.

BMW 118d or Volkswagen Golf GT 140 - iFocus

To be frank these days the whole debate is ill-founded.

If you do more than 14k and are going for a used car its a none issue and brainless to go for a petrol over a diesel.

Most people forget that you'll likely have issues with the direct injection engines on modern petrols as they're not as proven yet, they have turbos that will go wrong just as much as a diesel variant. They have DMFs too and other things will go wrong too.

I myself had a 1.4TSi Golf that had 3 camchains in 10,000 miles (I was unlucky I know), but the diesel Golf I have now has a cambelt..., also it only did 36mpg combined

So the injectors on the VW are likely to break, but won't I be able to get some sort of good will from Volkswagen since they did a recall on the injectors and the car has a FVWSH?

Haha funny thing is I'm 6"5 so most cars feel pretty cramped to me unless it's a Land Rover. But neither cars really made me feel majorly cramped or claustrophobic.

The car inquestion that I was looking at and will be testing in a few days (Volkswagen) is a 1 owner car with (female) with a FWSH, and was serviced yearly. So the chances of a remap is unlikely but yes could have been done.

I think it's going to be a Golf that I eventually go for, and yes I'm expecting to fork out 1k for the injectors. Anyone recommend buying warranty from the garage I'll be purchasing from? It's not a big garage like Lookers etc.

I absolutely hate garages and most people who deal with cars so I'm a little skeptical about trusting them to follow through with any repairs that'll need doing

>>>won't I be able to get some sort of good will from Volkswagen since they did a recall on the injectors and the car has a FVWSH?

Most likely yes if they haven't been replaced already. Sometimes on goodwill payments they don't offer to pay 100% of the cost but unlikely in the case of the injectors.

>>>the chances of a remap is unlikely

You're right quite unlikely.

>>> Anyone recommend buying warranty from the garage I'll be purchasing from?

Doubt you'll find many people here recommending used car warranties. General advice is to put aside the money you would pay to the warranty company to pay for any repair as the warranty companies use every trick in the book not tp pay up. 2 recent posts on this site with bad experiences (BMWs but same principle) and one company was the market leader.

>>>I absolutely hate garages and most people who deal with cars so I'm a little skeptical about trusting them to follow through with any repairs that'll need doing

Wise attitude to have. Find a good local VW independent with lost of recommendations on the VW forums and have them look after your car.

Well that's good to hear then. Not having to pay the 1k I was expecting to have to pay :)
Okay I'll avoid the used car warranties like a plague, but if I can get it on the side then it's better than nothing.
Thanks :) I've always had crappy experiences with garages. I can't bare the lying to your face. It's a good job I have a friend who replaces parts practically at slave labour.