Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - brum

Need to buy new tyres 205 60 15V to replace original Dunlop SP01 fitted to octavia (27,000 miles / 18 months) the treadwear rating of these is 280.

Are treadwear ratings still stamped on tyres or has this all gone out the window with the new EU marking system (rating roll resistance/grip/noise).

From past experience Michelin Energy Saver tyres (with treadwear rating 400) lasted over twice as long as other brands I've used (Continental and Bridgstone).

With the introduction of the EU marking system, several new tyres have been introduced e.g. Dunlop Bluresponse, Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, as well as Michelin Energy Saver Plus which all claim significantly lower roll resistance/noise etc. However having a significantly longer lasting tyre is still important to me but no information on treadwear seem to be available.

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - Smileyman

I cannot answer your question but suggest you look at thsi web site, it might help.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

I'll be needing to replace my summer tyres in about 3 - 4 months time (probably hang on until next spring when I take the winter tyres off) and matters like yours will be of interest to me too.

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - RT

UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) for Treadwear, Temperature and Traction is nothing to do with EU or UK regulations - it's a USA-only system that tyre manufacturers leave on for sales here, just like the max load/pressure panel and DOT codes which also only apply in the USA.

Whilst it's true that good tyres get better ratings than poor tyres, the system is all but useless here particularly because of inconsistencies in Treadwear testing between manufacturers.

Even Americans don't give Treadwear full credence, prefering to rely on "guaranteed" mileage tyres" offered by manufacturers/dealers there - but when you realise they have guarantees from 40k miles up to 100k miles you realise that their tyre compounds are very different to ours, even in familiar versions - so for that reason alone, ignore any Tirerack comparisons you find on the interweb - they're very useful for Americans and Canadians but not for us - I wish we had something equivalent using tyres actually sold here.

Tyre Reviews is a good website but the information is based on subjective views and no-one admits buying rubbish products!

Edited by RT on 07/07/2013 at 09:18

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - Auristocrat

As far as I'm aware, Which? is the only organisation that includes an assessment of tyre wear in their tyre tests. For tyre sizes they test, they measure the wear over 5000km and extrapolate that to indicate total tyre life.

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - Bycro
Always had Michelin Pilot Sports fitted to my current car. Leased vehicle, company car.

I have to take it to a national franchise as per dictated by the lease company for new tyres. They always fit Michelin,and talking to the fitters they tell me that they are the best. I must admit that they last a long time. A new set for the front and I can achieve around 30,000 miles. Which for me is about ten months motoring. I have had other brands fitted to previous cars covering the same amount of mileage and they have lasted no where near as long.

Hope this helps Brum.
Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - Andrew-T
Always had Michelin Pilot Sports fitted to my current car. A new set for the front and I can achieve around 30,000 miles. Which for me is about ten months motoring. I have had other brands fitted to previous cars covering the same amount of mileage and they have lasted no where near as long.

This will clearly depend a lot on how and where you drive, but by rotating the tyres on our Pug 205 Dturbo (heavy wear at the front) we got 50K miles out of its original set of Michelin ZX's. We couldn't compare it with any other makes as we sold the car at 80K miles ....

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - bathtub tom

I understand the tread wear rating is only comparative within a manufacturer's range of tyres and not across different manufacturers.

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - brum

I understand the tread wear rating is only comparative within a manufacturer's range of tyres and not across different manufacturers.

Thats true - however:

I've found out from a helpful Goodyear/Dunlop Tech dept (its the same company) that the tyres i'm interested in (see OP) are Treadwear rated 340 as opposed to the Sport 01 tyre which was 280. The guy did stress that this information is for the U.S. and not applicable here, but I'm guessing that these tyres should last about 20% longer.

Only decision is whether to consider the Michelin Energy Saver Plus which I think will be rated 400+. I know from past experience they will last longer, but some comments I've seen consider them to have a more dangerous non progressive characteristic at the limit - i.e. break away suddenly at the limit.

Plus they are considerably more expensive.....decisions,decisions....

Tyre longevity, treadwear rating and EU marking - daveyjp
The Goodyear F1s I had on my X type had a higher figure than the Pirellis they replaced, they lasted half as long.

The Toyos I had fitted to the Aygo had a figure almost twice that of the Contis they replaced. When we traded the Toyos were hardly touched after 8,000 miles, after a similar mileage the Contis were swapped front to back as the fronts were at 3mm.