Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - DavidBlaney1984
It's been asked a million times, but DSG really can't be that problematic can it? I want to be proven wrong and all comments are welcome. One 'problem' I'm reading everywhere is the delay when pulling away, stop/starting. I'm not putting dsg owners down but isn't this made clear by VW? It's to do with the brake lights being linked to the dsg in some way for selecting gears? Also, is there some sense in reverse and second gear being on the same shaft and when coming to a stop if the car is not brought to stationary stop rather than coast the dsg is confused I.e will the driver slow down or will he/she want to reverse???
As for the mechatronic unit, well, the car must be purchased with a decent warranty that covers this. Therefore only vw will cover this based on my experience with flappy paddle semi autos.
Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - Snakey

From my own experience (2007 Passat TDI DSG) I found the DSG gearbox was good, but not good enough to make me keep it after a few problems. Mine became jerky and sloppy to change gear and fortunately within the warranty the mechatronic unit was replaced (the cost would have been £1500-2000 depending on who I asked!)

So even when it was fixed under warranty I was wary of of it failing again. It also seemed rather unresponsive when you needed to pull away fairly quickly, or when slowing down at a roundabout - then accelerating again when you saw a decent gap. Brilliant in slow moving traffic though but I went back to manual.

I have spoken to VW today regarding extended warranties & specific components and was slightly disappointed with their feedback. They give the best warranty available on approved used in the whole of the uk I was told, until I mentioned the options kia offer when the guy backtracked. Anyway, I basically found out that I cannot go to a vw dealer and buy an approved used with a warranty longer than 12 months. Even if I wanted to pay for it they won't offer it. I also mentioned the mechatronic units as well as dsg and the guy couldn't give me an ounce of feedback regarding warranty/cover.
My next option. . . Get a used vw and bank an emergency £1500 as contingency!!
Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - RT

At introduction and for a long time afterwards, the Network Q warranty on used cars was said to be the best - has that changed ?

Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - coopshere
Why would you want to buy a car that you knew would probably need repair under warranty?
I dont coopsphere that's why I'm getting as much advice as possible
Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - balleballe

Do VAG really produce a car you want so badly that you're willing to put aside 1500 for the inevitable breakdown of the DSG unit? Must be why they're doing so well

P.S - 1.5k may not be enough. the entire DSG system costs around 7k

Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - gordonbennet

Do VAG really produce a car you want so badly that you're willing to put aside 1500 for the inevitable breakdown of the DSG unit? Must be why they're doing so well

P.S - 1.5k may not be enough. the entire DSG system costs around 7k

VW group seem to be where BMW were about 10 years ago, they could polish a old tin bath up fit some pram wheels and so long as it sported the right badge it would sell to a certain type of buyer, with minimal warranty and a severe lack of goodwill as a bonus, amazing.

Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - Avant

As I've said on other threads on this subject, the wet-clutch DSG is more reliable than the dry-clutch version.

The wet-clutch box is also fine for parking, manoeuvring etc. whereas I believe the dry-clutch is jerky.

Edited by Avant on 29/06/2013 at 21:29

You're all right, DSG is off my list!!!

Just too much risk and not enough confidence
Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - oldgit

I just don't see the attraction of these over-engineered but inevitably flawed DSG boxes. They're fine if you don't have to keep on stopping in heavy traffic and have to creep a lot and manoeuvre in tight places. Give me a 7/8 speed auto box with a torque converter.

Although I might look at 6 speed reliability, just a look!!
Just make sure you do it with both eyes ;-)
Haha! Coops it's simply coz I'm after a passat cc I think you've commented on another of my threads.
No stone will be unturned on this!! In the end I'll give up and go down the torque converter route!!! I know I will haha
I know how frustrating it is when you think you have found the car to suit you only to find one problem, in your case the DSG.

I thought it was my ideal car too until I did the research, if it came with a conventional auto I would be driving around in the CC now, but it didn't and I'm not.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Volkswagen - Dsg gearboxes - daveyK_UK

DSG has a reputation based on facts for a reason.

Avoid.

I've started a new topic to get feedback on other auto transmission technology but I can't seem to let dsg go at the minute.
Alot of people are saying the 6 speed is smooth, the 7 is abit jerky, mechatronics can fail etc etc.
what I would also like to know is how many 6 speed mechs fail in comparison to 7 speed. The bulk of peoples issues are stating jerky 7 speeds. But is that not the nature of the dry 7 speed???? Being jerky is one thing, which I still believe can be rectified with driving technique. The other thing is reliability. I'm not seeing many '7 speed failures' or 7 speed mech replacements. The mech is sealed inside the 7 speed, which vw are stating is maintenance free
Well people finally got round to driving a dsg myself, in a skoda fabia VRS estate. It was different class. Yes it was a '13 plate with 4000 miles on but the dsg was amazing. I didn't even realise I'd got it up to 5th, not even the slightest blip or vibration.
Now I want to comment on the lag/delay at junctions. It did it TWICE on my test drive (approx. 3 miles). I have to say it wasn't even for half a second both times. If this is the norm I will live with that. There was the prefect amount of creep in 1st and parking it was so easy.
Someone who said he wouldn't get DSG has been easily converted!!!