Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - maca1

Hi, I am thinking of buying a Laguna Coupe - 5 years old - 33k - 3 previous owners. Everything looks ok. Slight concern following test drive - feels a bit sluggish between 3rd/4th/5th gears although nothing dramatic. Also, oil looks a bit dirty and water in bottle is a bit 'tea coloured'. Also, not completely sure but it only has one exhaust pipe which does not look like the original and only one - the versions from 2010 have two - does anyone know whether the 2008 model had one or two?

Complete novice in respect of car mechanics. Car being sold by Jag garage who had it as a part exchange. Comes with three month warranty. Also gets MOTd by an independant garage prior to us picking it up. Spoke to sales man and expressed my concern - he said it had been through their mechanics who said it was ok but that he would get it checked specifically for the issues I have raised tomorrow.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - gordonbennet

If its a Diesel then the oil will be pitch black, in a petrol it should still be a golden colour but will get a little discoloured when nearing service time but should never turn black in a car of this mileage.

Which water is tea coloured, washer or coolant?, washer bottle might be going a bit stagnant and needs cleaning, that happens to mine as i seldom use the washers.

Coolant should be either green or pink/red, anything else and i'd be inclined to walk away, sure its not the translucent header (if fitted) tank giving a false impression of colour.

Exhaust i have no idea about and i haven't a clue what it should drive like, a Diesel will need to get to around 1600 to 2000rpm before power comes quickly on stream, below that it will seem sluggish.

3 owners seems one too many to me but it could indeed be right if it was originally a demo or perk car for 6 months, or had a personal plate fitted.

If you really like this car pay an expert to independantly examine it for you and give you a written report.

Salesmen like politicians will tell you what you want to hear, you would do well to dismiss anything they say, however this does not apply to all, but neither good men nor con men have their respective titles tattooed on their foreheads, more's the pity..

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/06/2013 at 10:35

Thanks for your comments - they are really useful.

The water is the coolant water but can't recall whether there was a translucent header or not.

Think i'll take your advice regarding an independant review of the car just to be on the 'safe side'.

Many thanks for your help

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - Cyd

If the coolant is 'tea coloured', ie brown-ish, then I would be inclined to suspect corrosion in the cooling system.

At 5 years this is poor. Coolant (orange or red variety) has a working life of 5 years so a 5 year old car is due a change, but there should be no corrosion. So, this suggests that the coolant has been {partially or fully} drained at some point and simply refilled with water. A leak perhaps? head ever been off?

If the car is fine in all other respects (have an inspection) then you could thoroughly flush the cooling system and refill with the proper mix. As long as it's not too far gone it should then remain trouble free.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - Fernando P

What model and engine designation? Is it petrol or diesel?

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - madf

Any doubt about a Renault cooling system? Run away.

Their past reliability record means if you must buy one, buy one that has been well maintained and driven with some degree of care as evidenced by condition..

I am surprised no-one says what would be self evident to anyone having read of the shambles they have made of prior models.

Edit: check the length of time the third owner had it and the mielage. If less than 12 months, they are selling it before the bills come in my view.

Edited by madf on 30/06/2013 at 17:50

Thanks for your help - wasn't aware of the past history. Waiting for info from dealer about owners and time held. Thanks for the tips.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - Cyd

Thinking about this some more since earlier:

if this were me I wouldn't buy it. A five year old car should not show any signs of corrosion in the coolant system. This smacks of the car having previous shoddy servicing and care generally.

I wasn't aware Renaults had a reputation for cooling problems, so that clinches it for me.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - bathtub tom

>> Comes with three month warranty.

Ignore that! You've far more protection as you're buying it from a dealer.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - barney100

If you are at all unsure there are loads of cars out there so you can take your time.

Renault Laguna Coupe - Help needed after test drive - Smileyman

If the windscreen washer water is stale flush it away and rinse the system. Stagnant stale water has the potenital to be very harmful, make sure you don't breath in the spores. When refilling include some screen wash - this will ensure any bugs in the system get killed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1288498/Lung-infections-showers-flu-cashpoints--surprising-places-diseases-lurk.html