MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - roadking09
Is there anybody out there who is in the same boat as I am?
I have been waiting almost 8 weeks for a offside door barrel lock for my new Mini Cooper from BMW in Germany. BMW customer services have told me the part is in now in Germany after 8 weeks of chasing around in circles! BMW customer services still can't tell me when the part will be delivered to England!
They don't seem to that bothered about their customers, I've asked why they can't send the part by DHL or some other service! Just getting blanked by customer services. Does anybody have any suggestions how I might get some response?
MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - gordonbennet

If your car is insecure, demand a loan car whilst yours is safely secured in their compound, i suspect your part will arrive in short order.

Is this really a 2013 car?, if so its seems about as well made as my friends John Cooper jobbie, which is back yet again for repairs, just like the last two.

edit, forgive my simple mindedness, why is your part supposedly in Germany when the car factory and presumably the parts to make them with are at Cowley?

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/07/2013 at 22:35

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - Collos25

They do not make many actual parts in the UK presumably.

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - daveyjp
Our £7k Aygo was delivered with a boot lock which didn't work. We drove to the dealer, they gave us keys for a courtesy car, left our car with them and two days later it was fixed.

I'd be demanding the same of BMW.
MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - gordonbennet

No, probably from sweat shops in various holes if this is an example of durability, but after 8 weeks with a 2013 build overpriced car it shouldn't be beyond the wit of someone to grab a widget bearing the right part number out the parts bin at the track at Cowley, stuff it in an envelope and post it to the seemingly useless dealer.

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - TeeCee

grab a widget bearing the right part number out the parts bin at the track at Cowley

It's a door lock barrel. Presumably it has to be ordered made to match the existing ones and keys. The alternative would be to change all the locks (including the ignition) on the car.

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - galileo

Must ship them in JIT and one-for-one with no extra margin. I worked in Materials/Purchase and Supply for years and if there was a supplier problem, production and spares demands had to be carefully balanced. Spares businesses often have separate warehouses and possible their own supplier scheduling system.

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - elekie&a/c doctor

What can be faulty with a new Mini door lock?Does anyone actually put the key in the door any longer?Surely the remote will lock/unlock the car.There is no ignition key on this model.hth

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - jc2

And only in the past couple of days,someone was praising BMW spares,still that was for a REAL BMW!

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - madf

I would write to BMW's UK MD and complain politely on 1 page with a second detailing who said what to whom.

The dealership appear a bunch of wasters.. (or a similar ruder word.)

MINI Cooper 2013 - Parts delivery frustration - oldroverboy.

If as someone thinks it is a barrel with matching key number up to 1 month IS normal. if the car can be locked and unlocked using the remote, surely not a problem, But my personal opinion is that 8 weeks and counting is not good, these particular barrels are made in germany if my memory serves me well. when i wanted a new programmed key which had to come to my dealer from germany it was 10 days.

While there is a delay it is no worse than most others, (Try Chevrolet!)

Nobody stocks anything at a dealers anymore other than service parts and all manufacturers stock only the bare minimum projected (someone takes a wild guess and halves it)

Inventorycosts money, as the bean counters come before customer service.

Hopefully the Op will remember this issue at next purchase.