BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - MokkaMan

I recently have had an accident in my 2001 BMW 5 Series. Car has shattered headlamp, bonnet slighly bent and scuffed/scratched, wing slightly bent and scuffed/scratched and scuffed bumper. Car is only worth around £1,250 as a trade in on Parkers and I think it will probably be written off.. I had in fact alrady ordered a new car (Vauxhall Mokka due in mid October). I will however be without a car and I drive 35 miles each way to work and back. I am not really enthused about trying to buy the car back from the insurer as when my new car arrives it will be virtually unsaleable and I will have to find a means of getting rid of it.

I am not sure what to do next. Should I buy a banger? rent a car (you can monthly rentals where I am for £13 per day)?

BTW I assume that I should hold onto my VED disc when the insurer takes the car

Views - many thanks

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - Avant

You'd have to tax and insure a banger: if you can do that for the period up to October within the funds from the insurance company and the VED refund, then it could be worth it although there's a risk of repairs being needed. Indeed anything that's cheaper than paying about £1200 for car hire is worth considering.

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - daveyK_UK

Pick up a old (51 plate or earlier) hyundai/kia/toyota/nissan/suzuki/daihatsu/perodua for a few hundred quid.

Run it into the ground and put it on ebay come mid October.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 09/07/2013 at 23:26

Thanks for that. I am going to my own garage on Saturday morning and seeing the insurers mechanic as well then. I have spotted a nice Mk2 Golf on Ebay (my wife and I ran a MK2 Golf GTI until it was 16 years old (fantastic car IMO). I think I would rather have something cheap and characterful rather than a modern box (esp with my very bland Mokka coming along - definitely a head decision rather than a heart one).

The shame about all thi is that the BMW is in good condition with FSH and only 48,000 miles. It is quite stonechipped at the front but the rest of the car is good and the interior is immaculate. I suppose that none of this matters to the insurance company. If Parkers says it is worth £1,250 and the insurance company only budget around 60% of that for repairs, then it will almost certainly be written off

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - brignac

Would it be drivable if you replaced the headlight?

Assuming it would be why not do that and run it until the new car arrives - assuming it still has an MOT for that long.

Just becuase it is written off doesn't meat youy cant still use it

The glass / perspex is broken and cracked (I am holding it together with duct tape) but both the headlight and indicator still work. The bonnet is slightly bent and scuffed. The wing is slightly bent and scuffed and the bumper is scuffed (it was fairly low impact (the airbags did not go off).

I am not keen on buying back - because in three months, I am left with a virtual w/o that is hard to sell (I am based in Inverness and I would have to take time off work and drive a reasonable distance to do this). I would rather take the insurance money and buy something I could sell more easily.

Mot is until May 14. Vehicle had inspection 2 service in April 13

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - colino

You have my sympathies, the e39 is still a fabulous car, but one 10+ years old is book valued at 1k or less, never mind the accident damage. It's a shame your not keen, as the repair sounds like a real quick spanner job on a Saturday morning. Alternatively, they break (no pun intended) for silly money and parts are still in high demand.

Edited by colino on 11/07/2013 at 21:21

Just got confirmation that my car will be repaired (apparently at the cost of £1,100) - think I have been vey lucky!!

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - gordonbennet

Congratulations would have been a shame to see such a decent car scrapped.

If it were mine i'd be appraising its condition underneath if as good as expected given its meagre mileage i'd first cancel the Mokka, then get the BM LPG'd, then pro rustproofed, then enjoy really cheap comfortable depreciation proof motoring for the next ten years in luxury with the pleasure of a real engine.

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - Andrew-T

Just got confirmation that my car will be repaired (apparently at the cost of £1,100) - think I have been vey lucky!!

And presumably if the repair was a non-insurance job it would be cheaper? And your claim rating would be unaffected?

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/07/2013 at 23:01

I am not sure. I last had an accident when I was 24 (I am nearly 51 now), so I would hope the insurance company view this as a slighly isolated incident.

I will be genuinely sorry to see the BMW go as I have owned it from new and really enjoyed it but it is a 530iSE Auto Touring, does 23mpg (if you are lucky), is insurance group 34 and road tax £280. But for all that a great car and still comfortable today and steering and acceleration all feel really good,

The Mokka 1.7 Techline 4x4 does 58mpg, has 4x4 (which I need in my part of Scotland), is insurance group 12 and road tax £0 in first year and £105 thereafter. It also has a 100,000 warranty and a lot of kit (incl standard bluetooth and satnav)

I am very unexcited about the Mokka (in fact I bought it without a test drive although I did sit in it and it is quite roomy and probably better value than a Yeti). I now commute 70-80 miles a day and the petrol cost of the BMW is a killer - so a head decision not a heart one.

BMW 5 Series E39 - insurance write off - Andrew-T

As your insurers are paying, I would only suggest that you exercise the option of choosing your preferred repairer rather than theirs, which you might find more convenient - and may also know better by reputation.

That done, I suppose you will sell the BMW to save on running cost which looks like being about £45/week instead of £100 (I am assuming 58mpg may be optimistic). That would be the correct green decision. If the decision is made by an accountant, how long would that take to recoup the purchase of the Mokka? And depreciation?

The insurers have picked their own repairer and I get a courtesy car for the period of repair. I also have Excess insurance and will recover that.

Yes it was an accounting decision not particularly a green one (although the two go together now). I am often paying about £100 per week on petrol (and this is far too much). That is not the only cost - I just had an inspection 2 service (£450 at an independent garage) and road tax is £280 and insurance obviously at Group 34 is high. So servicing for the Mokka will be cheaper, road tax will be cheaper and I will be paying for group 12 insurance.

I was recently on the Mokka Owners Club website and a lot of them seem to be getting 50's mpg and 600 miles on a tank (music to my ears).

The main comfort though is this 100,000 mile warranty - so I will not be burdened with unexpected repairs.

I did seriously look at getting a second hand Yeti Se 140bhp 4x4 but a lot of them still seem around £18-£20k and I have got my new vehicle with metallic paint and winter pack for £17,700 with 3% finance