How to mount a sat nav? - johnnyrev
Our new car is sadly without sat nav (£650 option or an app for the iPhone? Hmmm, let me think!) so I am going to use my iPhone as a sat nav on the few occasions when it is needed.

But I am having trouble finding a solution to mounting the phone. I don't want to have a suction mount on the windscreen as I don't want the mark on the screen alerting anyone to a potential sat nav in the glovebox, plus I don't like having a mark on the windscreen! Also a windscreen mount at the base of the screen means the phone is a distance away for my poor eyes to struggle with!

A dash mount is tricky as although the top of the dash is flat it is slightly textured and suction pads don't like it. I have also tried a small bracket slotting into the air vent but it isn't very secure.

Sorry this is a very dull thread! But hopefully someone has an answer (that doesn't involve super glue or blu-tac!).
How to mount a sat nav? - gordonbennet

Try one of these, they really work, won't mark the dash or anything its only a flexible rubber mount but short of rally style manoeuvers it will not move.

tinyurl.com/maq6s3h

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2013 at 21:06

How to mount a sat nav? - oldgit

Or try this firm. I bought one of their secure air vent mounts and my TomTom's suction pad went straight onto the flat surface of the bracket I chose.

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/?gclid=CKbgz8mFrbgCFZIPtAod03IArA

How to mount a sat nav? - galileo

TomTom sell flat discs which stick to the dash securely for you to attach the suction mount to: when not in use I cover this with a folded black microfibre duster.

How to mount a sat nav? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Not many dashboards have sufficiently flat surfaces for a suction mount to adhere well onto a disc. any of these would prove satisfactory tinyurl.com/o3bpg5s

How to mount a sat nav? - NARU

I use a QM magnet. A pair of them even hold my 7" tablet, which makes a fantastic sat nav.

www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/20691.aspx

How to mount a sat nav? - BigJohnD

Brodit. goo.gl/M2s2w

How to mount a sat nav? - Jon182
I have had a Nokia car holder for a number of years and it has been excellent, very good quality. My model is now discontinued latest one is below:

www.nokia.com/gb-en/accessories/accessory/cr-123/
How to mount a sat nav? - jamie745

One of these!!!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271220576772?ssPageName=STRK:ME...9

How to mount a sat nav? - oldgit

One of these!!!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271220576772?ssPageName=STRK:ME...9

Must be joking. I can imagine it bouncing up and down. I did buy a similar bracket that slotted into the car's air vents and that was useless as well.

How to mount a sat nav? - brum
I don't want to have a suction mount on the windscreen as I don't want the mark on the screen alerting anyone to a potential sat nav in the glovebox, plus I don't like having a mark on the windscreen! Also a windscreen mount at the base of the screen means the phone is a distance away for my poor eyes to struggle with!

Do people still break into cars for a £80 sat-nav?

I suggest the cheapest solution is a handy cloth to wipe the suction mark off, and either a larger Sat-Nav / turn the volume up / visit to specsavers.

How to mount a sat nav? - focussed

Ever since having the requirement to mount suction pads in cars for various instruments, phones, sat navs etc in cars I have always made my own mounting pads. Cut a disc out of perspex or polycarbonate (Lexan etc) 3 or 4 mm sheet slightly larger than the suction pad and make sure that the top surface is nice and shiny ie there are no scratches or blemishes. Go to a double glazing company and buy a roll of rubber bedding tape that is used to bed DG units onto wooden window frames. It's really sticky and use it to stick the disc to a flattish part of the dash. My current ones have been in place for nearly 4 years now. When you want to take it off to sell the car it doesn't leave a mark or sticky residue.

How to mount a sat nav? - brum

Go to a double glazing company and buy a roll of rubber bedding tape that is used to bed DG units onto wooden window frames. It's really sticky and use it to stick the disc to a flattish part of the dash. My current ones have been in place for nearly 4 years now. When you want to take it off to sell the car it doesn't leave a mark or sticky residue.

I think you'll only be able to claim that once you try and remove it. Its remarkable what sunlight and much heat can do to adhesives over 4 years.

How to mount a sat nav? - johnnyrev

Thank you for all your ideas! I tried a very cheap mount that slotted into the air vent and it did a reasonable job. It wobbled about a bit and I though it might fall out but it didn't. And the free sat nav app, navfree, was very good and made sure I didn't get lost.

I think I will try one of the many matts that sit on the dash top and hopefully that will be more secure than the air vent bracket. I also have another cheap bracket with a big sucker for the windscreen but it looks very ugly even if it will do the job well. I shall keep it in the car as a last resort!

How to mount a sat nav? - focussed

Go to a double glazing company and buy a roll of rubber bedding tape that is used to bed DG units onto wooden window frames. It's really sticky and use it to stick the disc to a flattish part of the dash. My current ones have been in place for nearly 4 years now. When you want to take it off to sell the car it doesn't leave a mark or sticky residue.

I think you'll only be able to claim that once you try and remove it. Its remarkable what sunlight and much heat can do to adhesives over 4 years.

Already done it several times brum - pulls off when cool and a bit of a scrub with meths followed by armorall does the trick.

Better than the horrible sticky mess that the manufacturers pads leave when they've been in the sun for a year or two.

How to mount a sat nav? - davecooper

Made this solution for my Mazda 2 a while back.

http://www.koolkatz.biz/page7.html

A bit of a limited market though!