Buying a used family car - adele

Please can anyone advise what they think would be the best car/s to buy, we have 1 child plus 1 on the way and need a family car, it will mainly be driven locally plus on average about 50 miles on the motorway every week. We have a budget of between £4-5,000. Any advice appreciated?

Buying a used family car - veryoldbear

You are just entering the stage of life where you will need to be carting around vast quantities of Stuff inc car seats and later boosters, prams, pushchairs, bags of clobber etc etc. Therefore estate car.

50 a week plus some local suggests only about 5K miles per annum. Therefore petrol not diesel, and consumption is probably not critical.

The world is your mollusc.

You are just entering the stage of life where you will need to be carting around vast quantities of Stuff inc car seats and later boosters, prams, pushchairs, bags of clobber etc etc. Therefore estate car.

50 a week plus some local suggests only about 5K miles per annum. Therefore petrol not diesel, and consumption is probably not critical.

The world is your mollusc.

Ok, I'm not fancying an estate just yet (maybe when we have a dog too) but definitely a largish family car....was thinking a vectra or mondeo, but I'm not hearing good reports on the vectra and the only mondeos I can find for the money are diesel with lots of mileage. Any ideas?

Buying a used family car - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda 6 - Mondeo chassis, much cheaper to buy. You can fit an entire bed in the car with the seats folded down! There's a fair bit of choice for £4-5k; Honda Accord or a Civic, Toyota Avensis, Skoda Octavia....all large and roomy even when in hatchback form rather than estate. The common suggestion is a Ford B-Max or C-Max but that puts you in people carrier mode which is probably a bit saddo. Having said this, my parents put me, my sister, a dog and all our bits and bobs in an early 80s Mini.

Ok budgets:

£5k nets you:

2007/07 plate Skoda Octavia with about 35k on the clock

2005 (average!) Toyota Avensis with average miles

2007/56-07 Honda Civic with slightly over average mileage (not too much)

2005/6 Honda Accord about average mileage

2007/57 Mazda 6 with low-average mileage on the clock

based on Autotrader - all petrol manuals.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 03/07/2013 at 12:28

Mazda 6 - Mondeo chassis, much cheaper to buy. You can fit an entire bed in the car with the seats folded down! There's a fair bit of choice for £4-5k; Honda Accord or a Civic, Toyota Avensis, Skoda Octavia....all large and roomy even when in hatchback form rather than estate. The common suggestion is a Ford B-Max or C-Max but that puts you in people carrier mode which is probably a bit saddo. Having said this, my parents put me, my sister, a dog and all our bits and bobs in an early 80s Mini.

Ok budgets:

£5k nets you:

2007/07 plate Skoda Octavia with about 35k on the clock

2005 (average!) Toyota Avensis with average miles

2007/56-07 Honda Civic with slightly over average mileage (not too much)

2005/6 Honda Accord about average mileage

2007/57 Mazda 6 with low-average mileage on the clock

based on Autotrader - all petrol manuals.

Thank you very much for this information - that's great! Really like the Mazda 6, seen one relatively close to us a 57 plate, 58k mile, 2.0 TS....for £4490...

Buying a used family car - Happy Blue!

I would forget saloons and regular hatchbacks if only to save your back.

Car seats and babies are heavy and putting them into back seats of cars hurts your back. You are better with a car with higher seats such as a smaller five seat MPV or SUV. So something like: -

Ford C-Max or;

Nissan Qashqai

They are not saddo cars!

Buying a used family car - car67

Are you opting for an extended rear facing child seat at any point?

I have to say I have a mondeo 2007 1.8tdci and I average around 600-700 miles a tank of diesel. I am happy with this. It's a fine spacious car, and I do believe that that fiel consumption is better than a petrol mazda. I will stand to be corrected though.

There's plenty of room in the mondeos, actually not bad to drive for a large car - very comfortable, 6 speed gearbox and a huge boot.

I have an extended rear facing child seat and there is tons of room. Hoping to keep my wee one in it and rear facing until at least 5, or til weight permits.

Buying a used family car - barney100

Think about a Volvo saloon, there are lots of models to choose from and last a long time with tlc. toyota Ravs are a good bet too.

Buying a used family car - Snakey

Vauxhall Zafira? Loads around, cheap as chips and stay away from the diesels and they're pretty reliable. I've owned/driven several and they're not exactly class leading but you get masses of space for your money.

Buying a used family car - oldtoffee

Mondeo or Zafira for best value, space and cheap to run. I know someone who bought a 4 year old Zafira 1.6 petrol for 6 years as his family car. Serviced it 3 times, didn't get the belt done despite my advice and had new discs and pads and nothing whatever went wrong with it apart from it used a bit of oil and when he trded it in it was losing a bit of coolant. I borrowed it a few times (for the 7 seats) and thought it went well for a 1.6 and was surprisingly refined on the motorway. I'd have a 2 litre petrol Mondeo myself at that price point as the high VED rates have been hurting their used price for a few years now and they drive so well.

Edited by oldtoffee on 05/07/2013 at 17:31